Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Eurorack Hardware > Vector Sequencer

Old 03-01-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.turner View Post

Anyone using Pamela's NW with the Vector to send time and correct resets? I need to use PNW to slave the Circadian Rhythms as well so can not really rely on Yarns easily.
I have had this working (from memory) but I am using my pam's expander with the MIDI out to drive the Vector right now. I've got 2 PNW's so can re-try the other way tomorrow.

From your description, have you got a run signal into Vector? I think you need a Run signal and Clock connected to use RC24?

I think you have to use CR/1 mode for *just* a clock and reset arrangement? But (again from memory) in CR/1 mode the clock steps the sequencer, so you need to use 1x from pam's clock, not 24x.

John

Last edited by blackdoors; 03-01-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb808 View Post
one other minor thing i noticed in 1.0.7 and 1.0.8 - the background LED color setting seems to be working a little strangely or i don't understand it. you can't change foreground and background LED color independently.
I have this fixed for the next build. The issue is that the UI isn't updating. There's a workaround: use Encoder 1 to toggle between parts to get the UI to update. I also tweaked a few of the colors a bit....

Jim
Old 03-01-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdoors View Post
I have had this working (from memory) but I am using my pam's expander with the MIDI out to drive the Vector right now. I've got 2 PNW's so can re-try the other way tomorrow.

From your description, have you got a run signal into Vector? I think you need a Run signal and Clock connected to use RC24?

I think you have to use CR/1 mode for *just* a clock and reset arrangement? But (again from memory) in CR/1 mode the clock steps the sequencer, so you need to use 1x from pam's clock, not 24x.

John
Thanks mate there’s no need I worked it out and revised my post. Everything is working like a charm now and I went back and purchased the expender as well.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:59 AM

No prob, Steve. I’ve found PNW and vector to be a great combo and I think at least one pam’s expander is well worth the hp (for the solid midi clock and din functionality). I think the Vector expander is worth the outlay for those with medium size or up racks too, unless you have a lot of midi-cv and clock gen capability in your rack.

Thanks for your efforts Jim, 1.08 seems really pretty well behaved here.

One minor report from me: changing outputs (in globals) for a part that’s playing can result in stuck notes. Especially noticeable on midi here, but I think can happen on the analogue outputs too.

Hoping to explore a bit more the next few days!

John
Old 03-02-2019, 05:03 AM

One thing I can not do is get MIDI TO CV working as expected using the JEXP unit. My process thus far.

Midi Keyboard - Arturia Keystep Pro - Channel 4
Global, Next, Dial R until J-EXP MIDI
Set CH:4 to Part 4

I would assume this should configure the Vector to expect notes on Channel 4 and push them to the Pitch and Gate on CV OUT 4.

When I do REC, STEP, JEXP that works fine with correct notes from the Arturia. Playing sequences triggers the external synth just fine, so the Pitch and Gate CVs are working.

How do I get the Vector running as a Midi to CV converter to play notes live? Clearly the keyboard is talking to the Vector, but the notes arent then being pumped out to the connected synth.

I have tried REC, THRU, J-EXP but that didn't work.

Last edited by steve.turner; 03-02-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:36 AM

Hi Jim - think this is a bug report?

Midi sync (clock) is not being sent unless the Sync Source is set to INT (tested with sync source set to RC, JExpMIDI and JExpDIN, and no joy).

John

(Update - see below!)

Last edited by blackdoors; 03-02-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.turner View Post
One thing I can not do is get MIDI TO CV working as expected using the JEXP unit. My process thus far.

Midi Keyboard - Arturia Keystep Pro - Channel 4
Global, Next, Dial R until J-EXP MIDI
Set CH:4 to Part 4

I would assume this should configure the Vector to expect notes on Channel 4 and push them to the Pitch and Gate on CV OUT 4.
Not exactly, sounds like you are configuring output channels, if I understand you correctly then doing that will send Vector part 4's notes to the JExp Midi out port output on channel 4.

To push notes to the CV outputs you have configured for a part, choose the part, go into record mode, select THRU and the MIDI IN port you are using. No idea how you control which channel it looks for in this mode, as far as I know you can’t. I didn't test but its either responds to ALL or CH1 I would guess....

Last edited by blackdoors; 03-02-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdoors View Post
Hi Jim - think this is a bug report?

Midi sync (clock) is not being sent unless the Sync Source is set to INT (tested with sync source set to RC, JExpMIDI and JExpDIN, and no joy).

John
Update - After I gave vector a reboot - now clock is being sent as expected.

However it seems that MIDI transport start messages are still not being sent from the midi outputs when Vector is started running in External Sync mode.

Consequently, other devices are syncing (or at least they follow the tempo), but their sequencers are not starting when Vector runs.

Is this by design? Or is something not right?

Everything works as expected when Vector is in internal sync mode, and the run button is pushed.

John

Last edited by blackdoors; 03-02-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:40 AM

PS - been busy playing today, there's still a lot of sources of stuck MIDI notes around, stopping the sequencer is still not sending all the needed note offs to MIDI (as well as some edge-cases like changing outputs etc can result in stuck notes).
Old 03-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Administrator

There are some things coming in the next build to address that issue. Should be out next week.

Cheers,
Jim