Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 PM

I was noticing this issue too. Is there a standard rule for using manual track delay this way (as in, how much latency is introduced)? I was totally bummed as this kind of eliminates one of the two big advantages of au over rewire in live (the other being of course saving with the project). Am sending a feature request to Live immediately.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
I was noticing this issue too. Is there a standard rule for using manual track delay this way (as in, how much latency is introduced)? I was totally bummed as this kind of eliminates one of the two big advantages of au over rewire in live (the other being of course saving with the project). Am sending a feature request to Live immediately.

Thanks.
I wonder what feature request you have in mind..
Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 AM

Direct to MIDI output for au.

Anyone have any suggestions on calculating track delay?

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I was noticing this issue too. Is there a standard rule for using manual track delay this way (as in, how much latency is introduced)? I was totally bummed as this kind of eliminates one of the two big advantages of au over rewire in live (the other being of course saving with the project).
Now you know why I was so hesitant to do an AU version. And if you think latency was a hassle, don't even get me started on note scheduling, but at least the latter issue seems to be worked out.

Quote:
Am sending a feature request to Live immediately.
Thanks very much, that is what it will take to get such features in -- user requests. Ditto for Logic users. Hopefully now that there is less of a "chicken and egg" problem (i.e. an AU that makes a serious stab at generating MIDI), they will start to pay attention.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions on calculating track delay?
Roughly 2 audio buffers + a 'smidgen'. Once I get everything in order for the release I'll put up a demo video showing how to tune timing both in Live & Logic.

To calculate the length of a buffer in ms, use this forumula:

<ms per buffer> = (<buffer size> / <sample rate>) * 1000

So for Live, w/ a 512 sample buffer @ 44100Khz, I start at around 23ms and adjust from there. I setup a quarter-note pattern in the AU, record it into live, and watch where the notes fall in the note grid.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-10-2010, 10:50 AM

It's funny. I always assume all these protocols will just work, but the number of tiny incompatibilities that actually interfere with workflow is astounding.

Thanks for the calculation on latency. With rewire, I can at least hear the track as it sounds and then nudge the whole track after the fact. But I love the idea of a working au implementation. I recently upgraded to Max4Live and Numerology still kills their step sequencer. The LiveControl template in TouchOSC is good for quick stuff but not for serious programming.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It's funny. I always assume all these protocols will just work, but the number of tiny incompatibilities that actually interfere with workflow is astounding.
There's a lot more "under the hood" drama that goes on with plugin specs than I think anyone other than developers realize.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Now you know why I was so hesitant to do an AU version. And if you think latency was a hassle, don't even get me started on note scheduling, but at least the latter issue seems to be worked out.

Thanks very much, that is what it will take to get such features in -- user requests. Ditto for Logic users. Hopefully now that there is less of a "chicken and egg" problem (i.e. an AU that makes a serious stab at generating MIDI), they will start to pay attention.

Cheers,
Jim
if AU makes problems would a vst version solve that or make it easier to solve?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by verstaerker View Post
if AU makes problems would a vst version solve that or make it easier to solve?
Probably -- I know VSTs can generate MIDI, but I don't know the spec very well, and that solution only works for Ableton and Cubase. Since I know the AU spec much better, and it is a bit more widely supported on Mac, I went for that first. I'll be looking at the option of doing a VST version sometime after 3.0 is released.

Having solved the note scheduling issue, really the only tweaky bit about the AU is latency adjustment, which really isn't that hard to do, and the next build to come out makes it even easier.

Best,
Jim
Old 12-15-2010, 12:25 AM

you know what? i never noticed that latency since it's quite small on my system (96kHz, 256 samples = 2.6ms) - only when it got mentioned here i tried recording the mididata from Num and noticed the offset