Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 08-28-2011, 12:00 PM

I'm having an issue with Num3.1 48 in Live.
It keeps dropping out.
If I add another instance or switch "stacks" with the Launchpad or sometimes for no reason at all, it will stutter or drop out completely.
If I run Num3 rewired to Live I don't have this issue.
My processor usage is only at about 20 with some audio and FX going so I don't think I'm over doing it.
Also, it happens even if using only 1 instance of Num3 VST.
I didn't do anything special to set up Launchpad to work with the VST. It just worked like it did before when rewired to Live, so I don't know if there is an issue with that.

That being said, this is the first release I've installed in a while and the first time I've used it as a plug in. I LOVE THIS!!!! Once it's smoothed out it will be amazing!!!!

Thanks for all your hard work!

-iPad support?
-b
Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgreyarea View Post
I'm having an issue with Num3.1 48 in Live.
It keeps dropping out.
If I add another instance or switch "stacks" with the Launchpad or sometimes for no reason at all, it will stutter or drop out completely.
If I run Num3 rewired to Live I don't have this issue.
My processor usage is only at about 20 with some audio and FX going so I don't think I'm over doing it.
Also, it happens even if using only 1 instance of Num3 VST.
I didn't do anything special to set up Launchpad to work with the VST. It just worked like it did before when rewired to Live, so I don't know if there is an issue with that.
Start N3 standalone and check the prefs to make sure Logging is set to Low or Off. If the dropouts persist, send me an email....

Quote:
That being said, this is the first release I've installed in a while and the first time I've used it as a plug in. I LOVE THIS!!!! Once it's smoothed out it will be amazing!!!!

Thanks for all your hard work!
Groovy, thanks!

Quote:
-iPad support?
Stay tuned...
Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant View Post
So far enjoying the update a lot; it is much more stable. VST is the greatest thing in the world. Except: I wish I could find documentation (manual?) of the real time pattern recording mode

There are brief instructions in the 3.1 manual on page 66. Since the realtime recording mode settings also work for regular MIDI input, the "Run Mode Settings" section starting on page 81 are also a bit relevant, but not necessary, as the Launchpad setup is designed to not require any user-initiated changes to those settings.

Here is a step by step with the MonoNote -- assuming you already have the Launchpad running:

- First, you really want to have a timing reference, otherwise it is very difficult to get predictable results -- that is why in the demo video the first part of the drum pattern is entered in edit mode. So setup a stack with either a simple melodic pattern or a drum pattern -- such as bass drum on 1 & 3, snare on 2 & 4.

- Then setup a stack for realtime programming: Add a MonoNote (or PolyNote, or DrumSeq), and add an AU or route the sound source of your choice. Program in a test pattern just to verify your connections are working, then erase the test pattern.

- Start the transport, and listen to your timing reference pattern for a couple bars until you can 'feel' the beat. On the Launchpad, navigate to the module you want to record into, and choose the 'Play' page -- the 2nd scene button down from the top. You might want to take a couple more bars to hum or otherwise pre-imagine the pattern you want to play, then play it on the pads as if the launchpad was a keyboard.

Your initial results will probably seem off-tempo or just plain sloppy. Don't panic, it takes a bit of practice to get the timing right -- the Launchpad's buttons are not quite as responsive for this kind of work as some other controllers are. Start with simple patterns or even specific exercises: two half notes, four quarter notes, etc.

Also very useful: Start with your sequencer running at 1/8th notes (instead of the usual 1/16th notes), and a pattern only 8 steps (1 bar) long for practicing. And use a slow tempo. -- Note the tempo I used for the video is only 90bpm, and both of the pitched patterns are 1/8th note patterns. It is actually quite difficult to record a pattern accurately at 1/16th notes and a faster than moderato (120bpm) tempo -- but then accuracy isn't always what one is looking for...

Finally, keep in mind that pattern recording is always in 'overdub' mode -- so you can record things in multiple passes. Use any 'non keyboard' button to erase -- and only erasing bits of a pattern can be quite interesting....

If you run into any issues, definitely drop me a note. There are a few tweaks I'm planning for this feature, including a 'default velocity' setting, a dedicated erase button and a 'clear this pattern' button.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant View Post
... as well as for VST routing within another DAW (Live 8.) I am struggling and guessing with both; they don't seem to be as intuitive as the modes or modules that I am familiar with. Thanks in advance.
In Live, use the "Input Type" and "Input Channel" menus on the target instrument track to route MIDI to it. Step by step:
- Add the Numerology VST
- Add some other instrument -- FM8 in the picture below.
- On the target instrument channel (i.e. FM8), select the "MIDI From" to be the track with the Numerology VST on it, and in the menu below, select "Numerology VST" as the "channel".

Cheers,
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: png LiveScreenSnapz007.png (15.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post

stay tuned...

quit teasing!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2000 View Post
hello all

when i open numerology in vst with a second monitor on my macbook pro it wont let me move the window around, and when it pops up the top half is not on the screen, and cant move it.

au version works fine,
when i unplug second monitor the vst works fine also,

anyone else?

Confirmed. If you have Live's main window on the 'primary' monitor, then close and re-open the editor window, it should open correctly. I'm working on a fix...

Jim
Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM

Hi,
Since the introduction of the vst, I'm not able to import stacks made in stand-alone, that contain AU synths.
Before a Numerology AU could load them, offcourse bypassing the loaded AU synth.
Is this a conflict between vst & au ?
I saved all my stacks now without an AU in it, to be able to load it into Live, but I was just curious if this is a known issue.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifaka View Post
Hi,
Since the introduction of the vst, I'm not able to import stacks made in stand-alone, that contain AU synths.
Before a Numerology AU could load them, offcourse bypassing the loaded AU synth.
Is this a conflict between vst & au ?
I saved all my stacks now without an AU in it, to be able to load it into Live, but I was just curious if this is a known issue.
Confirmed & fixed for the next build...

Jim
Old 09-03-2011, 04:19 AM

Rewired to Logic or Live if you manually stop a sequencer in Numerology with it's personal stop button shortcut and then click on the master transport start button or hit space bar you are unable to start your individual sequencers at all.

What seems to be happening is that clicking the personal stop button is not sending a stop message to the rewire host, but it is to Numerology itself. So stopping the transport in Logic or Live before starting Numerology makes things work as normal. Also, stopping and starting Numerology from the master transport a second time starts those sequencers back up because this time the host gets the stop message.

Sorry if this has been covered (perhaps it's one of the many vagaries of rewire?) or fixed in the latest build, which I'll grab when I get home.

ETA:looked at manual, discovered manual mode!

Last edited by jonahs; 09-03-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahs View Post
Rewired to Logic or Live if you manually stop a sequencer in Numerology with it's personal stop button shortcut and then click on the master transport start button or hit space bar you are unable to start your individual sequencers at all.

What seems to be happening is that clicking the personal stop button is not sending a stop message to the rewire host, but it is to Numerology itself. So stopping the transport in Logic or Live before starting Numerology makes things work as normal. Also, stopping and starting Numerology from the master transport a second time starts those sequencers back up because this time the host gets the stop message.
I'll check it...

Jim