Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 08-10-2009, 01:46 PM

Hi Jim,

Having thought about this for a few days, and seen the posts, a few things really interest me:

MIDI recorder - this would make it much easier to create sequences in Numerology and then use them in Logic
Audio recording for all tracks - again, this would make it easier to get audio into Logic

As I mentioned in my previous post, one of the main reasons I use Logic is because it allows me to freeze tracks on my MacBook. Over the weekend I started wondering if it would be difficult to take the "audio recording for all tracks" feature, and build a basic "freeze" implementation in the "Timeline" panel.

If I could have this, then I wouldn't need to save audio and import it into Logic - Rewire would be sufficient.

Then all would want are bidirectional audio and MIDI over Rewire (not even sure that is possible!).
Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaishya View Post
Then all would want are bidirectional audio and MIDI over Rewire (not even sure that is possible!).
Bidirectional MIDI is possible (I can have bidirectional MIDI between Reaper and Numerology 2, for example, while I can also receive audio from N2 to Reaper).

For audio I don't think so, but I'm not really sure.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator

The ReWire API supports bi-directional MIDI, but no hosts that I know of support it. Of course, you can use virtual ports or IAC busses to route MIDI around.

Rewire does not support audio streaming from the 'mixer' app to the 'device' app, but there is no reason that I cannot support audio input directly from an audio device, either hardware or a software option like soundflower.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-30-2009, 10:32 AM

Default humble opinion

hi

first of all: I haven't bought Numerology yet... I'm 'really' testing it and I'm amazed by the unlimited possibilities it offers.

and since I just read all this I'm 'voting' now

I'd use it mainly to control external hardware, and then record all that back into the computer in some other app.
in this case then it'd make sense to have an AU and just one single recording app running...

still I prefer Numerology stand-alone !
I'd want to concentrate on Numerology,
(after I get something done I could just record some tracks and mix the whole thing...)

I like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corlin3 View Post
Thank you Jim. Not many developers engage in such a dialog about the future nature of there work. I applaud such effort.

I am one of those who fall clearly on the no-plug-in side.

I use Logic as my main DAW, and have it open and running most of the time. Numerology is where I do most of the heavy lifting of creating and playing around with sonic ideas, and rhythms. It is where I compose.

Now maybe it is my age, but I find, I need to stay focused on one thing at a time, and to keep in mind the big picture of the work being produced. The very rich set of tools Numerology gives me, allow me to work the way I have always wished for, to compose. This is compared to the “create-snip-punch-in” method many others use. Now there is nothing wrong with any method anyone would invent, and I mean no disrespect.

For my work, I see no need to have Numerology running as a plug-in. In fact it might get in the way. I often am working on pieces 20 to 60 min in length, with maybe 5- 20 stacks, I am not mixing these down, nor adding or tweaking effects, and I need to stay aware of the whole composition. This is exactly what Numerology is great at doing. For me the single most important part of a finished work, IS the finished work, not the mechanics of how it was produced, or it’s sonic deconstruction.

So I vote for No Plug-In, Let it stand free!
cheers