Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 10-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Default An Update on El Capitan....

So it looks like one of the graphic APIs that Numerology uses and has worked fine for a very, very long time is now broken in OS X 10.11. Fixing it means a fair bit of me changing things around to use newer API calls. Affected areas are significant: adding modules, cabling, and wiper drawing in the timeline.

These issues are cosmetic (i.e. drawing) issues, and everything else seems to work fine, but it does make it rather hard to make cable connections. There is a somewhat amusing workaround in that case:

Before dragging to connect two ports, put your finger on the screen at the target port --literally, finger on the monitor. When you start dragging, the routing view will become scaled up in a weird way. Ignore that bit and just drag to where your finger is. When you release the mouse, you should see the correct graphics and a new connection.

I'll post more news as I have it. This is my top priority, but I also don't want to do a rush job on this one...

Jim
Old 10-10-2015, 05:36 PM

Mavericks here, and for a long time until Apple calm down a bit...used to be bleeding edge with OS's, learnt my lesson.

any other news? ;-)
Old 10-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantize View Post
any other news? ;-)
... I also have gotten a Launchpad Pro -- I have the grid mapping running, just need to do a full test suite + regression test the Lpad MkII...

Jim
Old 10-10-2015, 09:52 PM

i would welcome a test build!

ty 4 the great news!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
There is a somewhat amusing workaround in that case . . .
Sounds like you've put your finger on the problem.

Yesterday, I spent two hundred dollars on a piece of software that I know is broken, because the trial period has ended and even in its hobbled state I can't live with out it. I think that's a first. I absolutely cannot believe that I've gone this long without Numerology.

I'm a developer as well, and I know the kind of job/problem you're talking about. Total pain, but it pays to go slow and make sure you catch everything. Good luck with the patch!

Steve
Old 10-15-2015, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramsay View Post
Sounds like you've put your finger on the problem.
Indeed!

Quote:
Yesterday, I spent two hundred dollars on a piece of software that I know is broken, because the trial period has ended and even in its hobbled state I can't live with out it. I think that's a first. I absolutely cannot believe that I've gone this long without Numerology.
Wow, I'm not going to complain about that!

Quote:
I'm a developer as well, and I know the kind of job/problem you're talking about. Total pain, but it pays to go slow and make sure you catch everything. Good luck with the patch!
Things are moving along smoothly -- Dragging to add a module works smoothly, and cable dragging is almost working properly. After that, just the timeline, which I think will be easy. Best ETA right now is early next week, but I could get a preliminary build for anyone on 10.11 probably tomorrow...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-15-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
but I could get a preliminary build for anyone on 10.11 probably tomorrow...
Well, that would be me. I'm using the latest El Capitan beta, in fact, because I'm an idiot and ignored all warnings about wayward AUs (I wasn't able to even get Cubase to open without crashing).

A little OT, but while I was waiting for either Apple or Steinberg to do something, I decided to go back to REAPER (which, of course, worked fine). Doing the routing I wanted for Numerology in REAPER took me about five minutes; it took me days to figure it out with Cubase. So I suppose there's an upside. I've now found a DAW that works really well with the way I want to do things in Numerology.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:26 PM
Administrator

... It doesn't look like I will have a preliminary fix build in place today, will let folks know as soon as I have one...

Jim
Old 10-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Fixes are all in place -- just a couple tweaks that can wait till later in the week. I'll be making a full build and regression testing tonight, posting in the morning -- so I'm around if there are any surprises...

Cheers,
Jim

PS: And yes, this build has Lpad Pro & MkII support...
Old 10-22-2015, 02:07 PM

Hi, Jim,

Where can I find the latest builds?

I was using 4.1 pre (*) and the download link now is a 404.

For 4.0 I see build 147 is there, but that has been there for a while or am I wrong?

Thanks!

(*) just because, same reason I jumped into El Capitán.