Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Controllers

Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Default Novation Launchpad Support

Starting with version 2.3, Numerology offers extensive support for the Novation Launchpad. This post is your one-stop guide for information about this mapping.

A quick-reference guide & templates for stickers you can print are here:
http://files.five12.com/N2-Lpad-Templates.zip

FYI: the "sticker" file is formatted for Avery 8253 labels as sold in the US. These are 2" x 4" labels with 10 labels on a 8.5" x 11" sheet. These particular labels print well, but tend to leave a residue on the plastic when pulled off later. Both .png and photoshop format files are present so you can modify the template as you see fit.

Using Numerology & the Launchpad with Automap:

The Launchpad has a very simple MIDI protocol, which is what makes it so easy to work with, but also makes it difficult to use with more than one program at a time. To disable the Launchpad from Automap while using it with Numerology, hold down the User1, User2 and Mixer buttons while pressing the "down arrow" button. Pushing those buttons again will re-enable the Launchpad for use with Automap.

Last edited by jim; 07-26-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:16 AM

You should get sponsored by Novation. After reading the extatic user experiences with Numerology and Launchpad, I had to go get one.

I`m happy to say it`s working even better than expected
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Hi,
first time post here Im thinking about getting Numerology and a Launchpad. Will the Launchpad work with Numerology, if its is setup as a rewire slave? I want to use it for MIDI sequencing and rewire it to cubase 5, when working in the studio.

And id like to build a live set around Ableton Live and Numerology. Would it be possible to have two Launchpads, one controling Live while the other one is controling the rewire slaved Numerology?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
Hi,
first time post here Im thinking about getting Numerology and a Launchpad. Will the Launchpad work with Numerology, if its is setup as a rewire slave? I want to use it for MIDI sequencing and rewire it to cubase 5, when working in the studio.
Yes, the Launchpad mapping works in ReWire mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
And id like to build a live set around Ableton Live and Numerology. Would it be possible to have two Launchpads, one controling Live while the other one is controling the rewire slaved Numerology?
I haven't had a chance to test this, so I can't say for sure, but it should work. Numerology can only use the first Launchpad attached, but you can set Live to work with any specific Launchpad directly (in prefs).

FYI: Keep in mind that if you have the Automap Server installed, you'll need to disable the Numerology-targeted Launchpad from Automap. Instructions here: http://www.five12.com/vbForum/showthread.php?t=811
Old 05-26-2010, 02:26 PM

hi, i am new here...
i have a mac, ableton max4live, an apc40, NI maschine and at least a launchpad...
today i have found this superb software numerology and i've bought it immediately..

i think that the combination with launchpad and numerology is the best ever!!

i will spend the night to check out the whole features of numerology...
Old 08-21-2010, 06:45 AM

Default Using launchpad in Mixer Mode

Hello Jim and Numerologists

I want to begin producing more structured output and believe one of the main hurdles in that process is lack of hands on control, so therefore I'm very close to making a decision to get a launchpad.

Before buying I have a few questions;

I presently have a problem with overuse of CPU heavy plugs, my work around has been to mix my arrangement with a set of say, 10 stacks where I at any one time am running four-six live. I mute, zero the faders and turn off the stacks/channels not in use then in the run of the session I turn stacks on and off as needed, this saves CPU cycles, and still gives me access to a lot of possibilties for creating long varieated arrangements without first having to upgrade my computer.

I've also acquired Logic Express and will use that to optimize and assemble audio tracks add live materiel sound effects and so on , but I want to keep as much of the control aspects; of effects and synthesizers, CV and midi within Numerology in stand alone mode.

1) I would like to know if its possible to turn off individual stacks with the launchpad, as that would be my most pressing need right now.

2) Will there be Launchpad implementaion for controlling the discreet CV sequencers. (I find these the most flexible to work with.) I know you mentioned this was on your list on another thread any ideas as to when it will happen?

3) How hard is it to implement control of aspects of Numerology with the launchpad for a user with minimal programming experience. Does midi learn get you very far in this process, or is it programming on a deeper level that is necessary?

Aside from Jim Coker I’d be very grateful if any users of the Launchpad with numerology could chime in.

Best Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 08-21-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
1) I would like to know if its possible to turn off individual stacks with the launchpad, as that would be my most pressing need right now.

Not yet, but that is a reasonable request.

Quote:
2) Will there be Launchpad implementaion for controlling the discreet CV sequencers. (I find these the most flexible to work with.) I know you mentioned this was on your list on another thread any ideas as to when it will happen?
That is the plan, to add control for the CV seqs and a few other modules (fader box, button box) to the pro version. I can't say exactly yet when it will happen, but requests like this definitely help bump it up.

Quote:
3) How hard is it to implement control of aspects of Numerology with the launchpad for a user with minimal programming experience. Does midi learn get you very far in this process, or is it programming on a deeper level that is necessary?
Integrating the launchpad with Numerology to the depth provided by the current mapping requires some very detailed programming. Theoretically it could be done with something like Max, but that if that idea give me a headache...

For me personally, the Launchpad integration feature was a big breakthrough -- both in terms of realizing what could be done with a grid controller with programmable colors, and in terms of how nice it is to use Numerology with a zero-configuration controller that has deep control options. So, yes, I'll definitely continue to add new options for it.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-21-2010, 11:49 AM

Default Thanks for the concise reply...

I'm thinking through the launchpad thing, and have been getting ideas as to how I can get to where I'm wanting to go with the present implimentation. For example turning off the CPU hungry plug-ins within a stack and saving that state as preset could get me access to achieving the CPU savings I'm looking for from the preset page of the launchpad.

Thanks again!

Wade
Old 08-21-2010, 02:00 PM

Yeah, I'd love to be able to switch off stacks (and, if possible, individual synth / fx plugins) programmatically and/or remotely too.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to also ask for the possibility to mute the MIDI (and audio) inputs of a stack, and the possibility to modulate it.

And if we could combine a few things in a smart way and maybe build those into Numerology as a default option / module / feature somehow, it could be even more useful for conserving CPU (as also discussed elsewhere on the forum with regard to Plogue Bidule).

What I typically would like to do:
1) first mute incoming MIDI for a stack / plugin, so it stops playing new notes, but synths continue to play through the release stages of their envelopes; effects such as reverb and delay are allowed to continue.
2) in the meantime, monitor the audio output, and only if the level falls below some user-definied minimum level threshold (for some period of time), it will continue to the final step:
3) switch off a stack / synth + effect plugins to conserve CPU.
(of course, switching it back on should happen immediately).

In order to inspire some more thoughts and discussion, I have attached a sample project that basically does a big part of this (1+2), however, in a way arguably too complex manner to comfortably manage for more complicated projects.

(In the "Mute" stack, press the button labelled "Mute" and wait until the release/reverb/delay tail 'ends', then watch the last button being switched on.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip TailMonitor.nmp.zip (30.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Sjoerd; 08-21-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm thinking through the launchpad thing, and have been getting ideas as to how I can get to where I'm wanting to go with the present implimentation. For example turning off the CPU hungry plug-ins within a stack and saving that state as preset could get me access to achieving the CPU savings I'm looking for from the preset page of the launchpad.
Funny, I was just about to post that tip -- that the on/off switches for individual modules are saved w/ the stack presets, so you can use that to setup a 'muted' or 'off' preset.

As Sjoerd's post brings up, that doesn't handle 'note tails', but you can at least do that manually: one preset to mute whatever is generating notes, then a 2nd that adds the 'off' switch on any AU modules.

Cheers,
Jim