Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 03-22-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
I'm not aware of any changes that affect delays or reverb tails from N3 to N4 -- they both fade out pretty quickly for me over here… but I may have missed something. Send me an example project or video that shows the issue -- all N3 projects should play w/o any changes in N4.
Sure, here you go: example project, video. The example project uses u-he's Tyrell N6 synth to play some notes, and ValhallaDSP's Vintage Verb adds a reverb/delay effect.

The only thing I changed (as you can see in the video) is the MIDI input, which for some reason switched to another input, but that isn't relevant to this issue, afaik.

Fwiw, I used N3.2b69 / NP4.1b153 (in 32-bit mode) on OS X 10.9.5.
Quote:
I did just turn off an 'Audio Unit Reset' call on transport stop, and that does allow reverb/delay tails to play out fully… I know there were a couple other folks requesting that as well...
Well, "[allowing] reverb/delay tails to play out fully" was exactly what I was already used to in N3.

And imho the transport should *never* reset AUs - the "Panic" button would be a better place to do that.

Btw, another thing that seems to differ between N3 vs N4 here, is the "Auto Reset" behaviour of the MonoNote module. It seems to be broken in *both* cases: in N3, stopping the transport does *not* reset it to the first step even when "Auto Reset" is on; in N4, stopping the transport *does* reset it to the first step even when "Auto Reset" is off.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 AM

Hi, I did a quick test (N4 -153) and if individual mono note sequencers are set to manual and stopped with the main transport running the FX AU's behave as expected reverbs etc tail off gracefully.

With the main transport stopped it's all very abrupt - audio cuts out imeadialtely.

bmg
Old 03-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Btw, another thing that seems to differ between N3 vs N4 here, is the "Auto Reset" behaviour of the MonoNote module. It seems to be broken in *both* cases: in N3, stopping the transport does *not* reset it to the first step even when "Auto Reset" is on; in N4, stopping the transport *does* reset it to the first step even when "Auto Reset" is off.
What run mode do you have the sequencer in? In either N3 or N4, that setting is only active if you are in one of the 'non-normal' run modes…

Jim
Old 03-25-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
What run mode do you have the sequencer in? In either N3 or N4, that setting is only active if you are in one of the 'non-normal' run modes…

Jim
In this simple example project, the MonoNote's run mode was set to to "normal".

The documentation does not seem to adequately explain that this setting would only be active when using a 'non-normal' mode, then (p. 96) :
Quote:
Auto Reset
This determines if a sequence resets (returns to its start step), when it is stopped. In most cases you will want to leave it on, but when turned off, can result in some interesting playback behavior.
Imho, if a setting can only have any effect depending on some other setting, the UI should clearly indicate as much, for example by making the former setting appear 'greyed out'.

Also, this does not explain why the exact same setting results in different behavior between N3 and N4.

(Btw, the phrase "leave it on" also seems to suggest that this setting is "on" by default, which it isn't. But, following the explanation in the manual, it arguably should default to "on".)
Old 03-26-2015, 02:50 PM

Quoting from build 148's release notes:
Quote:
- On opening a project, all stacks are now 'scrolled to top'."
- On opening a project, now the first non-clock stack is the first stack displayed.
I was quite glad to read this - but was disappointed to find out that it doesn't work at all. I have tested this both with old projects and a new project created in N4, it failed every single time. All my projects always open with focus on the bottom of the last stack.

Btw, I'd also like Numerology to maintain its vertical position when toggling between a Stack's Modules and Routing views. Currently, it always scrolls to the top, which can be quite frustrating when you're trying to edit something near the bottom of a large stack - you have to manually scroll back to the desired position every time you toggle the view.

Last edited by Sjoerd; 03-26-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Administrator

I had implemented a fix for both, and added to the release notes, then had to remove one of them but forgot to update the release notes. I'll be sure to look at them again before the next build goes up. And yes, once open, scrolling position should be maintained...

Jim
Old 04-06-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I'm not aware of any changes that affect delays or reverb tails from N3 to N4 -- they both fade out pretty quickly for me over here… but I may have missed something. Send me an example project or video that shows the issue -- all N3 projects should play w/o any changes in N4.

I did just turn off an 'Audio Unit Reset' call on transport stop, and that does allow reverb/delay tails to play out fully… I know there were a couple other folks requesting that as well...
Ah, I'm probably one of those 'other folks'. Though my report referred to softsynth release phases being cut off abruptly. I had assumed you were sending All Notes/Sound Off messages upon transport stop, but I guess Audio Unit Reset would have the same effect. Presumably this change will make Sjoerd and myself happy. (in anticipation)

I seem to recall N3 behaving the same as N4 in this regard. It's my only serious bugbear with Numerology, so really hoping to see the back of it.

BTW, the Elektron Analog Four has a nice feature that allows for both types of behaviour :
* A single press on the Stop button stops the sequencer but allows release phases and delay/reverb tails to play out.
* A double press on Stop stops the sequencer and performs a fast fade (guessing about 10-20ms -- long enough not to cause a click).

Maybe N4 could use the same scheme.