Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 11-15-2017, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Default Numerology 4.2 Build 177 (High Sierra AU Workaround)

This build includes a workaround for the N4 AU/AUMX conflict in LogicX and MainStage on OS X 10.13 High Sierra. The workaround is to not install the N4 AU -- but only on OS X 10.13. This may seem like a rather radical move, but keep in mind my general recommendations for plugin usage:

- For LogicX or MainStage, you should only use the N4 AUMX.
- For any other plugin host, use the VST.

There are only a few cases where it makes sense to use the N4 AU:

- You are still using an older version of Logic which doesn't support the AU MIDI Effect, or you are using an old copy of DP that doesn't support VST. In both those cases, you can still manually install the AU -- see the next post for instructions.

- You are using LogicX and need to route MIDI to an external instrument. AFAIK, this is not possible with the AUMX. It is relatively straightforward to do with the AU, but the MIDI timing in that case is not so hot (and there's no way to make it better). The best option is to use N4 standalone sync'd via MIDI clock with Logic, the next best option is to use N4 in ReWire mode.

- You have some existing projects that use the N4 AU. If they are mixed projects -- i.e. use the AU and the AUMX, *and* you've already upgrade to 10.13, you will have to transition your projects. If they only use the AU, then you can add/remove it as you need to when working with those projects. If you need to transition some projects, keep in mind that it is easy to export and import stacks with all the N4 plugins.

If you are using the N4 AU and your situation does not match any of the above cases, please let me know, either here on the forum or via email.

A long-term fix for this issue will likely require moving a significant amount of code into a separate library -- one of those 'easy in theory, rather tricky in practice' situations. -- So, for now, we have this workaround.

Links:

SE: http://files.five12.com/NumerologySE-4.2-Build177.dmg
PRO: http://files.five12.com/NumerologyPro-4.2-Build177.dmg

Numerology 4.2 Build 177

Numerology AU and OS X 10.13 a.k.a. High Sierra: This build does not install the
N4 AU on High Sierra, and will remove an installed N4 AU if one is found. This is to avoid an issue with the Objective-C runtime in 10.13. If you are using LogicX or MainState, stick to the N4 AUMX (Audio Unit MIDI Effect), if you are using any other hosts, use the N4 VST.

Other Fixes & Updates:

- Fixed an issue with the "Purchase" button on the Demo Dialog.
- MIDI Meter: Fixed a drawing issue on OS X 10.12
Old 11-15-2017, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Default How to manually install the N4 AU from any Numerology.app install

This should only be necessary in special cases, specifically: You are on OS X 10.13 High Sierra and you need to open a project that uses the N4 AU. See the above post for details.

- Look in /Applications for 'Numerology 4 Pro.app' or 'Numerology 4 SE.app'
- Control-click on the app and pick "Show Package Contents"
- In the window that comes up, navigate to Contents/Resources
- Search the Resources folder for "NumerologyAU.zip". The fastest way
to do that is to use List view and sort by Size, descending.
- Copy NumerologyAU.zip to
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
(you will need to enter an administrator password)
- Delete any existing NumerologyAU.component
- Double-click NumerologyAU.zip to un-compress it.
- Delete NumerologyAU.zip.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
This build includes a workaround for the N4 AU/AUMX conflict in LogicX and MainStage on OS X 10.13 High Sierra. The workaround is to not install the N4 AU -- but only on OS X 10.13. This may seem like a rather radical move, but keep in mind my general recommendations for plugin usage:

- For LogicX or MainStage, you should only use the N4 AUMX.
- For any other plugin host, use the VST.

There are only a few cases where it makes sense to use the N4 AU:

- You are still using an older version of Logic which doesn't support the AU MIDI Effect, or you are using an old copy of DP that doesn't support VST. In both those cases, you can still manually install the AU -- see the next post for instructions.

- You are using LogicX and need to route MIDI to an external instrument. AFAIK, this is not possible with the AUMX. It is relatively straightforward to do with the AU, but the MIDI timing in that case is not so hot (and there's no way to make it better). The best option is to use N4 standalone sync'd via MIDI clock with Logic, the next best option is to use N4 in ReWire mode.

- You have some existing projects that use the N4 AU. If they are mixed projects -- i.e. use the AU and the AUMX, *and* you've already upgrade to 10.13, you will have to transition your projects. If they only use the AU, then you can add/remove it as you need to when working with those projects. If you need to transition some projects, keep in mind that it is easy to export and import stacks with all the N4 plugins.

If you are using the N4 AU and your situation does not match any of the above cases, please let me know, either here on the forum or via email.

A long-term fix for this issue will likely require moving a significant amount of code into a separate library -- one of those 'easy in theory, rather tricky in practice' situations. -- So, for now, we have this workaround.

Links:

SE: http://files.five12.com/NumerologySE-4.2-Build177.dmg
PRO: http://files.five12.com/NumerologyPro-4.2-Build177.dmg

Numerology 4.2 Build 177

Numerology AU and OS X 10.13 a.k.a. High Sierra: This build does not install the
N4 AU on High Sierra, and will remove an installed N4 AU if one is found. This is to avoid an issue with the Objective-C runtime in 10.13. If you are using LogicX or MainState, stick to the N4 AUMX (Audio Unit MIDI Effect), if you are using any other hosts, use the N4 VST.

Other Fixes & Updates:

- Fixed an issue with the "Purchase" button on the Demo Dialog.
- MIDI Meter: Fixed a drawing issue on OS X 10.12
Jim, In the case of Digital Performer using VST for midi usage, does 177 version bring something more to me , I am still on Sierra ?
Thank you
Old 11-25-2017, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
Jim, In the case of Digital Performer using VST for midi usage, does 177 version bring something more to me , I am still on Sierra ?
Thank you
I don't think so.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-06-2017, 02:24 PM

Default 177 killed all my plugins

Dear Jim, et al.
I updated to 177, I'm in OS 10.13.1

I read your note from 11.15
But still, I don't know how to proceed, since all my AU plugins show "plugin not found" on the stack. AU is pretty much ALL I use.

Is this the fix?

"This should only be necessary in special cases, specifically: You are on OS X 10.13 High Sierra and you need to open a project that uses the N4 AU. See the above post for details.

- Look in /Applications for 'Numerology 4 Pro.app' or 'Numerology 4 SE.app'
- Control-click on the app and pick "Show Package Contents"
- In the window that comes up, navigate to Contents/Resources
- Search the Resources folder for "NumerologyAU.zip". The fastest way
to do that is to use List view and sort by Size, descending.
- Copy NumerologyAU.zip to
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
(you will need to enter an administrator password)
- Delete any existing NumerologyAU.component
- Double-click NumerologyAU.zip to un-compress it.
- Delete NumerologyAU.zip."

Plase assist.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant View Post
Dear Jim, et al.
I updated to 177, I'm in OS 10.13.1

I read your note from 11.15
But still, I don't know how to proceed, since all my AU plugins show "plugin not found" on the stack. AU is pretty much ALL I use.

Is this the fix?
The fix is just to un-install the N4 AU.

A couple questions:
- Is that when running N4 standalone or rewire?
- Do you remember which version you had installed before?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 PM

I have kept up with the upgrades, so before the current one was 176.
I only use N4 it stand alone, as my central tool.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant View Post
I have kept up with the upgrades, so before the current one was 176.
I only use N4 it stand alone, as my central tool.
In that case, start N4 standalone with the shift key down. Confirm you want to start in debug mode. When startup is done, use "Contact Five12" to report a bug -- mention the AU thing in the comment section. That will upload a detailed log showing which plugins N4 found when starting up.

Jim
Old 12-13-2017, 07:06 PM

Default N4 standalone

i've dowloaded and installed 177. opening the standalone version has become rather iffy. most of the time i can't open a session. i click on the N4 icon on the dock or the applications folder and it opens the toolbar. open recent shows the stuff i want to open but i can't access them. ends up hanging.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfront View Post
i've dowloaded and installed 177. opening the standalone version has become rather iffy. most of the time i can't open a session. i click on the N4 icon on the dock or the applications folder and it opens the toolbar. open recent shows the stuff i want to open but i can't access them. ends up hanging.
Let me know what OS version you're on, which hardware and what audio interface.

Thanks,
Jim