Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 09-28-2016, 04:27 AM

Default Questions about Paramod And RTA recording

Hi,

after not having access to numerology because i went over to windows years ago i still miss it and currently think about going back to mac (pretty much only for NM) its a hard decision as i than have to quit using sonicores dsp enviroment wich is windows only.. when i used Numerology in the past i missed some possebillities that i now see are added features :-)- so it might be worth to make the system switch again- as this means a lot of hassle i realy want to be shure that it will work for me. As i currently dont have a mac at hand i cannot just run NM to try some things i dont get clear from the manual, so i have some Questions:

regarding RTA Automation:

what does happen when the automation recording is triggerd another (or serveral) time(s)? is it kind of overdub just adding the newly recorded parameters or is it deleting everything from a previous take? what is happening when tweaking a parameter that allready has been recorded in a previous take?

is it possible to store the preferencies (recording lengh, quantisation) with a stack preset? as i expect not - it it possible to midi remote the lengh or set its value as a destinaton for paramod? the RTA feature seems to be great for live performance but it seems a bit unhandy to use the RTA dialog and mouse inputs during a live performance. depending on the groove it would be good to change the recordingtime/looplengh of the RTA accordingly.

question regarding paramod:

the manual says:" Add a ParamMod module to a stack, typically the same stack as the module whose parameter you wish to modulate"

i understand that a paramods destination modul can also sit in another stack?

finaly and very importand: are the destination parameters choosed in a paramod modul saved with a stack preset? so it would be possible to have different destinations over all stacks from one cv source via paramod(s), stored with presets ? kind of doubled the question but want to make shure its clear what i mean...

thanks a lot..
Old 09-29-2016, 01:40 AM

I won't reply to the RTA recording part as I'm absolutely not using this part of N.

Regarding paramod, it can be in any stack. When you open the connection menu it will propose you with a list of module present in its actual stack for convenience but the last entry will let you choose any module in any stack.

To route CV through different stack, u can use the CV buses.

For exemple, I have a live project consisting of one clock stack and 5 synth/sounds stack. All the paramods are kept close to the module they affect ( personnal convenience ) and I have a 7th stack which control every others with switches, faders, lfo and XY's through cv buses.I mapped all the parameters to a controller and when jamming, that is the only stack I use to control all my voices.

Paramods presets are saved with presets like every other module. Where do they get their CV from is from the routing menu which is fixed but which module and which function of the modul it targets are stored in stack presets, so to be clear they can be changed in realtime with the preset menu.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by KaOsphere; 09-29-2016 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbo View Post
Hi,

after not having access to numerology because i went over to windows years ago i still miss it and currently think about going back to mac (pretty much only for NM) its a hard decision as i than have to quit using sonicores dsp enviroment wich is windows only.. when i used Numerology in the past i missed some possebillities that i now see are added features :-)- so it might be worth to make the system switch again- as this means a lot of hassle i realy want to be shure that it will work for me. As i currently dont have a mac at hand i cannot just run NM to try some things i dont get clear from the manual, so i have some Questions:
I'll answer as best I can!

Quote:
regarding RTA Automation:
what does happen when the automation recording is triggerd another (or serveral) time(s)? is it kind of overdub just adding the newly recorded parameters or is it deleting everything from a previous take? what is happening when tweaking a parameter that allready has been recorded in a previous take?
If you re-record a parameter, the previous take is deleted -- so RTA recording is always in 'replace' mode.

Quote:
is it possible to store the preferencies (recording lengh, quantisation) with a stack preset? as i expect not - it it possible to midi remote the lengh or set its value as a destinaton for paramod? the RTA feature seems to be great for live performance but it seems a bit unhandy to use the RTA dialog and mouse inputs during a live performance. depending on the groove it would be good to change the recordingtime/looplengh of the RTA accordingly.
RTA settings are not stored w/ stack presets, but if you saved a project and re-loaded it as a 'template', then they would be there. No MIDI remote on those settings either. You are correct that using the RTA dialog is not great for live use. I am working on a re-design where you would get a fixed number of RTA tracks (say 4), and then could dedicate a button to each track, with behavior something like this:

- Press to Record, press again to stop recording and loop
- Press briefly to play/pause the recorded automation
- Press and hold to clear and re-arm for a new recording.

That, with some LED feedback for controllers that have LEDs on their buttons
should make RTA much more useful.

Quote:
question regarding paramod:

the manual says:" Add a ParamMod module to a stack, typically the same stack as the module whose parameter you wish to modulate"

i understand that a paramods destination modul can also sit in another stack?
Yes, but when multi-threading finally happens, you'll get some latency (a couple audio buffers worth) between stacks for ParamMod -- and CV and MIDI busses. For many kinds of modulation (filter cutoff, LFO rates, etc) it will not matter. For anything where timing is important (Pitch Offset), it will matter.

Quote:
finaly and very importand: are the destination parameters choosed in a paramod modul saved with a stack preset? so it would be possible to have different destinations over all stacks from one cv source via paramod(s), stored with presets ? kind of doubled the question but want to make shure its clear what i mean...
Stack presets will not preserve 'inter-stack' connections, but as KaOsphere mentions, that is where the CV and MIDI busses become very useful.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-30-2016, 11:39 AM

hi,

thank you both for the answers!

Jim- i realy appreciate your ideas for a remake of the rta- i once made a experimental syth prototyp with parameter recording for every knob just like that- the was a 3 color led next to every potentiometer and a dedicated button toggeling record, play, overdub(!)and stop/clear (on hold). overdub was possible as it was realized by just recording increments and decrements relativ to current value instead of absolute values. this also makes it possible to still chance the automated parameter while automation is playing (dont know how the current RTA handles it but that way its realy great) this was also a permanent overdubbing loop with a adjustable feedback parameter made sense- this way you can do things like geasture- delays etc.. also layering different knobbing actions on the same parameter is great... think about that. might be also be an idea for a modul- just record hands on modulations and than tweak it like other sequencers , changing direction, speed etc....

for the paramod thing i will have to try if it works with the latency... my goal is to have a set of hardware controllers (not much but very playable like long ribbon controller, joystick and stuff) that are routet to different destinations trough the stacks depending in wich "sceen" (set of accociated presets on different stacks) i am. its mainly a live thing... so i have an idea how to realize that with lots of paramods AND cv busses... will have to see how this works latencywhise.. will have to work with a realy low buffer. "Probieren geht über Studieren" (german spell)

so i have to get a mac.

i tried to find any mails or anything about my old licence.. didt find anything- jim can you tell me what you need from me to see what licence i have? i gues i was just upgrading to nm3pro but dont know exactly..

best

zimbo
Old 09-30-2016, 11:40 AM

by the way, sorry for my bad english..
Old 10-01-2016, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
hi,

thank you both for the answers!

Jim- i realy appreciate your ideas for a remake of the rta- i once made a experimental syth prototyp with parameter recording for every knob just like that- the was a 3 color led next to every potentiometer and a dedicated button toggeling record, play, overdub(!)and stop/clear (on hold). overdub was possible as it was realized by just recording increments and decrements relativ to current value instead of absolute values. this also makes it possible to still chance the automated parameter while automation is playing (dont know how the current RTA handles it but that way its realy great) this was also a permanent overdubbing loop with a adjustable feedback parameter made sense- this way you can do things like geasture- delays etc.. also layering different knobbing actions on the same parameter is great... think about that. might be also be an idea for a modul- just record hands on modulations and than tweak it like other sequencers , changing direction, speed etc....
I'll keep it in mind!

Quote:
for the paramod thing i will have to try if it works with the latency... my goal is to have a set of hardware controllers (not much but very playable like long ribbon controller, joystick and stuff) that are routet to different destinations trough the stacks depending in wich "sceen" (set of accociated presets on different stacks) i am. its mainly a live thing... so i have an idea how to realize that with lots of paramods AND cv busses... will have to see how this works latencywhise.. will have to work with a realy low buffer. "Probieren geht über Studieren" (german spell)
Theres a new controller type I've been working on -- I'm calling it the "performance controller" that might solve those issues for you. It is based around two things: Using a MIDI keyboard (well, anything that generates MIDI notes) to program sequencers (RT & Step), and an associated set of knobs & buttons that can be mapped to params in a stack. There's a good chance that the setup you describe could be implemented with this new controller type.

Quote:
so i have to get a mac.

i tried to find any mails or anything about my old licence.. didt find anything- jim can you tell me what you need from me to see what licence i have? i gues i was just upgrading to nm3pro but dont know exactly..
No worries -- just email me your full name and any emails you think you may have registered it under. I looked and found some receipts that I'm pretty sure are yours, just need the confirmation.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
by the way, sorry for my bad english..
kein Problem!

Jim