Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 03-10-2016, 04:27 AM

You're probably aware but ... http://www.magneticmag.com/2016/03/a...-specs-push-2/
Old 03-27-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechnobear View Post
I tested PushQML last night with N4, it emulates a Push 1 on a Push 2,
and seemed to work fine with N4
So it sounds like we're at the point where Push 2 works with the buttons but not the screen, unless you install a Push 1 emulation. Correct? This might be enough for me to upgrade.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
So it sounds like we're at the point where Push 2 works with the buttons but not the screen, unless you install a Push 1 emulation. Correct? This might be enough for me to upgrade.

Thanks.
Yes.. thats about it

Im kind of waiting for someone to put out a better Push 1 emulator., which would be good for the display.

the only 'nut yet to crack' is the display cannot be accessed if Live is running, so that means only really useful in standalone mode, not as plugin.

its a shame Jim hasn't picked one up, N4 with a proper graphic display of the sequencers would be fantastic. similar if we look at Live and see the metering, its really useful, this could also translate to N4 well..
but of course, only useful for Push2 users, so can see its unlikely.

pity there is no controller api in N4 , like Live/Bitwig ... then I could have written it myself
Old 03-30-2016, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
the only 'nut yet to crack' is the display cannot be accessed if Live is running, so that means only really useful in standalone mode, not as plugin.
That greatly reduces any interest I have in supporting it -- since pretty much anyone with that controller is almost always going to want to be running Live.

Quote:
pity there is no controller api in N4 , like Live/Bitwig ... then I could have written it myself
Well, there's always the existing MIDI API for the Push 1. You could always point Numerology at an IAC buss and build a M4L patch to tweak the comm -- that would be much, much easier than writing a proper grid mapping, regardless of the API.

Jim
Old 03-31-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
That greatly reduces any interest I have in supporting it -- since pretty much anyone with that controller is almost always going to want to be running Live.
yeah, thats likely true for many, though in fairness, I found the N4 VST with Push 1 not perfect, since it had a nasty habit of not updating correctly, and leaving the display/pads in an incorrect state - I think due to not handling the going in/out of user mode correctly (as far as I remember)

so I tended to use N4 standalone.... I very nearly kept the Push 1, just for this, but couldn't really justify it... that and I didnt like the pads much

anyway, given Ableton, have been a bit more open so far, perhaps they will open a 'gateway' to the display for user mode in Live. or perhaps one of the 'hackers' will successfully adapt the Push2 control scripts to do something similar.

I still think its 'early days' for Push 2, and it being supported beyond Live.

Quote:
Well, there's always the existing MIDI API for the Push 1. You could always point Numerology at an IAC buss and build a M4L patch to tweak the comm -- that would be much, much easier than writing a proper grid mapping, regardless of the API.
sure that emulates a push 1, and there are a few things that do that.
but that doesn't allow you to make better use of the Push 2 display (particular its increased size, possibly graphics (e.g. mixing/pan) )

now if the data (and meta data) had been pushed out over OSC, then we could 'easily' write a controller app for push 2... (or lemur, or monome, or linnstrument, or ....)
as Ive previously stated (a few times) , there are a huge number of controllers out there - I think its an unrealistic expectation that N4 can support them all 'out of the box', or you would own (or even want to) a fraction of them, let alone test them for every release. Even bigger companies like Ableton/Bitwig recognise they can't do that... hence they open the 'box' so their users or 3rd parties can do it. win/win.... they don't have the development effort (over creating the api) , and users get wider controller support, which in turn tempts a wider user base to buy their product. of course, its there is the dev effort required to create the API/OSC layer, but is that much more than adding 'one more controller'

I know OSC is not perfect, but probably easier for many users to dig into than an API.
the advantage of the API, is of course, its more integrated etc, and usually the 'out of the box controllers' are built on it, thus easing their development, and also testing the api at the same time.

anyway, nothing new here... just the hope, one day....

Last edited by TheTechnobear; 03-31-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:22 PM

Default Push 2 details

Ableton have released details on how push 2 works

https://github.com/Ableton/push-inte...yInterface.asc