Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 05-15-2015, 07:04 AM

Default Linnstrument Support

Dear Jim,
i bought an Linnstrument from Roger Linn. It seams to be a perfect match with Numerlogy and i would love to see a "native support" like for the Launchpad.
It has a similar interface but much more possibilities.
Check:
http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/linnstrument.html

All the best!
Anscorm
Old 05-15-2015, 09:01 AM

Id like to MPE support http://bit.ly/mpe-spec , (and Linnstrument 1.2 supports)
and know Jim has a Soundplane, which Ive added MPE support for

but not sure, what role expressive devices have in N4?

But I guess you want integration with LEDs/sequencers....(that could use the Linnstrument user firmware mode)

But Id urge (again) Jim to make the controller 'api' open, so we (users) can write our own controller scripts (Id like one for my Eigenharp!), so that Jim doesnt have to ownn and code every controller... which given the number of controllers these days would be a full-time job....
(bitwig and ableton have taken this approach and both have really good support for lots of controllers)

one of those things, probably alot of work up-front (to produce api), but then reduces the ongoing dev... e.g. Id be prepared to help improve the Push support if the API was open.

Last edited by TheTechnobear; 05-15-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:16 AM

MPE support is nice i agree that is does not make sense in numerlogy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechnobear View Post
I
But I guess you want integration with LEDs/sequencers....(that could use the Linnstrument user firmware mode)
Yes.Despite being a cool expressive device the Linnstrument has 200 Multi color touch sensitive "key cells with visual feedback".
This makes it an excellent device for step-sequencing and for numerology! That is the main reason why i think it is worth being adapted in a similar but expanded automatic mode like the Launchpad.

best
A.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:18 PM
Administrator

The MPE stuff is interesting, as I have a soundplane to use it with, I'll give it a peek. Regarding controller API's, you actually already have at least 2 to work with:

- Since Numerology supports the Push, and the Push MIDI API is very simple (one command per button + sysex for the display), if you can get something to emulate the Push, you'll have a grid controller without the (rather significant) amount of work to do it at the lower level (e.g. param by param).

Of course, there's also the Launchpad MIDI API, but they use a semi-compressed format for 'whole grid' updates that would make it a bit harder to emulate, so I recommend going w/ the Push API.

- There's also the expanded OSC message API in N4 to work with. Those are param-by-param (see the doc), and the MIDI/OSC dialogs for each module give you the needed param IDs. It could probably use a few more commands, but those are things I can easily add. I don't see adding a separate scripting API, but you could certainly use standalone Python code (or any other number of languages -- Lua, Javascript, Java, etc...) to collect, process and re-send OSC messages -- and Python is what Ableton uses anyway.

For the Linnstrument, there's very little chance I'd do anything special for it, since the sales volume is so low and I'm unlikely to acquire one for myself, but if you can find a way to get it to emulate a Push (or possibly a Launchpad), then you'd be good-to-go.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-17-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
The MPE stuff is interesting, as I have a soundplane to use it with, I'll give it a peek.
my MPE code is waiting to be merged into randys repo, but if you want a binary, or access to my repo, pop me an email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim
There's also the expanded OSC message API in N4 to work with. Those are param-by-param (see the doc), and the MIDI/OSC dialogs for each module give you the needed param IDs. It could probably use a few more commands, but those are things I can easily add. I don't see adding a separate scripting API, but you could certainly use standalone Python code (or any other number of languages -- Lua, Javascript, Java, etc...) to collect, process and re-send OSC messages -- and Python is what Ableton uses anyway.
Emulating a Push is cool, but will fix you to an 8x8 grid for the sequencers - no?
apart from that it would work quite well...

The OSC api is cool, but I think it lacks two things:

Introspection/Meta info - you could build a controller setup for one N4 setup (eg. stacks/sequencers) but it would not be valid if you change the N4 setup e.g. added new stacks/sequencers. really, you want to be able to determine how many stacks, how many sequencers (and types etc) at runtime.

Feedback - there is no feedback if you change the sequencers, or for knowing current positions etc...
yes, you could theoretically add these (by sending osc messages?) into a 'template' setup, but it would be quite an overhead (and clutter) in your stacks.

so I came to the conclusion, Id end up putting a lot of work into something that would be quite rigid, that if I changed stacks/sequencers would require constant tweaking... so I bought a Push

of course, I totally respect though, its probably quite a lot of work, and you already have the main controllers covered, so perhaps not a good ROI.
(though Id say, Id love to be able to customise the push implementation too)
Old 05-17-2015, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
my MPE code is waiting to be merged into randys repo, but if you want a binary, or access to my repo, pop me an email.
Not yet -- I'm up to my ears in various things...

Quote:
Emulating a Push is cool, but will fix you to an 8x8 grid for the sequencers - no?
apart from that it would work quite well...
Yes, you'd still be at 8x8, but having a pair of 8x8 grids is pretty nice.

Quote:
The OSC api is cool, but I think it lacks two things:

Introspection/Meta info - you could build a controller setup for one N4 setup (eg. stacks/sequencers) but it would not be valid if you change the N4 setup e.g. added new stacks/sequencers. really, you want to be able to determine how many stacks, how many sequencers (and types etc) at runtime.

Feedback - there is no feedback if you change the sequencers, or for knowing current positions etc...
yes, you could theoretically add these (by sending osc messages?) into a 'template' setup, but it would be quite an overhead (and clutter) in your stacks.
Both useful items, will make sure they're on the list. Sending 'current state' info will be tricky, but I do the same thing for the UI -- a big list of paramId/value pairs...

Quote:
so I came to the conclusion, Id end up putting a lot of work into something that would be quite rigid, that if I changed stacks/sequencers would require constant tweaking... so I bought a Push

of course, I totally respect though, its probably quite a lot of work, and you already have the main controllers covered, so perhaps not a good ROI.
(though Id say, Id love to be able to customise the push implementation too)
FYI: I'll be adding FaderBox support for the Push soon….

Cheers,
Jim