Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 09-21-2017, 01:29 AM

Default N5 - Push 2 support?

Hi Jim

My Launchpad Mini has crapped out (USB jack broke off).

Before I buy a new one, will N5 support Push 2?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Administrator

No -- The screen API for the Push 2 is very low level, which means a ridiculous amount of work to support it. It makes much more sense for me to support a controller that I actually, umm, have some control over...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-23-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
No -- The screen API for the Push 2 is very low level, which means a ridiculous amount of work to support it. It makes much more sense for me to support a controller that I actually, umm, have some control over...

Cheers,
Jim
Thanks for the clear answer Jim. Will buy another Launchpad.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post

Cheers,
Jim
perhaps, I can repeat my request for a controller api...

this would allow open source development for specific controllers, and also perhaps provide some other interesting integration options.

this is the route most daws, Live, Bitwig, Reaper etc.. have gone, due to the huge number of controllers being released and their very different interfaces.

theres quite a number of open source scripting languages available you could integrate, so that the development effort (for you) is interfacing this to your object model. (javascript for some reason seems to be the popular one)
Old 12-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Administrator

I went through that thought process a while back, while may make sense for some other companies, it is not a path I am interested in.

The work of designing the API, building, testing, maintaining and supporting it is pretty extensive, and gets significantly more complicated when I need to re-factor things internally. So there’s a very big cost there in terms of having it at all -- and a very high risk, if I publish an API and then have to change it later.

But there's also a more subtle reason: I take great effort when creating support for a new controller to make sure that it fits with the Numerology workflow in a natural manner. And the process of making those design decisions -- of finding a way to get maxium use out of a grid or a keyboard with a few knobs -- has a huge beneficial impact on the design of the Numerology UI -- It makes me constantly re-evaluate: "Is this simple enough? Could this be better?". If I stopped doing all that and just said: "Here's the Object API, go for it", then I've lost that opportunity.

Jim