Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 03-30-2013, 03:46 PM

Default N+daw

Are there any advantages or disadvantages of using a particular DAW with NUMEROLOGY?

Ableton Live
Adobe Audition
Apple GarageBand
Apple Logic
Ardour
AudioMulch
Avid Pro Tools
Cockos Reaper
Harrison Mixbus
Motu Digital Performer
MuTools MuLab
Plogue Bidule
PreSonus Studio One
Propellerhead Record/Reason
Pyramix Studios
Steinberg Cubase
Steinberg Nuendo
Sound Forge
Tracktion
_______ (other)

Last edited by Tommy Zai; 03-30-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:40 AM

I unfortunately had severe bugs when rewiring N to Reaper 4.
It works quite well rewired to Live, but Live (at least v8) has so many quirks... MIDI sync'ing it without rewire can be a pain though.
I remember some insane CPU usage rewired to Logic, because of Logic's weird way to deal with CPU resources.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 AM

Default N+daw

Maybe one way to cut this problem down to size would be to categorize the usage scenarios. For example:

* ReWire (Master / Slave)
* VST only DAWs
* AU only DAWs
* VST or AU (and each of their relative features)

Under these categories you can decide what Numerology usage or modelling scenarios are feasible. For example, multi-stack versus single-stack. Or where any third party plug-ins should or need to be resident, how much of Numerologies capabilities you want or need to use; similarly how much of the DAW's capabilities.

In other words, it all depends. Doesn't it? ...edN
Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM

Default Daw+n

Is there a particular DAW that seems to work beautifully with N?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Administrator

I think using the N3 VST within any host that supports VSTs w/ MIDI output (all that I know of so far, but I haven't tried DP8 yet) should work equally well. I do happen to test frequently with Live as it loads quickly and has very easy to use routing. Other than that, I think ultimately the issue is which DAW do you like editing with the best...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
I think using the N3 VST within any host that supports VSTs w/ MIDI output (all that I know of so far, but I haven't tried DP8 yet) should work equally well. I do happen to test frequently with Live as it loads quickly and has very easy to use routing. Other than that, I think ultimately the issue is which DAW do you like editing with the best...

Cheers,
Jim
Jim, would that mean a DAW like Logic would be at a disadvantage due to AU exclusiveness and the lack of VST support?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil View Post
I unfortunately had severe bugs when rewiring N to Reaper 4.
It works quite well rewired to Live, but Live (at least v8) has so many quirks... MIDI sync'ing it without rewire can be a pain though.
I remember some insane CPU usage rewired to Logic, because of Logic's weird way to deal with CPU resources.
Good points . . .
I guess it's important to identify one's preferred method of integration, i.e., stand alone, using rewire, or running as a VST. With that in mind, which was of using N is the most efficient? Maybe I can reason this out backwards. I have Studio One, and I'm happy, but always have an eye out for something else. MuLab, Bidule, and others look promising.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
Jim, would that mean a DAW like Logic would be at a disadvantage due to AU exclusiveness and the lack of VST support?
Logic does not support MIDI output from AUs, so routing is a bit harder, and it is much harder to get accurate timing: You have to set (and maintain) some obscure preferences to get rid of jitter, but there is always some latency.

Jim
Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Logic does not support MIDI output from AUs, so routing is a bit harder, and it is much harder to get accurate timing: You have to set (and maintain) some obscure preferences to get rid of jitter, but there is always some latency.
Jim
Midi drag and drop in and out of N would fix this problem. hehehe