Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Default N4 : Push, Timeline, Track Delays, Installer, ToolTips, et. al...

Getting closer....

Das Push: Pretty much most of the 'Launchpad Mapping' is now working on the Ableton Push. That includes all grid-based operations, and most 'functions' like start/stop -- which, thanks to all the dedicated buttons on the Push, are mapped to, well, dedicated buttons. It just needs some testing and I have to sort out what to do with the display and the knobs. Kudos to Ableton for making it easy to program, even the LCD, though I haven't sorted out how to request specific colors based on RBG values... The Push supports 127 colors, but the current N4 mapping only uses 7.

Basic Push support will be there for both SE and Pro builds, but I suspect that whatever I do with the knobs will be Pro-only.

That now makes 3 grid options (so far) for N4: The Launchpad, Ohm RBG, and Ableton Push. And, don't forget, you can run them all at once, and multiples of each -- though I've only tested that last bit w/ the Launchpad. I think it would be worth going to NAMM just to see if I can get 2 (or 3 or 4) Push's working at once...

Oh, BTW: There's a new "Controller Setup" dialog. More on that next time...

Presets:
- There's now a "Preset Auto MIDI Assign" property for stacks. When it is on, it will auto-assign MIDI messages to change presets based on the mapping set for the very first preset.

- All presets now have a 'length' property. More on it below.

Transport: There's now a 'master rec' button -- i.e. a big record button next to the play/stop buttons. If off, no recording happens. Very handy for turning record on and off globally.

Timeline: I've been very productive here. Still a few tweaks to do, not to mention undo actions, but still plenty o new stuff to mention:

- Better zooming, with a more 'naturalistic' zoom behavior, proper 'zoom in' / 'zoom out' buttons, and more zoom levels.

- A Draggable Wiper. There's now a 'head' to the wiper that you can drag around to re-locate the transport. As Numerology does not offer scrubbing (rather hard to do with recursive/feedback-based sequencing algorithms), the locate doesn't happen until you release the mouse on the drag. Once I get the locate call to be beat-synchronized, you'll be able to reliably re-locate w/o any transport glitches.

- Control-click in a track to add a preset 'block' -- with the default stack length as mentioned above. I also plan to add an option to 'insert all presets' as a quick way to get an arrangement going.

- Arrangement Recording : A much-requested item. If a track is set to the new 'REC' arrange mode, and the master rec button is on, all preset changes will be recorded into the timeline. It's pretty cool. It auto-inserts new blocks with their default length, then extends (or truncates) them as needed. It deletes old blocks that get in the way, and respects the mute value for the stack. All preset changes are recorded beat-quantized for now...

Track Delays & Plugin Latency Compensation: Are now active, but I still have some testing to do, and I haven't quite finalized the UI.

Installer. There is a new installer -- it is actually a 'non-installer'. Instead of a disk image with a 'double-click to install' option, you'll get a disk image with Numerology4 & Application Folder icons and a message to 'drag Numerology4 to your Applications Folder'. Numerology4 will check and auto-install on startup. This setup is much easier for me to create and maintain than the scary-old PackageMaker tool that N3 uses. However, there was a nasty surprise: I now have to jump through some security hoops to write any thing to the /Application Support directory -- which is necessary for installing the ReWire driver.

ToolTips : These are the little help boxes that appear when you hover the mouse over a control. I haven't covered all modules, but have started adding them here and there.

Doc : I haven't updated any of it yet, but the old doc is at least included with the new installer, and there is a dedicated menu in the app to open it up.

That's all for now -- I'm sure I missed a few things. I'm still working on the timeline tweaks, a few bugs in the N4 ReWire driver, the usual N3 support stuff, and so on.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 PM

I don't know about everyone else, but my heart just skipped a beat.

In all seriousness, thanks for the update Jim. Highly anticipating this release. It's easily at the top of my list for most wanted software of the year!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
-S1gns
Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
I don't know about everyone else, but my heart just skipped a beat.

In all seriousness, thanks for the update Jim. Highly anticipating this release. It's easily at the top of my list for most wanted software of the year!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
-S1gns
+1 00 000 000 !

Can not wait Jim !

One question though, as I want to upgrade from the Launchpad to certainly Ohm RGB (not reluctant to Push at all though) : are all the functions mapped to it, or will we need an additional MIDI controller ?

Given that you own both and well, obviously have used both with N4, which one would YOU pick : Ohm RGB or Push ?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 AM

Good news i'm curios about the controller setup
congrats another time Jim
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 AM

arrangement recording!!! awesome. can't wait for this. thanks Jim
Old 07-25-2013, 11:02 AM

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to try it out!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 PM

Default n4

Give me midi drag n' drop in and out of N4 or give me death! :-)
Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 PM

Talking Dooood!

+1 on the Arrange recording! N3 is already my favorite piece of audio software. N4 is going to send me into orbit!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
Give me midi drag n' drop in and out of N4 or give me death! :-)
Ha! ... So there are only 3 really big things left: MIDI Drag In, MIDI Drag Out, and Multi-threaded Rendering (well, at least that I'm going to mention at this time). But there is a 'whole bunch' of medium and little things -- like finishing an OSC rewrite, finishing Undo, etc. (and other stuff I haven't mentioned) Still a lot o work, but the focus now is on solidifying it enough to get a beta out, which also means those 3 big things are going to have to wait a bit longer.

Jim
Old 07-26-2013, 01:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil View Post
One question though, as I want to upgrade from the Launchpad to certainly Ohm RGB (not reluctant to Push at all though) : are all the functions mapped to it, or will we need an additional MIDI controller ?

Given that you own both and well, obviously have used both with N4, which one would YOU pick : Ohm RGB or Push ?
Controllers are a very personal thing... If you use Live, then the Push has obvious advantages in that it has a very deep mapping. OTOH, I like the size and feel of the grid on the OHM, and it has faders, which I think would make for a more sane mixing setup in a live situation. And the crossfader could be very handy. The Numerology mapping for the OHM has one downside: As there are no 'scene' buttons (i.e. the column of buttons to the right of the grid), you have to do an extra step to navigate from page to page when editing a module.

Multiple Launchpads can be pretty fun too:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-5.jpg (437.3 KB, 190 views)