Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-31-2010, 06:09 AM

Default (Touch) OSC school

Hi All,

First, congrats to Jim on the official release of Numerology 3. So far, I'm very impressed with it.

I'd like to start building templates for TouchOSC on my iPad. I've got OSC Learn working for most things (though I can't seem to get an OSC learn menu for things like "play" and "stop").

The thing is, there are so many different controls, it's a little daunting, as I'm not an experienced UI designer. So I wonder if anyone has had any success so far and is already ahead of me. The rest of this post is just me thinking out loud, so feel free to ignore it.

----

For starters, I'd like to set up templates for the drumseq. Some controls I know I want:

--separate 16 and 32 step templates
--articulation for each step for, say, 8 drum pads
--groove and step length
--an editor for the master clock (for playing with swing on the fly)
--various evolve parameters
--preset selection
--saving of presets
Old 12-31-2010, 07:04 AM

Update: I just spent some time with the mononote sequencer and TouchOSC. I've found two issues, so far:

--If I switch pages in TouchOSC and make changes with my mouse to something on a page not displayed on my iPad, when I return to the page the changes don't appear on the TouchOSC version, but if I move the fader on TouchOSC it snaps to wherever I have the fader. Is there a fix?

--Is there a way to get TouchOSC to actually display values (like numbers or note names) that the program displays? I'm thinking of functionality like LiveControl where the actual clip names and parameter names appear on my iPad screen.

--related to that, is there a way to get numerology to "light up" the step it's on in my TouchOSC screen?

Last edited by JES; 12-31-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
First, congrats to Jim on the official release of Numerology 3. So far, I'm very impressed with it.
Thanks!

Quote:
I'd like to start building templates for TouchOSC on my iPad. I've got OSC Learn working for most things (though I can't seem to get an OSC learn menu for things like "play" and "stop").
Assign a toggle button to the play/stop button on the master groove clock.

Quote:
The thing is, there are so many different controls, it's a little daunting, as I'm not an experienced UI designer. So I wonder if anyone has had any success so far and is already ahead of me. The rest of this post is just me thinking out loud, so feel free to ignore it.
It is a daunting task. I recommend starting with the basics, the params you want the absolute most, then slowly adding things as you need them.

Quote:
For starters, I'd like to set up templates for the drumseq. Some controls I know I want:
--separate 16 and 32 step templates
--articulation for each step for, say, 8 drum pads
--groove and step length
--an editor for the master clock (for playing with swing on the fly)
--various evolve parameters
--preset selection
--saving of presets
I don't think there's a way to set presets via OSC yet. I will consider some options...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Update: I just spent some time with the mononote sequencer and TouchOSC. I've found two issues, so far:

--If I switch pages in TouchOSC and make changes with my mouse to something on a page not displayed on my iPad, when I return to the page the changes don't appear on the TouchOSC version, but if I move the fader on TouchOSC it snaps to wherever I have the fader. Is there a fix?
Check that the incoming port number for TouchOSC matches the outgoing OSC port number pref in Numerology. (just repeating this answer for anyone else who runs into this thread). Also, each time you start Numerology, you need to send at least one OSC message so Numerology will know what IP addr to use for reflected OSC messages.

Quote:
--Is there a way to get TouchOSC to actually display values (like numbers or note names) that the program displays? I'm thinking of functionality like LiveControl where the actual clip names and parameter names appear on my iPad screen.
I don't know, if someone does, I'd love to know how...

Quote:
--related to that, is there a way to get numerology to "light up" the step it's on in my TouchOSC screen?
There's no easy way that I know of. I'll consider some options...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-04-2011, 07:42 AM

The label parameter in touchosc can be controlled via on OSC in message from Numerology.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Yup -- pretty much everything can. The trick is to find a way to do it that can handle the nearly-infinite module/stack/modulation options available in Numerology....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Livecontrol use a python script that goes in the Live script folder, i'm not sure but i think that this scripts use the Live API
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 08-20-2011, 11:32 PM

JES: I have a billion half-finished TouchOSC projects, so I hear ya. My advice to you is to plan ahead. Think about your OSC namespaces ahead of time, consider writing down a list of everything.

Consider using pages for certain things that will look exactly the same. For instance, if you were going to make a 1 to 1 replica of the DrumSeq module, consider putting each track on separate pages, that way you don't have to manually enter the namespace each time - provided that you're using Auto Naming.

In the Controllers folder I have posted my TouchOSC template which allows you to switch between presets. Let me know if you are using an iPhone or iPod, and I'll make a template for your device. The preset triggering template should be OSC ready.

I am also working on a template that allows for of the DrumSeq in a similar fashion as Roland or Korg beat machines:

The red buttons represent all eight tracks of the DrumSeq, yellow buttons are for Accent and green is for mute step. The mixer allows for part volume, part accent amount, and other track and stack controls. Signal processing was originally done in Bidule, though I am thinking I am going to switch to Quartz Composer and build a standalone ... though I doubt I'll actually ever finish this one. It's just too big.

Another one that I am working on is the StrubBuddy controller, which isn't Numerology specific but rather is an AutoHarp-like controller. This too will require some sort of outside processing either as an Quartz Composer application or as a Bidule patch:

Here the the red "strings" will trigger notes that are selectively muted by the orange pushbuttons to form chords. A mute control will be implemented that controls velocity on the muted notes. While it's a generic controller, and can be used with any polyphonic instrument with a long enough release envelope.

My advice to you though is not to get overly ambitious right away, and expect to spend a lot of time programming. Fortunately you're using Numerology Pro, and OSC I think would go a bit faster than MIDI does.

Last edited by foreward; 08-21-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:42 AM

Hey There,

Thanks for the reply. I actually moved over to the Launchpad. It was totally worth the small investment. It's obvious that OSC will be incredibly powerful for programming and I can imagine all sorts of ipad/launchpad combinations, but the reality is I'd rather spend time making music than programming, and so I think I will leave the creativity in setting stuff up to others, at least for now.