Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-21-2011, 11:33 AM

Default Are you using it live?

Is anyone using Numerology live? I'm thinking it would be cool to use it with the modular and a few hardware pieces but trying to program it on a little screen is hard enough when I'm in the studio, can't imagine trying this live. Until there is a proper iPad app or controller app or some sort of better control situation I can't imagine it being used as anything more than for Presets that have already been made.
Any thoughts on this?
Suggestions?
Thanks!
-b
Old 02-22-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgreyarea View Post
[...] or some sort of better control situation I can't imagine it being used as anything more than for Presets that have already been made.
Any thoughts on this?
Suggestions?
Thanks!
-b
I would recommend checking out the (Novation) Touchpad for exactly this purpose, as Jim has put some awesome features into Numerology for that particular piece of hardware, which seem to be ideally suited for live programming.

On a side note, I am typically not trying to 'program' beats and melodies live, but am rather modulating pre-programmed material (e.g. tweaking filter, envelope and LFO parameters), mostly using MIDI CC# from external hardware controllers. But then again, I don't own a Launchpad yet. (it is still very high on my wishlist )
Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 AM

I'm going to use Numerology live tomorrow in Seattle @ the Living Room. I've been practicing using the Launchpad and it is FUN! Right now I have stack w/ a U-he Ace and another with Battery setup. I'll probably add a couple more synth stacks before the show. It's really easy to come up w/ melodies/sequences on the fly. The beat repeat on a step is really fun and accessible w/ the novation for making some quick glitched drums or variations on the melody. One thing I wish it had (maybe it does and I haven't figured it out yet) is a way to map a group of AU synths to one sequence and select which synth is active... that would be a great feature for live!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorfrio View Post
One thing I wish it had (maybe it does and I haven't figured it out yet) is a way to map a group of AU synths to one sequence and select which synth is active... that would be a great feature for live!
There will be an audio switch (4 in, 1 out) in 3.1 Pro...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
There will be an audio switch (4 in, 1 out) in 3.1 Pro...

Cheers,
Jim
NICE! Thanks Jim! Great application! Loads of fun!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:36 PM

I use it with a Launchpad. I think it's cool but I get a little lost when I have too much going on. No bueno. That's why I'd love to see an iPad app. Is the iPad powerful enough to run a MIDI only version of Numerology? It wold max out at 16 MIDI channels but that would be kinda neat live.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Administrator

The iPad is definitely powerful enough to run at least a subset -- the issue there isn't capability, it is development time and how to position it in a highly competitive market.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 PM

I'd say start with the chord, poly and mono sequencers, modulation sequencer, and preset grid with mute/solo buttons. Keep it to MIDI only. Maybe some X/Y and fader bits and the drum sequencer as well?
Time. Never enough of it.
-b
Old 02-27-2011, 03:55 PM

Numerology and the launchpad is all about live. You probably just need to spend more time with it dude.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 AM

I play with it every day. It's cool, but I find I still have to keep checking the screen to see where and what I'm doing. Especially when using the Chord Sequencer. I don't know if I'll ever get use to using it with such little visual feed back as to what I'm doing.
It did make me go back and brush up on a little music theory which was refreshing.

Once you're 20-30 minutes in to an improv piece it can get a little confusing especially if you want to change things up . . like the key of every sequencer at the same time. I don't think that's even possible.

BTW, I know a guy who can program the **** out of Lemur and other OSC things, all he requires is for me to get him a license for Numerology. Oddly enough he is not very familiar with it. Is this thing big in Europe?