Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 AM

Default Top Ten Features you might have missed!

After using Numerology for about 21 months, but not constantly, I have other areas of interest that I disappear to for long periods. (Photography, does 50,000 clicks over the past 3 years sound like at lot? It IS a Lot) Anyways when I get going on a subject, I burn intensly on it for a period of time, to the exclusion of all else.. It's like searching for clues while the crime scene is still fresh.

Numerology was opgraded to version 3 not long ago. but even before that it was a heavily feature laden program.

Many of these features both those that have been added and those that were present in Numerology 2 were at first glance, to a Newbie to modular sequencing techiniques, obscure, difficult to grasp their usefulness.

I speak here from my own experience I'm not a modular expert, I had no experience of modular sequencing before I discovered Numerology and now 21 months later I still discover new angles and methods daily ,when working in depth on a project where I'm trying to push my own borders.

It's true that modular sequencing has indeed influenced the Main Stream sequencers like Cubase, Logic, and so on But these modular influences are often well hidden. The most obvious modular qualities in the Main Stream would be the signal routing pages like the Enviroment in Logic.

Anyways I seem to always make a short story long so here's my "Top Features you might have missed" list in no particular order:

1 CV switches 1 input to 2, 4, or 8 destinations

Take the output from one modluator an Lfo for example and send it out to four different modulation destinations. This saves on Lfo resources that can take up a fair bit CPU power. The CV switch also has the option to use it in Clock mode, sequenced or manual mode. This gives a lot of possibilities for among other things dynamic modulations. Imagine you could set it up to effect four different effects processors mix amount in an effects chain so you get a morph from a distortion to Granular effect over into a delay and a reverb! This could be further refined by using midi delays or enevelops in the CV chain to make crossfades and such.

2. CV switches 2,4,or 8 inputs to 1 output, this makes it possible to have your destination module listen to different sources, very handy and can help save on paramod modules at the very least. But mainly it's the creative application that make it a very useful tool. Lets say you want a note generator to listen to 4 diifferent interval sequencers in succession from four different sequencers on the same stack or even from other stacks if you want, but keep the same gates and velocity.. Use the CV switch for this, tap the interval sequencers connect one each to the CV inputs 1 to 4 use CV output and input modules for external stack input or just use the stacks own dedicated CV outputs and inputs.

3. CV delay a utility type tool for solving timing issues but can and should be used as a creative tool.. One example of how I’ve used the CV delay was by routing an Lfo with a LOOOONG periods and sent it to 3 or more CV delays to create a wave moving through the volume faders on the mixer, great for giving a mix life. Keep it subtle or make rude.

4. The button box.

Oh I looked at the button box early on in my Numerology learning curve and thought arh hmm duh, that doesn't seem that useful a button hurump. and just let it sit unused on it's powder blue shelf on the CV generators module list..

Don't be fooled this thing is great.

You want to initiate all of your stack preset changes in a big project, but don't want to have to jump around the mixer, or the rack to get to the presets..

With several button boxes you can make a preset panel in a rack dedicated to "Global" control sources. Insert say 4-6 button boxes in the stack connect the midi out to a midi out module and assign it to the midi Remote bus (find that on the stack routing page). On the midi assign advanced drop down on the Button box you can set it to it's button mode I use "momentary" and choose program change for message type . Now set your presets to listen to your program changes. Fast and easy, no need for parammod modules it’s built in.

Take note you can also use the CV output per button if you like. Route one button to a paramod module or even several paramod modules if you want to set both the heavens and the earth into movement simultaneously!! This could also be done with midi, then you'd assign the different destinations using midi learn.

5. Dual Lfo.
Seems like a new weird idea at first exciting and then well it was kind of hard to use so the old Dual Lfo also got to sit on the powder blue shelf. The single Lfo that seemed snappier more to the point.. Dual what???

Don't let initial difficultly of setup scare you off. The Dual Lfo lets you do some wonderful magical things..

I've made an Accelrando and push pull swing for making things feel more organic with the Dual Lfo..

Lfo A invert a saw wave give it a long period 8-32 bars and Lfo amount of say 75-80%

Lfo B a sine wave a period of 3 beats. amount 15-25%

Take the mixed output connect to a parametre mod module with a destination--> all modules--->Clock stack---> module Master clock--->parametre---->tempo

You will have to carefully adjust the range parametre on the paramodule so you get a meaningful result.. say an increase of 17% from the base tempo over 8-32 bars.

This is probably a really atypical way to use the Dual Lfo. But this example is just to show how open a tool this is.. Basically a sharp modulation can be smooth out, or a subtle but perhaps to regular modulation can be made to puls to hide the regularity..

6. Program Change. midi processing..

In the modular enviroment working with presets you can use the Program Change module to initiate events on preset change..Change sounds on external modules change presets on other stacks.

It's also interesting and useful sometime to not change precisely at preset change to delay the program change, I used this delay idea to create an audio fade up on a plug in(fix a bump in the output at preset change), To make this setup insert a Gate sequencer connect its Gate out to the program change modules "trigger in" Set the Gate sequencers "Play mode" to "Loop off" and Play "normal" Place your gate on two or three steps down the line use a Clock divi of say a half note. This is a handy trick in complicated Preset Playlist modus.

7. Per Stack Audio recording/Per Stack Midi recording.. just record enable the stacks or main output, start the transport, stop the transport look in your projects media folder and wauw, your recorded files are sittng there beaming like golden eggs of knowledge love and passion, ready to be imported into iTune for the audio playback or into your Fav sequencer for further editing... Beautiful, a long awaited Feature and works like a charm..strangely it doesn't seem to tax CPU resources either. I highly recommend that you capture your output from Numerology as audio often, Main mix output is what I mostly use.. Disk space is cheap, creativty is not...

8. The module, Save setting, and Load settings.. Get used to using this, do it often, it's like a mini save. It is also enables a type of Copy paste function, you can find these presets in your home directory-->Application support---->module type, folder.. Order this folder so it's easy to find your presets make an alphbetical group for example Dub 1, Dub 2 and they show up as a neat little list. rename presets, make it make sense, moved little used presets to a hidden folder if it's getting overcrowed in their. back it up.. copy it send it to your Cloud for reuse anywhere.. The settings Save and Load is your super secret tool.. a very localized save .. Learn about these things, and you'll never have to lose your great sequencers setup again..

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-17-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:36 AM
Numerologist

Great work Wade - thanks a million. This will be a great one for us to come back to again and again I'm sure
Old 09-17-2011, 01:37 AM

Thanks!

Points 4 & 5 had me laughing. Very accurate description of what I thought of them. (and still do to some extent)

I'm definitely going to experiment using program changes internally on presets. I think it is going to be incredibly useful. Point 8 makes me want to use more independent stacks, but for some reason I'm drawn to making smaller interconnected stacks.

Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:22 AM

Default Top Ten Feautres you might have missed! #9

9. The CV SignalProcessor. The lord of modular sequenceing, the fixer supreme, the King Kong crusher of difficulties.. Modular sequencing is often not for the faint of nerdyness heart.. Often problems arise, crying on the curb into the gutter types of problems frothing at the mouth problems, head banging problems.. Do not dismay help is on the way, The Signal Processor will switch things around so they work just right.

The Tip on Inverting a Gate On to a Gate off..http://five12.net/showthread.php?t=1585

This is a modus for using the Signal processor as diagnostic tool. Once you find the proper values save it as a preset!! You may find you will get a false positive and have to start adjusting things again, then it's nice to be able to go back and load an earlier version of your "fix".

Finding the Proper parametre values
Set up a little diagnostic chain of modules say a mono note or Synth or Effect processor the Destinations, the modulating source Lfo's Gates, your input from your midi controller,a CV Scope, the CV Signal Processor , a paramod module or two.. Set if up so your relevant value fields are visible on your Destination module, the Signal processor and your Generator..Paramodules value field. Now used you educated guess as to how too scale, offset, clip high and clip low. Input and Output range.. These thing these value fields are your team of helpers. Get a handle on this module.. And you wil be well on your way to reaching the next level of modular sequencing prowess!
In a way you are on your own in solving the small problems in each individual modular setup. There are so many variables in each individual case to take into account that it's often too time consuming for supporters or other users to do this type fiddling for you. I have got occasional fixes to my issues from other users here on the forum, but don't depend on it. Learn how to diagnose scaling, offset problems it's part of the skill set for using a modullar setup at an advanced level smoothly.

On a side note we could make a sticky thread on the forum here with solutions to common scaling and offset problems...

Finally when you find solutions that work, iron clad solutions, your modular SWAT team members. Save them as presets with clear names. They are gold. I've solved problems that were related to similiar problems I'd encountered earlier but which were at first glance not the same issues but on a hunch I loaded the old preset "fix" into the Signal Processor and presto it was just the Ticket!

Good luck with modular sequencings Problem solving modus. And think that most other big Software Packages put it off to "User error" os say we will solve it in the next update.. A lot of problems can be fixed right now easily by you yourself and "I".

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-17-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:14 AM

Default Feature # 10 Evolve

This is just a start on the final tip in the Ten features you might have missed.

In connection with my Wavetable Sample project I wanted to quickly setup a few sequencers to run for auditioning the waves and trouble shooting my wavetable instruments..

So this audition sequencer set up was kind of a secondary element to the main purpose. So I decided to just make a few basic lines and then put the sequencers into Evolve auto mode..

Evolve worked like a charm to give a feeling of development and drive to my sequences..

I had used the default number of Evolve slots per axis.. Then looking at the long list of empty slots, I came to the realisation that this Evolve feature if worked with in depth would be a very powerful tool.

So stay tuned Evolve is going to get a going over on my Numerology workbench.

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-30-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM

cool post man, thanks!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 AM

Great post Wade ..as usual
Thanks
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it