Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-30-2011, 03:05 AM

Default Computer Alert! Lion is hungry as a LION!

To those that have Macs systems with less ram, Lion may just be the Death Knell for your computer following with the present and future OSX system upgrades. My Mid 2007 will stay on snow leopard.

Lion doubles it's ram requirements from the 1 GB ram used by Snow Leopard needs to 2 GB ram! It's the multi touch functionality that is the culprit, amongst other "improvements".

So think carefully about your upgrade path, or you may just be eaten by a LION!

Quivering with fear in Copenhagen, Wade.

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-30-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:19 AM

Lion on my 2011 MB Pro ate all 4GB of ram pretty quickly, and got really slow. Figured something was wrong and tried to do a fresh install, but the installer is broken, it won't go past one of the last setup-dialogs. Same problem on two Macs. Had to reinstall SL and upgrade to 10.6.8 and then do the Lion upgrade. Problem went away and the machine behaves well now. Not a ram hog anymore. 2GB may be too little though, but Lion can be buggy as hell, at least as an upgrade to an old SL installation.

Had the issue with the mouse pointer suddenly jumping too (from network and/or other kernel activity) on a mini. This just went away one day.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:43 AM

Here i'm on 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 4G ram and works as i'm expected but i think to upgrade to 8G.
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 09-30-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleskus View Post
Lion on my 2011 MB Pro ate all 4GB of ram pretty quickly, and got really slow. Figured something was wrong and tried to do a fresh install, but the installer is broken, it won't go past one of the last setup-dialogs. Same problem on two Macs. Had to reinstall SL and upgrade to 10.6.8 and then do the Lion upgrade. Problem went away and the machine behaves well now. Not a ram hog anymore. 2GB may be too little though, but Lion can be buggy as hell, at least as an upgrade to an old SL installation.

Had the issue with the mouse pointer suddenly jumping too (from network and/or other kernel activity) on a mini. This just went away one day.
Well I have 4 GB installed on my iMac and if I lost 1 GB to the system for my usage it would be a siginificant reduction in Ram resources..

I'll stay on Snow Leopard with this computer. I feel that this kind of development is the thing that has to be handled by the user in a cool and collected way. Of course Apple wants us all to upgrade to Lion discover our programs don't work so well anymore and run out and buy a new computer..

The thing that gets me is I need more computation power in a new computer not a lot of new OS features that eat the additional power which results in my intented core tasks will still be underpowered even with a new computer upgrade. Another thing that seems a little strange to me is the Slowness of the CPU's speed increases. My 2007 iMac as a 2.4 Ghz processor. The lowest spec'd mac mini four years later is still only 2.3 Ghz. Sure there are improvements in the ram bus speed, and increase in the amount of ram. But it's raw computational power I need for my heavy synth plug ins.. They have something called hyper boost. but I haven't had the impression that people are getting huge benefits from these tweaks..

Listen and learn from this old Mac man..In the movie "Sleeper" by Woody Allen there is a scene where a satisfied owner of an new car that is so much better than the previous model points at the speedometer to show how fast it goes. But it actually is rigged so there is no improvment!! Great movie by the way..

Does it do what you want it to do, does the new computer improve things you need improving or is it just an incremental improvement that is then sucked dry by irrelevant features to the task at hand..

Multithreading for example still doesn't work optimally for audio applications After how long?

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-30-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 PM

No way I'm going back to SL, there's too much stuff i like I never advise people who aren't fairly computer savvy and patient to upgrade though. Too much funky stuff going on.

I've had some audio issues in Lion too. Helps closing a few apps. Had lots of clicking and drop outs, and especially playing back files directly from Finder (not quick look) is causing heavy CPU usage. Tip: don't leave Finder in the "all files" view. BTW, It's just a saved search. Spotlight / saved searches seems much buggier in Lion.

Multithreading is one thing, but something is off with multitasking on my Mini. HandBrake running at priority=20 makes the Mini a little slower, and i didn't have that problem on a 2006 iMac with SL, where it got totally out of the way (but both in Lion and SL on the 2010 Mini).
Old 10-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Interesting news on the memory front with Lion. I have not made the jump yet, other than some testing here and there. I find the ActivityMonitor to be a critical tool for watching memory usage and for CPU hogs -- Safari is usually the worst offender on both fronts. Also, I always recommend a reboot before any critical audio work.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM

I am seeing significant increase in performance on my late 2009 MBP, 2.4ghz 2gb from Snow Leopard. I'm going to increase RAM to accomodate my Maschine better, but overall the transition was very smooth.

I did a clean install, and was very careful not to migrate over anything aside from only work files (no applications, plugins, libraries). Maybe this has something to do with it - maybe there is some conflict from previous systems?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:01 PM

I'm currently rebuilding the applications on a new iMac i5 with Lion. I plan on reinstalling all the applications instead of a migration. Slower and will take weeks but it is safer. I came from a Tiger OS 10.4 system so migration is a problem anyway.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred Lost View Post
I'm currently rebuilding the applications on a new iMac i5 with Lion. I plan on reinstalling all the applications instead of a migration. Slower and will take weeks but it is safer. I came from a Tiger OS 10.4 system so migration is a problem anyway.
Interesting that migration is more problematic I shall take note of that! I'll likely get lion when I get a new computer and install it on the 2007 imac I'm using now as well.

I hate doing all this upgrading stuff. I suppose if you have two computers you could upgrade one while doing something useful on the other..

Wade
Old 12-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Administrator

My personal approach to this never-ending issue is:

- When I get a new computer, I re-format the main hard drive into 2 or 3 partitions -- usually 2 big ones (> 100 GB) and one small one (< 30GB).

- One of the big partitions gets the OS reinstalled and is the boot drive -- 10.6.8 on my current laptop.

- The 2nd and 3rd partitions are for new OS installs. The small partition is for pre-release installs, or just for testing.

- When I'm ready to start migrating to a new OS (Lion is next), I'll install it on the 2nd big partition, then start re-installing software as needed. I don't try to do everything at once, just things as I need them.

With that setup, I can try out a new OS, but at any time I can go back to the original (presumably reliable) OS install -- and of course I also need to flip back and forth regularly for product testing. I also never have to do an upgrade install (which always makes me nervous). There are some downsides:

- Splitting up a disk like this makes it harder to keep the partitions from filling up.

- If I'm not careful about managing my home directories, I can end up with duplicate copies of files and/or mis-managed versions of files.

Cheers,
Jim