Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Default Updates: Push, WWDC, N4, N3.2....

An Ableton Push arrived at my door just before I left to go out of town. I only got a chance to poke around with it a bit. Once I have a test build of Numerology 4 seeded (more on that in a bit), I'll look into supporting it.

I was lucky enough to get a ticket to WWDC this year. The keynote presentation is online at Apple, and I recommend at least watching the animated intro video -- it's a really well done animation showing Apple's design philosophy. This event for me is one where I typically work on more experimental stuff (in addition to going to lectures and such...) -- as I'll get direct access to Apple engineers to have my questions answered. This year I'll be looking at multi-threaded rendering and 'future graphics'. The former involves some internal restructuring on how Numerology's modules and UI elements communicate, as well as the nuts-n-bolts of rendering, buffer and thread management, etc. This is something I'm hoping to finish for N4, but haven't started yet, other than design work. The other item (graphics) is a 'clean-up' pass on Numerology's UI to enable some new features, specifically retina graphics and 'skinning'. Those are things that will come after N4, so I'm just looking to do some 'proof of concept' work for now.

And yes, I've seen the new Mac Pro and it is pretty weird looking. Regardless of how one feels about expandability, it will pack an amazing amount of computation into a very portable container...

Back to Numerology: On the 'really almost done' front, I'm going through most of the 'nearly completed' new stuff in Numerology 4 to tweak details before seeding it to a few private testers. I'll be starting with a small private group and then expanding it a bit before putting it up as a pre-release. A few notes -- this isn't everything, just a summary of things I'm trying to lock down before sending out any builds:

- Undo is working for all parameter changes. There is an "Undo History" window (just like photoshop). It's pretty cool...
- There are "track delays" built into the Stack Output modules (well, the delay bit, I have to add the UI). These will be used both for plugin delay compensation and for manual timing adjustments. I expect this will replace the somewhat-tricky-to-use 'Clock Delay' module.
- RTA (real-time-automation) is working, but I'm going over it again to make sure it will be usable. There's a teaser for it here: http://www.five12.net/showthread.php...ght=automation
- All 64-bit builds seem to be working well, not much to report there.
- The Browser is (finally) almost done -- I mostly just need to work out some details on handling .aupreset files. There's a really cool new feature where you can 'focus' on a part in the DrumSeq (or AudioSample) and load new samples just by using the arrow key to move through a folder -- great for auditioning a big set of samples.
- There is a new Controller Setup dialog for managing controllers, more on that later on...
- I will probably create a new installer, one that is 'integrated' into the app.
- I need to update some UI bits in the plugins so they have access to new features (like undo/redo and controller setups).

A quick update on Numerology 3.2: I'm working through a few issues with AudioUnits, so now is probably a good time to ping me if you are having any.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Fantastic news, Jim. Have a great conference.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM

Glad I checked in ! Very interesting and important developments.

The Mac Pro interests me for working on my big projects, this would be pretty portable too.

Now I just need to get my wallet to expand... Is there an Numerology module for that?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:41 PM

Hi Jim

I am really hoping there will be an option to select h.sync within Push's grid
this would provide for powerful live sequence transformations
Old 06-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientidm View Post
Hi Jim

I am really hoping there will be an option to select h.sync within Push's grid
this would provide for powerful live sequence transformations
That's on the list of things to look at, along with some sort of velocity support on all 'keyboard' pages (not needed for Push, of course)-- but all that has to wait until after I've got a beta out to a few folks... just finishing up the "Ableton Compatibility Mode" for the Launchpad now. Also recently added 'accidentals' support.

Cheers,
jim
Old 06-20-2013, 11:23 PM

i'm glad you are looking at adding h.sync
i think it will be one of the biggest grid performance improvements you could do
Old 07-01-2013, 11:22 AM

Great to hear your investing time in push development for numerolgy. Are you thinking of supporting standalone or vsti or both? I always liked the way we could use the launchpad play buttons to step through 'pages' to other elements of the sequencer. The push state control buttons are screaming out to be used this way I think. I like the way push grabs the parameters of lives plugins and would be nice if this was consistant in numerology.
Also be nice to be able to mess with evolve generation with touchstrip and encoder combination.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:28 PM

push controlling numerology in user mode is going to be off the charts amazing
Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM

i like the idea of adding in accidentals which would allow for gradual key changes along with other benefits
Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 PM

Default N4

If N4 doesn't have midi drag n' drop I will throw myself on Jim's doorstep and plead for a mercy killing. :-)