Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Default N4: OSC, RemoteSetup, ChordSeq, more Push, MIDI Env...

A few more updates:

- Controller Setup: All the new controller stuff will be accessed through a new dialog -- there's a couple picts below. Makes it much simpler to setup a variety of controllers...

- OSC: I've rewritten the OSC implementation to work better and be more flexible. It will now work with the Numerology AU & VST, and you can setup multiple OSC sources to talk to specific UDP ports on Numerology. Learned OSC params remember which 'port' they listened on, so you can more easily keep things organized. As before, OSC is N4 Pro only.

- Transport Remote : There's now a Controller Setup for a remote transport (see the pict below), works with MIDI notes and CCs or OSC. I plan to add MMC at some later date, but as it uses Sysex, I'm holding off a bit.

- Chord Seq : Finally stumbled upon a surprisingly simple algorithm for automatically picking the best chord for a given interval & key. So if you're in C-major, and you choose II, you get a minor chord, for VII, you get a diminished triad, etc. The great thing is that this will work with any chord family, and, in the future, with custom scales...

- Static Routing : Very rarely, but sometimes, I need to take something away. For N3, stack routings have been 'static' -- which means that they do not change from one stack preset to another. But you had the option to allow routings to change across presets. That is a very unusual and I'm pretty sure, very rarely used option. That option will be removed in N4. At some point (depending partially on user requests), I will add matrix mixers for audio and CV signals -- which is a better solution all around.

- Double Seq : There's now a button in all Sequencer for "Len X2" -- it doubles the current length of the sequencer. It will be mapped to the Launchpad, not sure just where yet.

- OHM RBG: The mapping is done!

- Ableton Push: The mapping is almost done, and the LCD is now supported for modes -- you get labels for where you are, stack & module names, etc. Also when using the Push with the Keyboard module, you get velocity, pitch bend and aftertouch.

- MIDI Environment Updates: Now when you plug-in or un-plug MIDI devices, Numerology will notice and act appropriately. I haven't quite covered every case here, but am very close...

- Audio Setup: Prefs for Sample Rate and Clock Source have been removed, and the code cleaned up to avoid some problems a few folks have had lately in N3. I will probably migrate those changes back to N3, but not until they have been tested a bit more. Overall it seems to be better to let the device and it's controller software to handle those things.

Next up is to finalize the Installer, cleanup the Patchbay Editor, and -- just for you Tommy (well, not completely) -- MIDI 'drag out' support. I recently had a bit of an epiphany on that feature that will make it both easier to implement and more useful...

More soon...
Jim
Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Oops, forgot the picts...
Attached Images
File Type: png Numerology4 ProScreenSnapz004.png (105.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: png Numerology4 ProScreenSnapz005.png (63.6 KB, 174 views)
Old 08-26-2013, 02:47 AM
Numerologist

Any news about the soft take over of MIDI values for controllers?
best
Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 AM

Looks very promising Jim!

I'm curious about that controller mapping (especially Push). When you select an AU instrument or FX, will it automatically map its 8 knobs/sliders to those mentioned, with banking as well (like for instance Ableton Live does)?

While i'm at it:
i'd love to see the Sample Synth/Drum Kit Modules get an update as well so you can SMOOTHLY modulate sample start, loop start and loop end and have EQUAL POWER crossfades for more natural sounding loops. I use this trick in Live's Simpler to create amazing textures and whatnot all the time. Right now i can't get the Sample Synth to give me the result like Simpler does, it's always so 'clicky'. Or am i doing something wrong?

GO JIM GO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 PM

Thumbs up

Coming along nicely Jim.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jue View Post
Any news about the soft take over of MIDI values for controllers?
best
The plan is to move code for handling the input/output side of MIDI learn (and reflection) to the new controller setup stuff -- that will give me a spot to do things like track current values for incoming CC's, handle increment/decrement type CCs, and so on. Having all OSC handled that way is the first step, but I haven't done the MIDI side yet.

Also, btw, N4 fixes issues parsing OSC messages from the Lemur iOS app...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33tetragammon View Post
I'm curious about that controller mapping (especially Push). When you select an AU instrument or FX, will it automatically map its 8 knobs/sliders to those mentioned, with banking as well (like for instance Ableton Live does)?
I haven't done anything with the knobs on the Push yet -- that will come later. Probably just some simple stuff -- allowing volume and adjustment of sequencer params, before attempting anything with AUs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33tetragammon View Post
While i'm at it:
i'd love to see the Sample Synth/Drum Kit Modules get an update as well so you can SMOOTHLY modulate sample start, loop start and loop end and have EQUAL POWER crossfades for more natural sounding loops. I use this trick in Live's Simpler to create amazing textures and whatnot all the time. Right now i can't get the Sample Synth to give me the result like Simpler does, it's always so 'clicky'. Or am i doing something wrong?
Hmm, I think I'll have something for you, but I can't really say how yet...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 AM

Exciting times Jim, I can't wait for N4 to hit the virtual shelves...
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post

Hmm, I think I'll have something for you, but I can't really say how yet...

Cheers,
Jim
Wow....seriously....wow.....hey, as long as it works, i don't care HOW it works....
I'm patiently waiting with creditcard in my hand......exciting times ahead......
Old 09-02-2013, 09:40 PM

Hell yes.

This update has me super stoked, both in terms of specific updates and how quickly you're moving!

The controller setup section and the OSC possibilities are looking absolutely fun + useful.

Numerology is the program that makes me carry my Launchpad everywhere and regret when I've forgotten it.

Last edited by renderful; 09-02-2013 at 09:51 PM.