Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 01-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Administrator

MIDI recording (and SMF import of some sort) is definitely on the 3.0 list. It will probably start very simple, with a per-stack recording option.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-03-2010, 12:05 PM

Default N3 Development Path

Jim:

The new developments are exciting, but I too am concerned that such a bifurcated code path may slow development. I feel that the price is already very reasonable, so perhaps all roads could lead to Pro. I do like the idea of a sequencer as an AU insert though, and I know that MIDI output from an AU "breaks the rules" and is a technical challenge (VST's don't have this limitation).

I'd also like to throw in my two cents again for a request that I posted before: a "snapshot sequencer" module. This would be a huge win, and would allow some fairly complex passages by automating the selection of snapshots.

I am aware that you can trigger snapshots with MIDI notes or program changes. With a snapshot sequencer though, it would be ideal if you could trigger a different snapshot after a predefined number of bars. A further enhancement would be the ability to vary the number of bars (For instance, trigger a snapshot after 4 bars, then the next snapshot after 8 bars, etc.). And of course, the ability to specify which snapshot to switch to so that you could trigger them out of order would top it off nicely.

The snapshot sequencer could also be configured to loop (with potential direction changes) or act as a one-shot (step through all snapshots defined in the sequence and then stop). This has the added benefit of being able to simply trigger a single snapshot and play for a specified number of bars and then stop, which is helpful for sending a string of MIDI events to a DAW for further processing.

The design could be very similar to that of the current mono sequencer. Imagine, similar to the monophonic sequencer, if you had a group of snapshot-selection sliders (or a matrix) at the top (these would choose which snapshot is triggered, say 1 through 16). Underneath, you'd have other slider values similar to the mono sequencer's gate, etc. However, these would select how long (in bars) each step lasts before the next snapshot is chosen.

This "metasequencer" would be an extremely powerful tool - I'd love to see it in N3/Pro!

Keep up the great work!
Old 01-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottylad View Post
Jim:

The new developments are exciting, but I too am concerned that such a bifurcated code path may slow development. I feel that the price is already very reasonable, so perhaps all roads could lead to Pro. I do like the idea of a sequencer as an AU insert though, and I know that MIDI output from an AU "breaks the rules" and is a technical challenge (VST's don't have this limitation).
Doing the AU does slow things down a bit, but in addition to the obvious improvements in integration options, the changes I'm implementing will strengthen the overall code base significantly -- much as the ReWire driver and the AU implementation for ReWire did. I am modifying quite a bit of the low-level code to support running as an AU, but very few of the changes only benefit the AU. Most of the code specific to the AU is within a single C++ class, and probably less than 100 lines of code are specific to the MonoNote itself.

And, as much as a PITA much of this coding is, one of the benefits of the AU development is that it gives me a chance to re-examine many details about Numerology's design. For instance, the new UI, the preset playlist, and an important change to AU hosting (being able to switch AU's within the module) will all benefit the standalone program.

You are correct about VST's and MIDI, however the problem there is the version issue: It would better for me to use VST 3 with Cubase, but Live only supports VST 2 -- if I remember correctly. Nonetheless, it is something I'm looking into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottylad View Post
I'd also like to throw in my two cents again for a request that I posted before: a "snapshot sequencer" module. This would be a huge win, and would allow some fairly complex passages by automating the selection of snapshots.

I am aware that you can trigger snapshots with MIDI notes or program changes. With a snapshot sequencer though, it would be ideal if you could trigger a different snapshot after a predefined number of bars. A further enhancement would be the ability to vary the number of bars (For instance, trigger a snapshot after 4 bars, then the next snapshot after 8 bars, etc.). And of course, the ability to specify which snapshot to switch to so that you could trigger them out of order would top it off nicely.

The snapshot sequencer could also be configured to loop (with potential direction changes) or act as a one-shot (step through all snapshots defined in the sequence and then stop). This has the added benefit of being able to simply trigger a single snapshot and play for a specified number of bars and then stop, which is helpful for sending a string of MIDI events to a DAW for further processing.

The design could be very similar to that of the current mono sequencer. Imagine, similar to the monophonic sequencer, if you had a group of snapshot-selection sliders (or a matrix) at the top (these would choose which snapshot is triggered, say 1 through 16). Underneath, you'd have other slider values similar to the mono sequencer's gate, etc. However, these would select how long (in bars) each step lasts before the next snapshot is chosen.

This "metasequencer" would be an extremely powerful tool - I'd love to see it in N3/Pro!

Keep up the great work!
This sounds to me like the preset playlist from the AU combined with some "event control" options -- possibly even an 'event' sequencer. This idea of exposing events and using them for composition is a meme I'm starting to see regularly. Numerology has an extensive event mechanism internally, so it seems like the thing to do is to start exposing that a bit. Of course, the "MIDI" streams within the program are events, but there should be more of them, as well as connection and processing options for events, modules to generate them, etc, etc....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 PM

I have a very short list of things I would like to see for N2 (Gate CV module CC bug, disable midi devices, option to have presets stop when not pressed), but I am excited for N3 Pro & the sequencers and even willing to prepay for this!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 PM

This idea of exposing events and using them for composition is a meme I'm starting to see regularly

Can you explain a bit more please?

Also, the ability to take snapshots of your hosted au (i.e. Arturia's CS80 or something and to be able to sequence the selection of snapshots / presets - that would be pretty f*cking rad. It wouldn't work with sample based Au's but I think it would with the synthesis ones. Some sort of morphing between snapshots could also be cool. . .

Also, any chance of a notation module? i know this might sound esoteric for some but i have just picked up William Russo's Composition book as well as Mathieu's book on harmony so it would be awesome to be able to use Numerology for this (as Ableton doesn't have notation input and I am not going to learn another sequencer like Sibelius, i'd rather rock paper and a pencil I think).. .

It would make numerology quite a fierce composition tool I reckon. . .
Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINSTATES View Post
"This idea of exposing events and using them for composition is a meme I'm starting to see regularly

Can you explain a bit more please?"
See this thread: http://www.five12.com/vbForum/showthread.php?t=679
and this one: http://www.five12.com/vbForum/showthread.php?t=675

In both cases, there is the desire to trigger some action (changing presets, resetting presets, or randomizing a sequence) and that idea follows an event model more than say, just changing a parameter. There are also several 'event' type things you can perform on a sequence: invert, shift left, shift right, reset, etc. However, there is no clear idea of an event from the UI perspective, and no obvious way to control them, either from MIDI, or from an internal control source (like a sequencer).

On the other hand, parameters in Numerology are a more clearly defined concept -- you can use MIDI learn on almost any parameter, and you can use ParamMod to control them in interesting ways. In fact, the way that MIDI learn and ParamMod work on the invert and shift functions of a sequencer is that those are really events masquerading as parameters. The reason for them to pretend to be parameters is that Numerology doesn't have a way (yet) to have MIDI learn on "events" or a way to trigger such events. I think that is something that should be addressed, and I think that having a clean event system could lead to some very interesting compositional directions.

Quote:
Also, the ability to take snapshots of your hosted au (i.e. Arturia's CS80 or something and to be able to sequence the selection of snapshots / presets - that would be pretty f*cking rad. It wouldn't work with sample based Au's but I think it would with the synthesis ones. Some sort of morphing between snapshots could also be cool. . .
Both snapshots and morphing should be pretty easy, but in order to get accurate timing on preset changes, the change has to happen on the render thread, and some AU's really don't like to have their presets changed on the render thread.

Quote:
Also, any chance of a notation module? i know this might sound esoteric for some but i have just picked up William Russo's Composition book as well as Mathieu's book on harmony so it would be awesome to be able to use Numerology for this (as Ableton doesn't have notation input and I am not going to learn another sequencer like Sibelius, i'd rather rock paper and a pencil I think).. .

It would make numerology quite a fierce composition tool I reckon. . .
Notation, at least, any sort of traditional notation, is really difficult to do well, but I do find it to be an interesting request...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-05-2010, 12:16 AM

Notation seems so counter to Numerology's focus.

As far as "rendering" midi, I always just record directly to Live.

If you haven't converted all of your CVs to midi, you might be disappointed in the results anyways...

As far as sequencing presets, the timeline already does this in a linear way. Live handles this by clip follow actions, there is this % chance that a certain clip (next/previous/first/last/random) will play after X number of iterations of the currently playing clip.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:49 AM

Default yeah!

Can't wait 4 the upgrade to Num lvl 3 !!!! Jim you RULE!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Notation seems so counter to Numerology's focus.
Interesting,

How so? I think it's far closer than you think. I am talking from a composition point of view.

Due to the fact I can't play notes into Numerology it forces one to think about music as a composer, rather than a performer. you might be just plonking stuff in randomly and that works obviously but if one wants to go further then the software guides you to think along the lines of a traditional composer - i.e. work out the melody before / as you enter the parameters.

I realised after using Num for a bit that although I can knock out some fairly decent music, I could do witha lot more 'real' music training.

So i figured i'd start with two of the best recommended books (oh and btw Jim thanks for the other book tip, it's out of print but I have a copy coming from the states I think).

Notation, at least, any sort of traditional notation, is really difficult to do well, but I do find it to be an interesting request...
Cheers,
Jim[/quote]

I know literally close to zero about notation. I could just about write some of my stuff out given enough time, manuscript, a pencil, sharpener and an eraser

As I mentioned earlier in my post I thought that could be an excellent composition sketch pad. obviously it has to be coded and I guess that might not be as easy as one would hope!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:34 PM

Default minor (pun intended) desire

Kind of in line with the composition comments, I would really like for there to be an option on the seq step labels that would make them display the actual note (or interval) that is being output when you switch to minor or phrygian or someday to user defined scales. Also being able to set the enharmonic preference for sharps or flats would be great for those times when you want to think in E. While in some ways these are perhaps small things, as I should probably just use my ears, it would still make composition a much more smooth process.

Thanks for all the awesome work Jim, look forward to the next release, hopefully the job market will be kind by then so I can upgrade ASAP to Pro .