Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 PM

Default The Most Numerology-Compatible DAW +

I'm new to Numerology...and Logic. Please excuse any ignorance that shows here.

I'm looking for people's opinions on the most suitable DAW to use with Numerology. I'm currently using Logic Pro 9.

I'm planning on using Numerology extensively and predominantly combined with Arturia's virtual Analog synths. Logic is revealing itself to be a royal pain in the arse (when combined with Numerology) and based on what Jim has explained about it being a lousy MIDI clock source etc. I'd like to know if there's a more suitable DAW for the job of syncing with Numerology properly and without a thousand complicated workarounds.

I'm also considering getting a 6 or 12 core Mac Pro but it appears that Logic does not take advantage of hyperthreading/multithreading very well (that it becomes unstable). So what would be the point?. I want to be able to use Numerology and the CPU-hogging virtual analog synths without constant crashing, freezing and the complexities of Logic, it's multithreading deficiencies and it's Numerology compatibility issues.

I'm looking for a DAW that does timestamp MIDI properly and seeking recommendations on one that would utilize multi-core capacity more efficiently and be more Numerology friendly. Anyone?

THANKS
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Administrator

For the tightest, lowest latency integration with a DAW, you'll want to use Numerology in AU or VST mode, but the key is MIDI output support for plugins by the host -- All VSTs hosts seem to have that covered, but only a few AU hosts (Audiomulch, Bidule, Studio One).

However, that doesn't mean that the plugin option is the best solution in all cases. Depending on your setup and workflow, standalone (with or without MIDI sync) or ReWire mode may work better.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-02-2012, 04:43 AM

I own Logic but i use only for editing what i'm doing with numerology standalone or with Numerology as AU or VST in AudioMulch and Bidule.
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 PM

Don't know if it will meet your needs but I use Live and it's been great with Numerology.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 AM

I also use Live.

It hosts the plugins (mostly CPU intensive synth Diva in Divine mode), with N3 in Rewire sending out MIDI to the targeted synths/samplers/fx.

It has many many flaws, its PDC sucks big times for example. It's not the most CPU efficient DAW either... but some of its feature are essential to me.

If Reaper had similar MIDI features as Live, I'd use it instead. I also prefer mixing my tracks with Reaper (much more CPU friendly, better multi-threading/core performance, great PDC, infinite routing possibilities, bezier curves etc...).

So my point is : use the DAW you're the most comfortable with. See how you can incorporate N3 to your set-up and workflow. If Logic doesn't make it for you, then try Ableton. If Ableton doesn't either, see if you can do everything with N3 stand-alone. It's all about trial and errors I'm afraid

Oh and buy the computer with more raw CPU power you can afford. You can't go wrong doing so if you rely heavily on soft synths. N3 and most DAWs will eventually handle those powerful CPUs pretty well.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's all really helpful. I'm still with Logic but considering trying out Studio One. I guess you're right, nil, it's all about trial and error. Good to have input from others though.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:10 AM

+1 for Live.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM

I'm using Numerology with Logic and the setup works pretty good for me. I use Numerology stand alone rewired into Logic. Logic's shit midi implementation sucks for recording more then one track, but I just record them to midi files with Numerology to bypass that problem.

Personally, I prefer the standalone version in comparison to the Audio Unit. Just setup your IAC busses and you'll be good to go. The timing is pretty spot on for the most part. If you do have a problem the clock offset module in Numerology can be used to fix any issues.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 AM

Stand-alone is the best, most enjoyable way to use Numerology. But unfortunately it's not the most CPU efficient solution... yet.