Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Composition & Sequencing

Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 PM

Default Can I throw my DAW out?

Can I sequence it all in N3, then record those sequences to my multitrack (the new one from Bias Peak), add the live stuff, (vocals, guitar, etc), FX, mix, and master thus bypassing LOGIC or LIVE or REAPER or other DAW?

What would I lose? I never use the FX or VSTs that are in the DAW. I can mix and master on my multitrack recorder.

Can I throw my DAW out?

Last edited by Tommy Zai; 05-24-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
Can I sequence it all in N3, then record those sequences to my multitrack (the new one from Bias Peak), add the live stuff, (vocals, guitar, etc), FX, mix, and master thus bypassing LOGIC or LIVE or REAPER or other DAW?

What would I lose? I never use the FX or VSTs that are in the DAW. I can mix and master on my multitrack recorder.

Can I throw my DAW out?

I'm working out my own way of Numerology for making music. I don't even use the Daw for mix down.. It's a very diffirent way to make music. I like it very much, but perhaps as it's early days it's not super productive. But the music I produce with it will be unique, and I can't see how I could how gotten to the same place with any other technology..

Give it try.. You can check my many posts on what I've come up with for set up.. Though it's changes almost constantly as I try and juggle the limitations of my CPU..

That's one area where mixing out to a DAW might be a good solution, when you arrangements get too large for numerology..

Regards

Wade
Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 AM

Default Wade!

Thanks for replying.
I'm just trying to simplify my setup. The DAW is supposed to make life simple, but why did I make much more music in the old days? I just don't see whey I can't sequence in N, then record onto track, FX, mix, and master. If things got big I could just bounce/record them onto track and go from there . . . I think. I like working in modules, but in the end it needs to go linear to have the songs in a timeline. Can I work linearly in N?
Thanks My Friend.
We are pioneers. :-).
Old 05-26-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
Can I work linearly in N?
Thanks My Friend.
We are pioneers. :-).
There is a Timeline, which you can use to place your presets per stack, then you drag the mouse to set the length of bars..

I personally don't use the Timeline I've setup things with a Master Control stack that makes all stacks change there presets chronologically through the arrangement.. I get a overview of long arrangements then I can jump into editing on whatever stack I need to. It's a very strange experience to work this way like always adjusting small elements to get things to line up, more like plotting the course of satellites than driving a car..

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 05-26-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 PM

Default I think . . .

If I break away from a linear DAW I will be forced to focus on the immediate sound . . . sonic effect and stop thinking ABABCAB . . . at least for the time being. :-).
Old 05-27-2011, 01:52 AM

I need both Numerology and a DAW. Numerology is *the instrument* while the DAW is *the recorder* and finalizer. In a DAW you can also do a lot of sweetening to the sound by applying dynamic processing by side-chain techniques etc. In my book DAW work is a boring handcraft while Numerology is exciting creativity.
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 05-27-2011, 02:20 AM

Default Sensible point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Boysen View Post
I need both Numerology and a DAW. Numerology is *the instrument* while the DAW is *the recorder* and finalizer. In a DAW you can also do a lot of sweetening to the sound by applying dynamic processing by side-chain techniques etc. In my book DAW work is a boring handcraft while Numerology is exciting creativity.
I think for producing the highest quality there probably is no way around using a DAW.. I'm personally not forced into anything as producing finished work, so I can work in WHAT IF mode and see how far I can go with that.. It's fun to wring as much out of a tool as possibe, and opens up new ways of thinking and working that can applicable in other situations, and yes in combination with the DAM DAW..

Wade
Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 AM

This is my first post on this forum, so hello!

I use Numerology together with Reason (6 now) and absolutely love it, but sometimes I happen to just work in in-the-box in Numerology which gives me more flexibility. I think it's great that the developer finally has introduced built in effects and samplers, the bare-boned setup is inspirational and makes you focus 100% on sequencing interesting patterns.
Reason (or a DAW) and Numerology are very different working environments, and a deadly combination.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:49 PM

There isn't any way to do fades and other automations, as far as I know, within the timeline. I suppose you could rig up a fade with a preset, or make a separate stack for various automations that transcend single presets, but doing these things in my DAW just makes more sense (well, once I get everything up and runny, anyway). I am sure that Jim is planning on adding Timeline-level automation, but until then, I'm still using my DAW for these kinds of tasks.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:38 AM

While Numerology is a fantastic application for sequencing midi/notation, it still isn't a full featured DAW like say Logic or Protools HD. For audio sequencing and using your DAW like a mixing desk and multitrack recorder you should have a full featured DAW as well as Numerology. So, I guess my answer would be no, don't throw your DAW out (although I would consider cross grading to something better than Sonar, but that's just me).