Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Composition & Sequencing

Old 04-16-2009, 04:09 AM

i had similar problem too.
Actually I' use the Kineme Midi plugin instead the native midi patch ( can be reached at www.kineme.org , require registration)
and seems more reliable, but mainly i use the QC patch via VDMX and this work like a charms .
But i think that you can try the kineme patch.

best
Diego
Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 PM

As as user of Ableton Live since 2002 I was one of the few disappointed to hear all the hullaballo of the joining forces with Max because I just knew it wasnt going to amount to much at all. Massive threads on the Ableton forum a couple of years ago about how amazing it will be (except for a couple of dissenters like me). Now you dont hear a thing about it, all those heavy voices who said it would be the sequencer killer of all sequencers are silent now. If Ableton had joined forces with Numerology that would have been a different matter. Seems to me a no brainer but peraps its a good thing because they would have destroyed Numerology if they bought it ouright

Ive gone off Ableton now anyway. They pander to noobs screaming for features they think will make them a hit record and they usually get them.

And they stole the programmer of the best soft sampler around (Shortcircuit) bought him off and made him stop finishing shortcircuit 2 which was going to be a samplists dream sampler and raped his ideas for their drum racks whichis a watered down version of shortcircuit, they dont even compare actually. Thats where they got the idea from in ver 5. Ableton havent come up with an original idea since day 1. Even Live was an old Atari programme. The guy who wrote the programme has signed a non disclosure agreement and he simply refuses to to talk about his original creation.* If you had ever seen Live for the Atari, it really is exactly the same except then of course it didnt have audio. Actuyally trying to find a copy of the original Live for the Atari is incredibly difficult. Its as if someone has been going around hoovering them up

yeah Im a little angry as I bought short circuit1 which is great but it has its shortcomings and the sound can be a little grainy. Circuit 2 which you can download free but its basically a beta version and cannot be trusted as it loses files and has even corrupted whole song files But it was exactly what I many others needed, a real software sampler, not a software sampler player. I waited over a year after he announced it, beta tested, couldn't wait to get the final version. Then he simply stopped. yeah, he sold out and left all his users of SC1 in the lurch. I totally lost respect for the guy. He cant put the code on open source because of course Ableton own him and it now. Al for a few $$$
Old 07-25-2010, 06:58 AM

@RHR: re: the ideal sampler: I've never really wanted to use samplers in realtime, so I haven't really played with it at all, but some people seem to really dig STEIM's LiSa too; are you familiar with that?

Also, don't you think the Shortcircuit dev is responsible himself as well for signing any kind of deal with Ableton giving them some sort of exclusivity?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
I'm totally into live samling and didn't know about LiSa! (using Mobius and various Bidule builds over here)

But LiSa looks a bit obsolete:
Quote:
LiSa 1.25 runs on any G3 or G4 PowerMac with OS X 10.3 or higher, and a minimum of 128 MB of RAM.
Does someone know if there is a version planned for today's Mac boxes that use Intel processors? Nothing mention in the manual whether it supports AU plug-in technology in some way?
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 07-25-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Boysen View Post
I'm totally into live samling and didn't know about LiSa! (using Mobius and various Bidule builds over here)

But LiSa looks a bit obsolete:
Does someone know if there is a version planned for today's Mac boxes that use Intel processors? Nothing mention in the manual whether it supports AU plug-in technology in some way?
Yes it does look obsolete, and probably is. That's why I never touched it.

I hang out at STEIM regularly, and will nag them once more about it on your behalf. Feel free to come over and join in any day, btw. When I talked to their main software development guy, I didn't get the impression that it was very high on their todo list. However, you must understand this in the perspective that STEIM is not a software firm; and is entirely non-commercial (they don't make any profit on the sales of their software), relying on public funding to exist; their focus is mainly on pioneering, to some extent they nowadays probably consider this type of development mainstream / commercially viable enough for others to pursue.

(Much like they leave the development of Crackleboxes to Apple and a horde of indie AppStore devs nowadays. )

Last edited by Sjoerd; 07-25-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Administrator

There is a LiSA mailing list somewhere on the net, but I don't have a link handy. Interestingly enough, two of the most advanced LiSA users are in New Mexico, but I haven't spoken to them about it in quite a while.

FYI: Expert Sleepers' Crossfade Loop Synth can do live sampling when run as an effect. I like to use it to confuse a guitar-player friend of mine...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
FYI: Expert Sleepers' Crossfade Loop Synth can do live sampling when run as an effect.
That's a plugin I love too! Used it in combination with a step sequencer in Bidule to build a prototype of my live sampling instrument idea "Steppohonic Looperformer". Presentation and sound clips here: http://www.perboysen.com/archives/711
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
There is a LiSA mailing list somewhere on the net, but I don't have a link handy.
Here you go: http://lists.steim.org/mailman/listinfo/lisa
Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 PM

I had a chance to play with LiSa for a few days once on a friend's system, it is great. More people should diverge from the old paradigm of copying traditional hardware samplers/ROMplers.

As for Max for Live... It puzzles me like the Numerology AU - why would anybody embed a more powerful application inside a less powerful one? I really don't understand it.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Administrator

I'll take that as a compliment!

As for the "why" part, it has to do with integration...

Cheers,
Jim