Numerology 4 : What's New
Updated 20 Oct 2014 with pretty much everything as of build 145...
New Features For both N4 SE & Pro:
- 64-bit: There are now 64-bit versions of the Numerology App, ReWire driver and Plugins. The App and Plugins are also still available to run in 32-bit mode. Numerology requires a Mac with an Intel chip running Mac OS 10.6.8 or later.
- RTA Recording : There is a new realtime automation feature for recording and loop-playback of gestures from MIDI and OSC controllers as a pattern is playing. RTA loops can be up to 64 beats long and recording can be set to fixed lengths or looped on-the-fly. N4 SE is limited to 4 concurrent RTA tracks. There is an RTA Report dialog for viewing what RTA tracks are active at any time. From that dialog they can be muted or deleted.
- SampleKit : A new sample-playback module with zoomable waveforms and a flexible synthesis engine.
- All new demo projects, stacks, built-in sounds and audio samples.
- The Browser: There is a new integrated browser for Modules, Stacks, Audio Files & MIDI Files. You can browse module presets, stacks, AU preset files and audio & MIDI files. Module presets and stacks can be loaded via drag-&-drop. Audio files can be previewed and added to a project via drag-&-drop as well. The browser displays both factory-installed modules & stacks as well as user created modules, stacks and other file types. You can directly insert a new module from a preset file by dragging it into a stack. You can load a module preset onto an existing module of the same type by dropping the module preset file on top of the target module. There is an auto-load function for quickly auditioning module presets and audio files.
- Drag & Drop Export for Module Presets : There is a new 'floppy' icon on each module's header. By clicking on it then dragging it to the Browser, you can export that modules's settings as a preset file.
- Preset Length : Numerology's Stack Presets can now have an assigned length in beats. That length can be used for quantizing preset changes in time, and the preset playlist's 'play length' settings are now calibrated in 'preset lengths', which makes it much easier to build simple arrangements.
- The Timeline can now record preset changes in realtime. It also has much-improved zooming with zoom in/out buttons, more natural zoom levels, and more zooming range overall. The timeline now has a draggable wiper, and you can control-click on a track to insert a preset block.
- MIDI Clips : All Numerology's stacks now have a built-in MIDI loop recorder that keeps track of all MIDI generated by a stack. These clips are can be exported to any app that can read MIDI files.
- There is a new Controller Setup dialog for managing MIDI & OSC controllers.
- N4 adds support for using multiple Launchpads at the same time, all varieties are supported: Launchpad, Launchpad S, Launchpad Mini.
- There is now support for the Ableton Push & OHM RGB, with all the same functions as the Launchpad mapping.
- Support for the Keyboard module from all grid controllers, (with velocity & pitch bend on the Push).
- 'Ableton Compatibility Mode' allows using a Launchpad with both Numerology and Ableton Live at the same time.
- There is now support for programming accidentals (pitch values not in the currently selected scale) in all grid controllers for the MonoNote and PolyNote sequencer modules.
- There is a new Transport Remote controller option with both OSC and MIDI variants.
- There is a new Mixer Remote controller option, also with both OSC and MIDI variants.
Features Specific to Numerology4 Pro:
- Undo/Redo : N4 Pro supports undo & redo for many common operations, along with an undo history dialog and up to 999 levels of undo.
- Track Delays : N4 Pro now has track delays on all tracks (a.k.a stacks), with automatic delay compensation for hosted plugins.
- N4 Pro has an all-new OSC implementation with support for Bonjour, multiple OSC sources, the ability to map 'multi-float' OSC messages to sequencer sliders, and much better overall compatibility with various OSC controller apps and message types.
- There is a new 'direct access' OSC messaging api for setting parameters and changing presets.
- OSC is now supported in the Numerology AU, AU MIDI Effect and VST plugins.
- There is now an OSC input module for converting OSC signals to Numerology's internal CV signal format.
Other Features & Updates:
- There are new 'heads-up' overlays when dragging modules within or into a stack to make it clear where the module will be inserted, or if it will be loaded as a preset.
- All user-generated files other than projects are now saved in folders created within ~/Music/Five12.
- The ChordSeq module has a new 'best-fit' algorithm for automatically choosing the correct chord type given a key, scale & base interval.
- Much better performance when loading and saving projects.
- Stack Preset Control via MIDI : There is now an option to turn on an 'auto-assignment' property in the Stack Detail dialog. This makes it easy to setup control of stack presets via MIDI Note On or Program Change messages.
- LFO & DualLFO : These modules now have automatic, sample-accurate tempo tracking for all beat-based frequency modes.
- LFO & DualLFO : 'Period' values for musically-based units (1/16, beat, bar) are now always quantized to integer values when using the slider, but you can still enter fractional values with the number box.
- LFO & DualLFO : There is a new 'wide mode' range setting for the LFO and DualLFO modules makes it easy to cover a very wide range of speeds with a single slider.
- Installation: There's a new 'integrated' installer script, along with preferences for whether the plugins and ReWire driver are installed.
- There is now a 'Check for Updates' menu option.
- Tooltips : Most modules & UI controls now have tooltips.
- Transport: There is now a dedicated Record button on the transport.
- 'Double Seq' : All sequencers now have a single button that can be used to double the length of a sequence and 'copy out' the sequencer steps at the same time.
- Better handling of MIDI devices as they are added and removed.
- Numerology AU & VST: Spacebar events are now passed to the host.
- Documentation and the README.txt file can now be accessed via a 'Doc' menu.
Last edited by jim; 11-12-2014 at 06:12 PM.