Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Eurorack Hardware > Vector Sequencer : News

Old 07-12-2019, 05:38 AM

Default Setting up Vector in a modular/computer system

Hi all

I'm struggling to figure out a nice workflow with my Vector. Right now I have a skiff containing the vector and a Expert Sleepers ES8, as well as a 0-Coast and some hardware synths. I'd like to use the Vector to sequence everything.

I've currently got Silent Way's 'sync' plugin connected to some outputs of the ES8, running into the 'run' and 'clock' on the Vector. I get nice, tight, sync from this, but when I record in Ableton the tracks are around 42ms(!) off the grid.

To combat this, I have to offset any software synths in ableton by 42ms. This feels kinda backwards.

I'm wondering if this setup is back-to-front. Should I aim for the vector to clock everything else?

Any tips appreciated, I'm tearing my hair out!
Old 07-12-2019, 04:15 PM

I'm no expert. But from what I learned when I had issues like this in the past, is that DAW/software generally don't provide the most stable clocks. There are hardware solutions to this that can correct the drift, though from what I remember they were pretty expensive. It wouldn't hurt to try and slave Ableton to the Vector instead and try it that way.

But maybe someone else can chime in who has a bit more knowledge of such things.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Numerologist

You can use the 'Offset' parameter in the Sync plugin to adjust latency. See the Expert Sleepers forum for more advice. http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35
Old 07-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Check the audio buffer size in Ableton. You will *always* get some latency (i.e. a short delay) when using an audio interface. With the ES8 you will get a bit of delay on the output side -- even for 'just sync', and around the same amount on the input side. You can reduce this by reducing the audio buffer size. The trade-off is that once you get to buffers around 128ms or below, it affects the audio performance of your computer -- this is a big YMMV area. As Cliff mentions, there's nothing odd about using Ableton's (really handy) latency adjustment feature, this is why it is there.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-19-2019, 06:11 AM

Default Vector CCs 1,2,3 mapping to ableton

Hey, if not too unrelated has anyone come up with a simple direct method to map the three CC value output lanes (per part on the Vector seq) to parameters or macros in Ableton? I couldn't find elsewhere on the forum so thought this might be the spot.... thanks!
Old 07-31-2019, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsythian View Post
Hey, if not too unrelated has anyone come up with a simple direct method to map the three CC value output lanes (per part on the Vector seq) to parameters or macros in Ableton? I couldn't find elsewhere on the forum so thought this might be the spot.... thanks!
I haven't tried that option yet, so no immediate suggestions. I suppose for a MIDI Learn approach (and I'm improvising here, don't have a test setup handy): Set the 3 CCs to values that don't conflict with other stuff -- CCs 16 - 19 are good picks, then turn on Learn mode in Ableton. Then program just 1 or 2 values on 1 CC lane and run that until it gets learned. Then un-program those steps and then repeat for the other 2 lanes.

Let me know how that goes -- I could see adding a 'send this CC' shortcut for making it easier to setup...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-03-2019, 04:53 PM

Smile

Hi Jim,
Thanks!... i didn't realize Ableton has a learn function. I'll give that a try.
Alternatively I found a workaround using a usb midi device that uses fixed CC addresses for it's midi modulation outputs (in this case i'm using the four mod wheels on an Op-z). Once the target parameters are linked in LIVE you can then set up the CC step sequences in Vector parts to match.
One idea comes to mind if not too crazy to implement... could be sweet to copy over the 'glide' type feature from the Pitch lanes within those CC lanes for a bit of slew on the modulation onset/release...
Old 08-03-2019, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsythian View Post
One idea comes to mind if not too crazy to implement... could be sweet to copy over the 'glide' type feature from the Pitch lanes within those CC lanes for a bit of slew on the modulation onset/release...
Interesting... Or perhaps even have a ramp/lfo function that could generate to CC...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-06-2019, 05:57 AM

cc LFO's
Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndington View Post
Hi all

I'm struggling to figure out a nice workflow with my Vector. Right now I have a skiff containing the vector and a Expert Sleepers ES8, as well as a 0-Coast and some hardware synths. I'd like to use the Vector to sequence everything.

I've currently got Silent Way's 'sync' plugin connected to some outputs of the ES8, running into the 'run' and 'clock' on the Vector. I get nice, tight, sync from this, but when I record in Ableton the tracks are around 42ms(!) off the grid.

To combat this, I have to offset any software synths in ableton by 42ms. This feels kinda backwards.

I'm wondering if this setup is back-to-front. Should I aim for the vector to clock everything else?

Any tips appreciated, I'm tearing my hair out!
Hi Houndington. I have done HEAPS of testing with SW SYNC and the vector. Definitely the offset is a feature you can feel comfortable using and helps get rock solid timing between your DAW and Euro. You may also find that when you sync different euro clock ins you might require a different offset. If so, just make more than one VST track in your DAW and configure SW SYNC appropriately on each track, name them for the clock destination and you are good to go.