Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Eurorack Hardware > Vector Sequencer

Old 03-05-2019, 12:19 PM

Default Reset Sync

Hi Jim, still trying to work through all the greatness of this dream sequencer come true. Thanks.

One question regarding Sync. The manual states to use a " ` " mode for CR1 or Cr1 sync modes to reset on the next tick. I fail to understand what that means.

In my case another sequencer is sending a reset when it stops, after starting the Vector will move to step two. I am thinking above setting might help....

On the hardware panel there are two shifted functions for prev and next which say reset and sync. They do nothing on my sequencer.

Any help appreciated.
Alex
Old 03-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Hi Alex,

The "reset on next tick" didn't make it into the firmware yet, ditto for Shift+Reset and Shift+Sync. I am working on several updates to the "CR" sync modes. In particular, I plan to switch to a 1/16th note clock rate (which is more common, and should avoid some confusion). I also want to also to allow for flexible handling of reset -- i.e. the first reset after start would be a hard reset (reset all sequences and the transport clock), but then it would be optional (you specify which parts always reset). Shift+Reset would also be a hard reset.

Regarding the ongoing debate of how to handle timing variation between reset and clock signals, I'm using Chris Meyer's article on Learning Modular as a reference: https://learningmodular.com/?s=sequencer+clock.

A question I have for you is: What is your source for clock and reset? After some discussion w/ Chris, I am leaning towards the "Method 1" approach, what I call the 'early reset' model, though I may still end up supporting both Method 1 and Method 2.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-06-2019, 02:24 PM

Hi Jim,

I am following the same article, just without the PNW. I am trying to sync to my Erica Synths Drum Sequencer which should be the master. I have posted on Muffwiggler the same problem (in the Vector thread) who had proposed to use a one trigger for clock and an accent for run. I have tried this and it does work, however it still is not stable. And it does not reset to step one when I stop.

The method described in learning modular also does not work. I have used the 2HP logic module as recommended which spits out the clock from the DS and the Reset from Trigger 16 (which is a specific setting on the DS). That works to some extent, depending on settings for clock divisions. However it then resets at stop (which is what the DS does) and not for example every 16 steps or every bar as in the referenced example with PNW. With the next start of the clock the Vector will start but moves to step two as the first step. Also when speed changes it becomes very wonky. At the moment I have the feeling the Vector is only stable as a master.

Next I will try the example with PNW and thereafter also with the new Shakmat Clock O'Pawn. Maybe that will be more stable. By the way, I also commented the procedure in the LearningModular blog, as according to the OD forum, PNW also has 5 microsecond (yes micro not milli) gaps between firing the 8 gates. However in a wonky sequence. So maybe the logic module is not needed after all. I will continue to experiment. Just would have hoped sync is already more stable on the Vector.

It is getting increasingly difficult to stay synced with so many options around. Especially when you have many sequencers like myself. I was hoping that the drum sequencer could be the master because it fits my workflow and the buttons are just made for hitting Start. It is good to hear that you are working on an update. reading (in this forum) the issues with the deleted config files making the Vector sync but then out of calibration made me nervous. I hope this gets sorted out with an update. I did not dare to touch my config files.

Keep in touch if you want to know more about my progress or if you would like me to do some testing. I have all the modules you can think of. Well, nearly.

Regards,
Alex
Old 03-15-2019, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Hi Alex,

Send an email to jim (at) five12 (dot) com, I will have a beta build for you to test next week...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Hi Jim, I hope you got my mail?

Regards,
Alex
Old 03-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aze View Post
Hi Jim, I hope you got my mail?

Regards,
Alex
Yes! .... just sent a reply out this morning.

Cheers,
Jim