Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > File Exchange > Projects

Old 11-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Numerologist

Default Wiard Noisering

Thought some of you might enjoy this... A Grant Richter/Wiard "Noise Ring"-inspired sequencer stack in Numerology 3 (pretty sure you need PRO PR1 Build 12.5 or higher to run the project.) More info see: http://www.wiard.com/1200/NR/1210.html

Here's a test recording on soundcloud... I let it run on it's own for a minute, then adjust CHANCE & CHANGE. http://soundcloud.com/baltimoroder/n...isering-test-1

HOW TO USE:
----------------
Hit play. The Noise Ring will generate random, but _recurring_ pitch motifs over the Gate Seq you specify.

- "Gate Seq" sets the gate sequence. Nothing funny happening here.

- Increasing "CHANGE" makes the sequence more un-stable. Decreasing the fader decreases entropy. At "CHANGE" = 0, the sequence effectively STARTS LOOPING indefinitely.

- Increasing "CHANCE +/-" tends to throw more 1's at the shift register. Decreasing the fader increases the 0's. Too much in either direction, the sequence locks into a single note. Think of this as a rough pitch "guide"; e.g. if the sequence is only playing low notes, bump this up.

- The "CLOCK" does what it says. In the original design, increasing the Ext Rate knob drove entropy into the clock speed. I left this off to make it more useful. Easy enough to wire up if you feel like it.

- "RING X-FADE" fades between n+1 and 2^n outputs. At the lowest setting, you'll only hear a note or two. All the way up is fully 2^n. Since notes are binary, this acts to limit the range of possible notes. The original module has 2 separate outputs.

- "DELAY" simple wet/dry delay.

- "MEMORY SWITCHES" turn individual memory bits on/off. Notes get swapped or reduced out entirely. If CHANGE is set to 0, these are good for generating _consistent_ sequence variations, otherwise it's hard to hear what they are doing. MSB-128 has the greatest effect. Original module defintely did not have this feature.

TIPS:
----------------
- Freeze a sequence by turning the "CHANGE" fader all the way down. While frozen, you can mess with the "RING X-FADE" and Memory Switches to get maximum variations on the original 8-bit data. Or sequence these parameters separately.

- Be careful of too much difference between CHANGE & CHANCE. I've found for maximum "musicality", they prefer to be offset from each other around .3. CHANGE seems to be a bit more forgiving with it's setting but sometimes regardless of what you do the sequence will go to sleep and sound like it's stuck, moving both knobs or stop/start usually clears it.

DEEPER:
----------------
In the original design, white noise is run through 2 different comparators. They generate two (inter-related) streams of 1's and 0's. These two streams drive a Shift Register; one fills it with data (CHANCE), the other stream controls whether entering data is new or "recycled" (CHANGE). The data in the register is 8-bit memory which is then converted to generate pitch information at a rate set by the CLOCK. The outputs n+1 and 2^n are both generated (pretty sure I did this right...)

Attached Files
File Type: zip NoiseRing.nmp.zip (35.2 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by baltimoroder; 11-04-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:09 AM

thanks baltimoroder for this project, for sure i'll dig it deep.
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 11-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Just wanted to say that this looks (and sounds) totally awesome, but I'm still in "tweak AU timing" land so I'll have to wait a bit before I dig into it...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-06-2010, 11:38 AM

baltimorodor,
Thanks for posting this. I have been having a great time trying it out especially after I replaced the DLS synth with u-he Bazille. Good work!
Cheers,
Scott
Old 11-06-2010, 02:11 PM

this is really fun. thanks so much for posting!
Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 PM

In reading back through your original post the thought struck me that this resembles a sophisticated version of a sample-and-hold circuit. Would this be accurate?
Cheers,
Scott
Old 11-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Numerologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlapin View Post
In reading back through your original post the thought struck me that this resembles a sophisticated version of a sample-and-hold circuit. Would this be accurate?
Cheers,
Scott
Ya, you could say that. E.g. the "brains" of the design is the Shift Register, which itself is just a multi-output Sample & Hold circuit.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. I feel like such a noob sometimes with all this stuff but maybe there is hope for me yet!
Cheers,
Scott