Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Miscellaneous > Forum Requests

Old 09-15-2011, 11:30 PM

Default The forum needs ordering.

This being one of the best forums as far as content and a responsive developer. Great helpful users, and a general good tone. I think there's few things about the forum here, and forums in general that have room for inprovement.

A quick brainstorming list.

The topics of dicussion here is perhaps too detailed into various sub headings..

For example, when I have a need for an answer on a technical problem I could ask on the

General Questions

Feature Requests

Tips and Tricks

one of the subheadings for:

Integration

Hardware

Controllers

Music

It may seem at first glance that it is a great help to have this ordered this way..

But on the other hand it has a tendency to bury information.

Why? Reasons, examples, thoughts

When I post my music made with Numerology, I like to detail my setup what I used, some of the techniques or AU's. I admit this has a double motive and purpose.. I figure it is a way to pay back not just using the Forum to promote my music, but to show off what Numerology can do, and how to do it.. Then of course it's motivation to have a place to show the results of your work, to people who have a clue as to what it takes to develop .. The point of all this is the heading Music can contain lots of information that could be cateogorized under "Tips and Tricks"

The "Feature request" sub forum is also another good example where dicussions about Features contain work around concepts and Feature explanations that the OP's had not known about. These bits of information start to move over from "Feature request" and would be great if they ended up under for example Tips and Tricks, or Integration.

I think maybe a page where there is some forum guidlines where some points as to how to improve the forum from both the Adminstrator and the user side..

Baring that maybe reducing the number of topics.

I almost always pause before posting because I don't know where exactly I should place my post..

I'll continue this thread with a few other points..

Anyone have any ideas about forum Order?

Wade
Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Numerologist

Nice idea Wade - I realised whilst contemplating it that I have never used the tagging feature in the forum. It seems possible that one way to make the forum function better as a searchable resource could be for someone to systematically add relevant macro tags to existing threads. As I see it it would not be necessary to alter any existing tags as the feature is currently hardly utilised at all and any systematic tagging would result in the new macro tags having a very prominent place in the tag cloud.

To demonstrate I just took the liberty of adding a "tips & tricks" tag and a "your music" tag to a couple of your most recent musical works(let me know if you want the tags removed) and now if you look at the tag cloud "tips and tricks" is one of the big ones (and I'm sure "your music" will be there in a minute as well).

Anyway what do you reckon? I'm happy to do some work on this if it would be useful(general help I mean - not just implementing my own suggestions).
Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Soldiers View Post
Nice idea Wade - I realised whilst contemplating it that I have never used the tagging feature in the forum. It seems possible that one way to make the forum function better as a searchable resource could be for someone to systematically add relevant macro tags to existing threads. As I see it it would not be necessary to alter any existing tags as the feature is currently hardly utilised at all and any systematic tagging would result in the new macro tags having a very prominent place in the tag cloud.

To demonstrate I just took the liberty of adding a "tips & tricks" tag and a "your music" tag to a couple of your most recent musical works(let me know if you want the tags removed) and now if you look at the tag cloud "tips and tricks" is one of the big ones (and I'm sure "your music" will be there in a minute as well).

Anyway what do you reckon? I'm happy to do some work on this if it would be useful(general help I mean - not just implementing my own suggestions).
Ah that's really the way to do it I guess, make a lot of tags on the existing information where it lies..

It's great for finding relevant bits of information for sure. And we should all get into the habit of tagging our posts as we make them, or as you did taking other's posts when you find interesting meaty posts. For your own sake so you can find it, but also so everyone else can find it to, and perhaps carry on the dicussion..

CARRY ON THE DISCUSSING!!

What''z ya say I'm hard of hearing??? Disgusting? Disgusted with what?

I said its about the matter!

What's the matter?! Speak up I can't ear yar..

The matter is modular sequencing ya fooool!!!

Anyway sorry for the Marx brothers took over..

What I find is that posts, and threads on the internet often stop seemingly in mid sentence.. It's full of loose ends. So just tagging subjects is just a first step in what I envisioned as a type Encylopedia of Sound design, and Modular sequencing , Modular synthesis in the Numerology arena..

So the tips and tricks things I'm already starting to gather can be seen as a beginning but my tips are still rough, I'm no super pro, yet so some of my ideas can be misleading or even dead wrong so they need some checking and an a okay from another forum user that is more authoritive than my self...

That all for now on this subject.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:45 PM

I agree, there is a lot of "hidden"* information in the forum.

Interesting idea about using tags. Within OS X I attempted to use metadata to sort my samples as opposed to folders, as per this article: http://lifehacker.com/169971/metadat...-filing-system , but I never found it intuitive enough to stick with and you sort of have to go all or nothing.

With a forum though, you have the advantage that anyone can work on collating information, even as they are searching through it!

The forum as is might need some re-tooling to function more smoothly for tagging and that would take time away from Numerology development. On the other hand, if this info could then be either be more easily disseminated to the end user or integrated into the manual it could have an overall positive effect on time spent answering questions as well as increase the appeal of the program in general. The manual is great, but who doesn't like examples? We, the users, can always think of more creative ways to break and misunderstand things!

Is it a two tag limit per thread or can a user only add two tags? If possible, pre-made point and click tags rather than typing would be ideal so as not to end up with minor variations and just to make it feel less like work.

Here's a thought, what if a robo-searcher went through tagged posts and dumped them into a WIKI? If there is indeed a two tag limit, one tag could be the general topic and the other could be the post number(s) of interest. From there the info could be edited/tagged further. If a hyper link back to the original thread was included other users could add context if need be or see if there is other useful information.

When I browse the form (sometimes w/o access to Numerology, like now) I am always dragging text onto textedit (which is kind of a pain because the font is white!) or I use the print to pdf function. When I'm searching for a solution I always come across more interesting/useful information that I want for later. Then I move the documents into some very general folders. Point being, I have to write a lot of this stuff down to remember anyway.

Although, honestly, I can't say for sure that I would be compelled to edit a WIKI. Maybe it's wishful thinking that other people would feel the same, but I can imagine spending some time when a question of mine is answered as a "thank you" gesture. I also recognize that if I help others get information more quickly, they will have more time to develop intriguing creations and problem solving techniques, which if they then share will be beneficial to me, as well.

I feel like even a loosely sorted lazy info dump would be useful, as it would still be more refined than the forum. As is, the forum already has an impressively high signal to noise ratio.

Maybe, the first step would be to WIKI-ize the manual and then allow linkbacks to the forum in "Foot notes" and/or "Trouble-shooting" areas per topic? I'm not a fan of exessive intertext hyperlinks.

I think sorting data is the problem of the information age, but maybe it's just because I'm so scattered. It's a toughie.

*Sometimes, I enjoy a treasure hunt!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 AM

Default With out cohearance in the data stream we are lost all lost!

We need to improve the quality of our user experience. This is the only way that Numerology can grow and survive in a market with increasing competition. So working on improving accessabilty of the features and describing the qualities of our tools adds value and sells it better, shuts up the complainers helps the developer find where the relavant areas for improvemnet and bug fixes are.

From a user point of view the actual writing of texts about the tools you use and the creative process is a valuable learning experience. Often it reveals weak spots in your knowledge, and even better weak spots in your communication and reasoning skills.

As for myself living in Denmark after growing up in Canada makes me put a high value on my english language writing skills. The Danes speak okay english. But I speak danish with the danes so I don't get much practice with english at all here.

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-19-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Administrator

I agree that some re-org is in order, and this fits nicely with the idea of incorporating some WIKI elements. My initial thoughts are along the lines of:

News -- same as before

General Questions -- same as before : a catch-all for support questions

Feature Requests -- same as before

Bug Reporting -- this sub-forum will remain locked, but will point users to N3.1's built-in reporting features, as well as the main support email address.

The Techniques & Third Party sub-forms should probably be combined, and there should probably be two sections -- either specific sub-forums, or groups of forums, one that is totally free-form, then another that is specifically moderated and organized as a Wiki. -- of course, that would depend on volunteers to help moderate it...

File Exchange I would probably leave as is -- I have some ideas on a re-org here, but don't want to pursue it at this time....

Music should stay, but some parts of it (reading, musicians & composers) should be moved to a Wiki area.

Cheers,
Jim