Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Default Numerology 2.1 beta 4

Ok folks, here's the new build with most of the new ReWire goodies. Be sure to read the release notes for all the details!

http://www.five12.com/Numerology-2.1b4.dmg

One detail that didn't make the release notes: If you click on an AU edit window in ReWire mode, and it doesn't come to the front, click on some other window in the ReWire host, then on the body of the AU window (not the title bar), that should bring it up.

Numerology 2.1b4 Release Notes:

As mentioned on the forum, this is a new development branch of Numerology that offers much improved AudioUnit support when running in ReWire mode. Because of the unusual nature of the primary feature, which is the ability to open AU edit windows in the ReWire host app, I am taking a very cautious approch to introducing this feature. I have already made several test releases with a small group of testers, and am now ready to release this new build to a larger group.

This code base represents a significant internal rewite of AU initialization, AU preset handling and AU edit window management. The very nice thing about it is that the code (and behavior) is now almost identical whether running in ReWire mode or standalone. This will improve both long-term reliability and maintainability. However, due to the extensive nature of the changes, you may very likely encounter some weird or unexpected behavior. Please take the time to report these issues so I can fix them. Also, if you can, take the time to report what does work, such as what AU's you have tested, which hosts, etc. Again, what this build does is a bit unorthodox. There is really no way that Apple or anyone else can tell us that this approach will be sound. The only way to tell if it is reliable enough to keep around is to test it under a wide range of conditions, with as many AU's as we can find.

A few more notes:

- Some features that did not make this release are an upgrade in the number of output channels, and various CPU optimizations.

- Support for linking AU Presets with Numerology stack presets will probably be restored after 2.1 is released. It will be an optional setting for those AU's that can load AU presets on the render thread without causing glitches.

- Support for audio input when running in ReWire mode will hopefully also be implemented. It *should* work, but I have not verified that yet.

Rewire Updates:

- AudioUnit hosting fully supported, including edit windows.

- You can now reliably quit and restart Numerology while the host app is running.

Known Issues:

- When running in ReWire mode, AU edit windows don't open in Numerology, they open in the ReWire host app. You have to switch to that app to work with them. I'm working on a way to make that switch automatic.

- You may have occasional CPU dropouts due to debug messages, including complaints from Logic about CPU overload. Don't be to concered, these will be removed soon enough. There are lots of debug messages in the current build so I can better track what is going on internally. If you want to minimize them, turn Logging to Off in Numerology's preferences. However, that will also reduce the usefulness of the log files.

- In Logic, the Numerology UI may take several seconds to 'setup' properly.

- Resetting the Numerology transport does not properly reset the AU host's transport.

Things to Avoid:

- Setting the host's buffer size to anything other than: 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 or 1024 samples

- Having Numerology's audio prefs set to use Soundflower

Testing:

If you are interested in doing some directed testing, here are some things to check:

- Add some AU plugins
- Open their Edit windows, make sure the edit window UI responds properly to user events.
- If the AU can open dialog boxes or menus, also try working with them.
- Save an AU User preset to a file
- Load an AU User preset from a file
- If the AU has factory presets, load one (the AUMatrixReverb has factory presets)
- If the AU has its own preset browser, use it to change presets. The AU module in Numerology should change its preset name to match.
- Save a file with AU's, reload to verify all AU sounds are 'correct'
- load existing projects and make sure their AU sounds load correctly.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:22 AM

If you are as thick as I am and don't choose to update the Numerology Rewire driver during the installation process, you'll wonder why all the nice new features aren't available. Easily fixed by running the installer a second time and choosing the right options!

Top stuff Jim, your continued development efforts are much appreciated

Peace,
Andy.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Yup -- it is important to install the new ReWire driver. Once this is all settled, I'll probably have it installed by default...

FYI: There seems to be a problem when loading older files, related to migrating AU preset data forward, will be looking into that tomorrow.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-23-2009, 02:36 AM

Default Version numbering?

Just one question: which versionnumber is higher: "2.1RC3" or "2.1beta4" ?

I would expect, that RC3 ist higher, but the thread in the forum for beta 4 ist newer?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Beta 4 is newer, but RC3 is more reliable. After I discovered the "au edit windows in rewire" trick, I decided to incorporate it into the 2.1 release cycle, which meant going back into a new series of beta releases.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 AM

BUG 2,1 beta 4

Parameter mdulation for Audio Units is not working , it's working only for Num modules
Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 PM

After installing the new (beta 4) rewire driver, I noticed the Logic transport would stop after looping around the cycle point several times, even in projects where I am not using Numerology in rewire mode. It's not stopping after a consistent number of loops, but usually it's about 4 or 5 loops, where the Logic cycle point set to loop at the end of the 16th bar.

By taking NumerologyReWireDevice.plugin out of the rewire folder, the problem goes away. Putting the file back, the problem appears again.

I'm using Logic 8.0.2 on 10.5.6. Let me know if you need any more info. If this is a known issue, no problem, I'll wait for the update

Peace,
Andy.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscencko View Post
BUG 2,1 beta 4

Parameter mdulation for Audio Units is not working , it's working only for Num modules
Yup, I know. Fixed for beta 5, out very soon...

Jim
Old 05-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenPunkHippy View Post
After installing the new (beta 4) rewire driver, I noticed the Logic transport would stop after looping around the cycle point several times, even in projects where I am not using Numerology in rewire mode. It's not stopping after a consistent number of loops, but usually it's about 4 or 5 loops, where the Logic cycle point set to loop at the end of the 16th bar
This I have not seen yet, will run some tests.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenPunkHippy View Post
After installing the new (beta 4) rewire driver, I noticed the Logic transport would stop after looping around the cycle point several times, even in projects where I am not using Numerology in rewire mode. It's not stopping after a consistent number of loops, but usually it's about 4 or 5 loops, where the Logic cycle point set to loop at the end of the 16th bar.
I haven't been able to duplicate this, but then there have been a lot of code changes since beta 4. If this happens in beta 5 (out shortly), definitely let me know.

Jim