Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 05-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Default Updates: ReWire, Propellerhead's 'Record', etc...

As mentioned by aluminum on another thread (http://five12.net/showthread.php?p=1557) (thanks!), Numerology got some nice comments over at CDM yesterday:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/0...yle/#more-5857

"Record" is a new product from Propellerheads that focuses on user-friendly multi-track recording and mixing. According to the article at CDM, it supports running as a rewire client. Numerology currently supports running as a ReWire client also, and in order to better support integration options with Reason, Record and Ableton Live, I plan to add support for running it as a ReWire host as well. I can't say exactly when, but it will be "relatively soon". FYI: acting as a ReWire host is *much* easier than being a client...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 PM

Default Updates: ReWire, Propellerhead's 'Record', etc...

That's awesome! I'm so excited to set up en awesome Rewire slave synth
rack in Mainstage.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM, jim <> wrote:

Quote:
> "Record" is a new product from Propellerheads that focuses on user-friendly multi-track recording and mixing. *According to the article at CDM, it supports running as a rewire client. *Numerology currently supports running as a ReWire client also, and in order to better support integration options with Reason, Record and Ableton Live, I plan to add support for running it as a ReWire host as well. *I can't say exactly when, but it will be "relatively soon". *FYI: acting as a ReWire host is *much* easier than being a client...
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 05-20-2009, 08:03 AM

Default The problem with Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
"Record" is a new product from Propellerheads that focuses on user-friendly multi-track recording and mixing. According to the article at CDM, it supports running as a rewire client. Numerology currently supports running as a ReWire client also, and in order to better support integration options with Reason, Record and Ableton Live, I plan to add support for running it as a ReWire host as well. I can't say exactly when, but it will be "relatively soon". FYI: acting as a ReWire host is *much* easier than being a client...
At first I was quite excited about the Record announcement, as it seemed like the perfect companion to Numerology. Since so much of my musical exploration is pattern-based, I could picture using Record as my mixing desk and, well, recorder while Numerology and my hardware sequencers tickle the "keys" of my synths. I find Logic to just be too big and bloated for the task, and I can't say that I'm thrilled with the audio quality of Ableton (I own and use each). So, this new duo should be perfect, right?

Well I thought so until I realized that Record won't support MIDI out. It has a MIDI editor, but it can only target Reason devices. And no "MIDI Out" device in the rack. On the surface this wouldn't appear to be an issue, as Numerology is the "MIDI sequencer" (in fact, that was Peter Kirn of CDM's position). But what happens when I want to lay down some keyboard lines, and record them to MIDI instead of audio so that I have the greatest flexibility prior to finalizing a track (which could be months!)? The answer from the Propellerhead fans is to slave the whole thing to "my favorite DAW" because playing back MIDI to external devices isn't within the "concept" of Record. So, I'm back to square one.

I'm not at all suggesting that Numerology should adopt traditional MIDI sequencing capabilities. I think that would be a significant mistake. But it is disappointing to me that I'm stuck with using a full DAW for mixing and editing, when Propellerhead came *that* close with Record. Maybe I should look at Reaper.

Gordon