Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Hardware Synths & Effects

Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
What did you get?

Jim
Hi Jim!

I am a long time pentax user so I upgraded my 3 1/2 year old K200D to a K5 Pentaxes present top model (best lowlight APS-C in class, very much improved dynamic range, fps, and bought a DA 21 mm ltd lens for landscape and street( small blindingly sharp), a polariser, afew ND filters so I can work with Daytime blur effects Fill flashDof effects, a few fast SD cards, camera bags. So now I'm very close to having the semi pro photography setup that I had been working on getting sorted out over 4 or 5 years ago.. I have about 8 lenses some up to 35 years old others newly released, All prime except one kit zoom. I have the software side sorted out using Capture One pro Raw developement, and Media Pro which is one of the fastest photo management programs for working with large libraries..I'm going to use Photoshop elements for more detailed editing..

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 06-27-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
Hi Jim!

I am a long time pentax user so I upgraded my 3 1/2 year old K200D to a K5 Pentaxes present top model (best lowlight APS-C in class, very much improved dynamic range, fps, and bought a DA 21 mm ltd lens for landscape and street( small blindingly sharp), a polariser, afew ND filters so I can work with Daytime blur effects Fill flashDof effects, a few fast SD cards, camera bags. So now I'm very close to having the semi pro photography setup that I had been working on getting sorted out over 4 or 5 years ago.. I have about 8 lenses some up to 35 years old others newly released, All prime except one kit zoom. I have the software side sorted out using Capture One pro Raw developement, and Media Pro which is one of the fastest photo management programs for working with large libraries..I'm going to use Photoshop elements for more detailed editing..

Regards

Wade

Sounds pretty nice -- esp. all those prime lenses. I recently got a GH-2, specifically to hack for high bitrate video. Picking lenses for it is tricky, but I got a 45mm 1.8 Olympus that is quite nice.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Who want's or needs this Retina Macbook?
I ordered one a couple days ago. While the screen is quite nice, the things I'm really after are the fast SSD and 16 GB RAM.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-01-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Sounds pretty nice -- esp. all those prime lenses. I recently got a GH-2, specifically to hack for high bitrate video. Picking lenses for it is tricky, but I got a 45mm 1.8 Olympus that is quite nice.

Cheers,
Jim
The Panosonic video seems quite capable, high bitrate video is not something I too knowledgeable about.Interesting..

I've got quite adequate video on the K5 the great thing is now all my lenses all become video lenses!

Last edited by jim; 07-02-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spellcheck...
Old 07-01-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I ordered one a couple days ago. While the screen is quite nice, the things I'm really after are the fast SSD and 16 GB RAM.

Cheers,
Jim
The fast SSD and the 16 GB ram are definitely interesting for audio use, but did you go for the 2.6 Ghz model? It's quite a price premium over the base retina model but I feel that added speed and higher capacity SSD are important upgrades..

Wade
Old 07-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The Panosonic video seems quite capable, high bitrate video is not something I too knowledgeable about.Interesting..
I seem to have some sort of addiction to the exact sort of scenes that make lower bitrate codecs choke: water shots, fast-moving leaves, low light etc... Things are moving very fast now in camera-land --- much like audio when computerization started to really take hold (multi-channel audio interfaces, DAW's, plugins, etc...)

Quote:
I've got quite adequate video on the K5 the great thing is now all my lenses all become video lenses!
Indeed -- hugely liberating...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The fast SSD and the 16 GB ram are definitely interesting for audio use, but did you go for the 2.6 Ghz model? It's quite a price premium over the base retina model but I feel that added speed and higher capacity SSD are important upgrades..
I did -- I'll be on it almost every day for 3-4 years, so might as well splurge... And it isn't actually that bad a deal when you compare it with the 'regular' MBP with a 512GB SSD.

Jim
Old 07-03-2012, 12:55 AM

I'm going to build up a money buffer for the next few months and then will likely get the 2.6 Ghz model with the 16 Gb upgrade.

I'm still planning on getting a mini for expanding the voice count. So it will be interesting what will be on offer as far as Hard drive, ports and processor speed. The CPU heavy plugs that I use are also being optimized to more CPU effiecient, also my own workflow and understanding of the concept of less is more in arrangement may help reduce my "need" for "speed".