Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 11-18-2019, 03:35 AM

Default windows version?

lol. i know the answer.

just looking at my options down the road and not really excited about an apple laptop that is 40% glue and costs $4000.

i'll probably just buy used older apple machines.. until they make that impossible somehow.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:51 PM

Used isn't a bad way to go. My son picked up a 2016 mbp on ebay for $1100 last month, 2.9 quad w 16gb, 512ssd, 4gb vram, thunderbolt3, and AC wifi (looks like new, too) - already up on Catalina. Couldn't believe it. The geekbench score is close enough to mine to make me feel dumb...

FWIW Numerology not being on Windows is one of the main reasons I haven't given more consideration to a platform change.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreeves View Post
Used isn't a bad way to go. My son picked up a 2016 mbp on ebay for $1100 last month, 2.9 quad w 16gb, 512ssd, 4gb vram, thunderbolt3, and AC wifi (looks like new, too) - already up on Catalina. Couldn't believe it. The geekbench score is close enough to mine to make me feel dumb...

FWIW Numerology not being on Windows is one of the main reasons I haven't given more consideration to a platform change.
yeah.. i keep tabs on the used market of the macbook pros. i'm not excited about the T2 chip and its default encryption of data. makes HD recovery difficult if the thing shits the bed.. but so it goes.

my 2010 macpro is on mojave so i plan to just stick w/that as long as possible and use my 2011 laptop until it just breaks or totally boxes me out of new software updates etc. then i'll grab a used Macbook pro.

when the desktop finally goes poof i'll either build a hackintosh or a fast windows machine and just be dual platform or something. hackintoshes are getting easier to build apparently but we'll see what next iteration of catalina brings to the table. i think part of apple's plan is to make the t2 chip essential to run the OS at some point.

all speculation of course.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:07 PM

Miss my '11 mbp, GPU melted a couple years ago :|

Have a couple old 12-core towers here that I use as render nodes, longevity of those machines is impressive! Still competitive for multithread stuff.
Hoping at some point there will be a used market for the newer models...

Planning to build a Windows box in the midterm for 3d stuff due to NVIDIA Wars™. Will be prodding the audio side of things then. Interested to see how vcv/live runs on one of these new threadrippers.

That's a good point about dual-platform. Hadn't through about using the mbp w/Numerology to drive the windows box. Maybe use one of those dual-host interfaces from iConnectivity, or Dante...
hmmm
Old 02-07-2020, 04:23 PM

Been using macs for decades and have NEVER bought a new one. I always buy used. If I was going buy new those recent Mac Minis really look cool for the price.