Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 09-26-2009, 12:13 AM

Default "Learn MIDI CC" with TouchOSC

Maybe this is common knowledge, but occurred to me tonight that TouchOSC would be terrific controller for Numerology and I got some bits and pieces set up to test it. The fact that Num. allows each step/slider of a sequencer to learn a MIDI cc is what makes this work. My Axiom has only eight knobs and I've been wondering what controller out there might work for me to control multiple sliders on multiple sequencers, unipolar as well as bipolar. It's a lot of cheap fun to move the faders up and down on my iPhone and watch the gate sliders move accordingly. I forgot to eat dinner!

But my question is whether there is an easier way to assign MIDI cc to sliders than control-clicking the "Learn MIDI cc" and then touching the controller itself to assign that cc to the Num. parameter. This is especially true when setting up something like gate or velocity to TouchOSC's multifaders. It's nearly impossible to touch the correct tiny little fader when assigning, especially sixteen times. By the time I got to number eight I was about to kill myself.
This is also true when assigning the XY pads in Num. to XY pads in TouchOSC. I invariably accidentally slide the X when I want the Y and vice versa. If, say, Osculator assigns cc 12 to the X and cc 13 to the Y, is there a way to just punch in these assignments rather than relying on touching the iPhone to do so? I went around looking for a module that could do this but I don't find one. (This would also make sense for the Kaoss Pad which I find difficult to assign in any app where I can't just assign cc "12" and "13.")

I hope this makes sense.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggs View Post
Maybe this is common knowledge, but occurred to me tonight that TouchOSC would be terrific controller for Numerology and I got some bits and pieces set up to test it. The fact that Num. allows each step/slider of a sequencer to learn a MIDI cc is what makes this work. My Axiom has only eight knobs and I've been wondering what controller out there might work for me to control multiple sliders on multiple sequencers, unipolar as well as bipolar. It's a lot of cheap fun to move the faders up and down on my iPhone and watch the gate sliders move accordingly. I forgot to eat dinner!
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggs View Post
But my question is whether there is an easier way to assign MIDI cc to sliders than control-clicking the "Learn MIDI cc" and then touching the controller itself to assign that cc to the Num. parameter. This is especially true when setting up something like gate or velocity to TouchOSC's multifaders. It's nearly impossible to touch the correct tiny little fader when assigning, especially sixteen times. By the time I got to number eight I was about to kill myself.
This is also true when assigning the XY pads in Num. to XY pads in TouchOSC. I invariably accidentally slide the X when I want the Y and vice versa. If, say, Osculator assigns cc 12 to the X and cc 13 to the Y, is there a way to just punch in these assignments rather than relying on touching the iPhone to do so? I went around looking for a module that could do this but I don't find one. (This would also make sense for the Kaoss Pad which I find difficult to assign in any app where I can't just assign cc "12" and "13.")

I hope this makes sense.
Yes, it makes sense, and (unfortunately) no, there is no easier way to setup the remote control yet other than the learn method -- yet. Also, there is a bug in 2.1 such that the learned commands are not saved properly on module import. I will fix that for 2.2. After 2.2, there will be some very interesting new controller options. So while you have definitely found the path, it will be a little while yet before that becomes a setup that is easy to live with.

Jim
Old 09-26-2009, 01:02 PM

Okay well that lessens my enthusiasm slightly, but only just enough to get back to Real Life. I'll take the time to learn this OSC stuff thoroughly, and then when it's up and running in Numerology I'll know what I'm doing.

thanks Jim
Old 10-14-2009, 06:08 PM

MrBiggs: if you hadn't seen it yet, the TouchOSC dev also provides a nice tool to design your own layouts for it on his website. So with a little effort you could make the controls just as big or small as you want them to be without getting too tricky to set up for your particular fingertip size.

And indeed, bingo!!

Hey, and give the accelerometer a try. Even more fun!
Old 11-15-2009, 12:58 AM

just got hold of touchosc and ran into the same x-y problem as mr.biggs.

In case anyone else travels the same path the easy solution is to "solo" (Routings > Solo) the relevant controller in OSCulator - it makes setting up x-y's a breeze as you get output from one axis only no matter how wayward you finger slides are.

cheers
Paul
Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 PM

Some sort of visual feedback to indicate what param was currently in midi learn state would be a plus.

Tags
assign, osc