Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > File Exchange > Odds n Ends

Old 01-14-2013, 06:06 AM

Default What monitors do you use?

I've been using headphones for the last three years and it's time for a change. So I'm going shopping for monitors and expect to buy in May.

I'm interested in the ADAM A77x threeway near/midfield monitors.

Pricewise it lies comfortably at the bottom of my range. I would go up to 2x that price if there was some really convincing reasons for it. But after listening to them in the shop I feel that they easily fit the bill.

An additional benefit of getting these monitors is that they are also good for midfield use, which would be a boon in any demostration or teaching situation, or for a small groups of listeners. Read house concerts/cafe. Also the bass frequency goes down to 35 hz, so I would not need to get a sub, saves money and space..

So that's my thinking. Anyone else want to share their thoughts as to how to solve monitoring situation/needs?

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 01-14-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 AM

I'm about to upgrade my monitors too : mine are old, unreliable, cheap... but I know how they sound so I get good sounding mixes and production.

So I'm considering 2 options :

- PSI Audio A17M : from what I've read (unfortunately I haven't heard them yet), they're exactly what I'm looking for : accurate, brutally honest and translate fantastically. They're expensive but it would be a wise buy for me nevertheless.

- DIY or passive monitors with DIY amp based on Hypex NCore 400 amps. I've read nothing but fantastic reviews, and they're unanimously praised for their "true to the source" quality. Then I won't go the cheap route, all I want is high quality monitoring. The only downside is there is a myriad of possible driver/tweeter/combos if going DIY, and that there aren't that many passive speakers available in the 1000/1500 /pair price range.

So any suggestions is welcome too !
Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 AM

I've been using GENELEC 8030A for years and think they are super! They deliver a flat frequency response curve and don't think they color the sound. I actually have four, since a company I made DVD surround mixes for gave me two as part of a deal. Sometimes I bring one or two of them for stage monitoring if I do a concert with a band. I've even been flying with two of them in my bag but that was not wise as they are a bit heavy (that's where the good sound comes from, I'd guess... built like small tanks) and always get "taken in for extra security control" as they look suspicious on the x-scan. Bass go down to 55 Hz and I like double-check my mixes with an extra sub added just because quite often "out there" music gets played back on systems with over dimensioned bass response and as a producer you have to make sure your stuff does still works ok in such environments.
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM

Let's not forget about acoustic treatment also. The best studio monitors sound like crap in a bad room, and it won't translate well at all to others environments.

Check out GIK Acoustics, they have all the usual stuff (absorbers, diffusors etc) but it looks great too, and can be customised to your liking (provided you have the wallet for it. You can also get personal Acoustic Room advice :

http://gikacoustics.com/acoustic-advice/

Regarding those A77X's: I'll be buying them sometime next year when moving to a new house that has yet to be built (if they're not too big for the room that i don't even know the dimension of yet, otherwise i'll take some of their smaller monitors), together with all the acoustic treatment from GIK that i need.
Right now i'm also working on headphones, because of this 'transit period to a new location' that has yet to begin. Haedphones tire my ears though....

I once had the A8X's (fabulous monitors btw), and Mackie HR824's before those, but had to sell them early 2011 because of a financial dip. Not to worry though, i sold them to my best friend and soulmate Apollonius, and we're living (and making music) together in the same house in the same room(and will be living in that new place together also). So i can still access them for brutal honest representation of crappy mixes/masters and whatnot. Acoustics are ok and does it's job for now. Next house will have a dedicated place that we can call a studio at last......can't wait!

I listened to many studio monitors, from very cheap to very expensive, but stuck with ADAM because they sounded the most detailed and realistic imo. Reverb tails, transient handling, high end 'air', clicks and other glitches in audio are all very apparent when listening. They're amazing to work with, and since they're so brutally honest it doesn't take long to make anything sound right in a room with proper acoustics.

Genelecs are good also, but a bit too 'forward' sounding and i heard this strange distortion somewhere in the upper mids just like with Event Opals which bugged the hell out of me. What told the truth here, the professionally mastered music or these monitors? Or was it some strange crossover behaviour in these monitors?
Can't really tell....
PMC's also sound drop dead gorgeous (although they can get very expensive). It's like the music sounds alive on them and you're really there, although i miss the detail that ADAM's tweeters are known and loved for.
Biased towards ADAM's i am, but always keeping an open ear on the other hand for anything that i haven't heard yet.

Last edited by 33tetragammon; 01-14-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM

IsoAcoustics monitor stands have significantly improved the accuracy of my monitors too. They do wonders to any monitors, cheap or expensive. You should have a look at them too !
Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM

Thanks for all your useful and detailed replies. I've used Genelec's at the Conservatory for 3 1/2 years, and because of the material I was editeding my ears got really tired/ragged, so I doubt that I'd go the route now, but it's mostly a pyschological thing as I sure they are the cats meow!

No I'll likely just go with the a77x even though I have a small room, I will just do major acoustic treatment on it, after I've borrowed a B+K linear responce measure microphone to find out whats wrong.. Then get the research books out. I'll probably do a combo of acoustic curtains, bass absorbing membrane boxes and diffusion surfaces..

Just because speakers are bigger doesn't mean you can't listen at lower volume, and in the not to distant future I may just move to a larger studio space..

If I need to do a portable recording setup then I'd likely spring for the smaller Genelec or borrow a pair from another sound man that doesn't use his at all..

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 01-14-2013 at 05:55 PM.