Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Eurorack Hardware > Vector Sequencer : News

Old 07-31-2019, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brister13 View Post
Sorry - ignore my question on when next build is coming - hadn't seen your comment about 'coming in next few days'
I'm hoping to have it ready by the weekend -- just finished up a big production push. For the next couple weeks I'll be able to focus on the firmware/software side...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-31-2019, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Jim - I'm sending the clock and run signals out of the Vector to the clock and run inputs on Pams. So, I'm using whatever PPQN the Vector defaults to as output values (is that user definable?)
[/quote]

The default is to send 1/16th notes (4 PPQN) out the clock output, but you can change that in the Routing pages to pretty much anything. Whenever possible, I try to use DIN sync (24 PPQN), but I don't recall how PNW responds to DIN vs 1/16 note clock. Will check that shortly -- along with the MIDI issues reported above.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdoors View Post
Just to report that MIDI clock out is running at the wrong speed (about 4.5BPM fast vs a 117BPM target) here when Vector is clocked externally via RC24 or Jx MIDI.
Interesting -- on the test/fix list....

Quote:
Also, the transport doesn't seem to start when clocked from Cubase MIDI via USB-A.
Is that all the time or just sometimes?

Quote:
Finally I had a loss of both OLEDs today - I guess they wouldn’t come out of screensaver mode although the sequencer was still running. Needed a reboot to fix.
K, I'll check that also.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-31-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Thx for this response - I've also been trying various permutations. When you say you're doing same thing are you using Vector as the master clock into Pams or vice versa? Jims firmware explanation seems to assume Vector is clocking externally from Pams (or am I misunderstanding this?)

I am coming to the conclusion that its MIDI that is the problem area here. Last night I reverted to clocking everything from triggers rather than midi from the expander and, for the time I was testing, everything felt much more solid and in sync. Which is weird because I had always understood that midi clock should be more reliable and solid?
Yes I'm using the Vector as the Master. Run on Vector is set to 'Run' (to Run input on PNW), Clock output on Vector I have set to S24 (to Clock input on PNW). With that I'm getting a tight sync, though PNW readout might seem slightly out, I don't believe that's a true reading. I tested this by sending triggers from Vector and PNW to different kick drums and it sounded very tight to me.

And yeah sorry, I got confused about Jim's post, that was describing external clocking from Pam's. I tried that, but it definitely has issues at the moment.

PS. I don't know if S24 is the same as 24 PPQN? But it works for me

Last edited by SolarRainUK; 07-31-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:34 PM

Interesting. If I set PNW to 24 ppq, and slave to Vector set to S24, I get flamming between a trigger from PNW and one from Vector.

If I set PNW to 4 ppq and Vector to 16th, then the beats are perfectly on top of each other.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgro View Post
Interesting. If I set PNW to 24 ppq, and slave to Vector set to S24, I get flamming between a trigger from PNW and one from Vector.

If I set PNW to 4 ppq and Vector to 16th, then the beats are perfectly on top of each other.
Very interesting! I'll do some more tests here and re-check my results, but I did an entire track recently for YT which sounded very tight, except for when I launched a Bitbox clip which started on the off-beat. But I think that was just because I didn't set up Bitbox to sync/quantize properly.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:44 AM

So here's my findings regarding clock sync, using Vector as Master and PNW as Slave. I set up a test where I have exactly the same click sample set to channels 1,2 and 3 on my Assimil8or. I have a trigger coming from PNW, gate from Part 1 of the Vector, and also a trigger from CH1 of my NerdSeq. The NerdSeq is taking exactly the same clock signal that's going to PNW, and Nerd is set to 24PPQN. All set to trigger on exactly the same beat.

Clicks from NerdSeq and PNW are absolutely perfect, no flam at all not even slight phasing. BUT I am getting a slight flam from the Vector gate output, which I didn't expect. This makes me think there's a slight delay in the gate outputs? All gate outputs did the same (at least up to Part 3 that I tested).

Instead of using one of the gate outputs on the Vector, I used one of the trigger outputs on the expander, and set to HALF, so it output the trigger at the correct moment. Perfect sync again.

I also tried setting PNW PPQN to 4 and Vector to output at 16th's, but this made no difference for me whatsoever, I had the same results. So I put Vector back to S24 clock output and PNW to 24PPQN.

I have a short MP3 recorded if needed.

The delay is very small, and wouldn't bother me when sequencing anything but drums/percussion.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarRainUK View Post
BUT I am getting a slight flam from the Vector gate output, which I didn't expect. This makes me think there's a slight delay in the gate outputs?
There was! -- Fixed in FW 1.1.5...

Cheers,
Jim