Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Eurorack Hardware > Vector Sequencer : News

Old 07-27-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgro View Post
How do you set one trigger of PNW to "on"? I can't find that option. Is it in a newer firmware?
Just choose an output, press the button in and scroll through the divide/multiply settings until you find 'ON', it might take quite a bit of scrolling.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:11 PM

Thanks!! I must have scrolled too fast and missed it, I was able to find it by slowing down after /512
Old 07-28-2019, 08:40 AM

Default Feedback on beta software

Been using the beta firmware for a couple of days and even used it yesterday at a live event - the Colorado Modular Synth Festival. Have found a number of issues so thought i'd list them. Not 100% sure if all are bugs but will list regardless so that someone can perhaps put me right if im experiencing the expected behavior and not a bug.

1. Timing - I use the Vector as master clock. Clock out (clock & reset) to Pams New Workout for distribution of various clocks round the rig. Also midi clock out (via expander) to 1010 Bitbox. I experienced pretty significant drift. Starts off in sync but quickly drifts. Not sure if this is because of Pams inclusion in the chain or differences between midi clock and analogue clock. have to stop and start the sequencer to reset.

2. Playlists - when using a track that contains presets i don't seem to be able to mute the track. Regardless of the setting in the PL (the mute symbol or the percent symbol) a preset will play. I solved this by creating a blank preset on each of the active tracks and selected that preset that when i didn't want a sequence to play on that track. BTW - what is the percent symbol?

3. First Playlist line - after playing some or all of the playlist, as soon as i stop the sequencer, the first line of the PL changes to show 'A01' on each track that is active. This is regardless of what the line was set as originally. The changed values are shown in 'italics'. Not sure what the italics mean and why it changes. This still occurs after the project has been saved.

4. Lock ups - While building the playlist i experienced several full lock ups (requiring reboot). I don't have good data on the action i was performing which caused the lockups but i feel that they occurred when i was changing the preset values while building or playing the Playlist. Is there a way to 'soft' reboot the Vector. Its a real pain to have to reboot the hole case each time.

5. Sub-Sequencer - I think i understand the changes to the sub-sequencer. However behavior doesn't seem correct. Example: set sub-sequencer to transpose octave, set some steps as 0 so no change, then a couple of steps as -2 then, back to 0. The sequence correctly plays at original pitch then drops 2 octaves but, as it returns back to 0 it seems to play at -1 octave on the first 0 before returning to original pitch at the second 0. Is this expected behavior? If yes, how do i immediately return to original pitch without the additional -1 octave step (in this example)?

Apologies if this is too complex - just wanted to document while i remember the issues i experienced.

Jim, Very happy to do more work on this if it helps.

All that said - i put a full 30 min set together from scratch using the Vector in a couple of days. This is a really excellent sequencer and works perfectly from a workflow and intuitive use perspective. Really great work.

Thx

Last edited by brister13; 07-28-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brister13 View Post
Been using the beta firmware for a couple of days and even used it yesterday at a live event - the Colorado Modular Synth Festival.
Living on the edge! Looks like it was a great time!

Quote:
Have found a number of issues so thought i'd list them. Not 100% sure if all are bugs but will list regardless so that someone can perhaps put me right if im experiencing the expected behavior and not a bug.
Thanks for taking the time for the detailed notes — I really appreciate it.

Quote:
1. Timing - I use the Vector as master clock. Clock out (clock & reset) to Pams New Workout for distribution of various clocks round the rig. Also midi clock out (via expander) to 1010 Bitbox. I experienced pretty significant drift. Starts off in sync but quickly drifts. Not sure if this is because of Pams inclusion in the chain or differences between midi clock and analogue clock. have to stop and start the sequencer to reset.
I haven’t seen this before. Are you sending 1/16th note clock to PNW or 24PPQN? Also, how are you using MIDI Clock w/ the Bitbox?
For a beat loop, I’d assume, but want to double check…

Quote:
2. Playlists - when using a track that contains presets i don't seem to be able to mute the track. Regardless of the setting in the PL (the mute symbol or the percent symbol) a preset will play. I solved this by creating a blank preset on each of the active tracks and selected that preset that when i didn't want a sequence to play on that track. BTW - what is the percent symbol?
So it turns out that the musical symbol for ‘repeat the previous bar’ looks a lot like a percent symbol. You’re the second person to ask, so I’ll have to mull it over a bit. I want to use a symbol, and that one is perhaps the closest match, but….

There is a ‘mute’ option also for the playlist, but it triggers the lockup you mention below.

Quote:
3. First Playlist line - after playing some or all of the playlist, as soon as i stop the sequencer, the first line of the PL changes to show 'A01' on each track that is active. This is regardless of what the line was set as originally. The changed values are shown in 'italics'. Not sure what the italics mean and why it changes. This still occurs after the project has been saved.
The italicized presets are to indicate what the current preset is vs. what was assigned in the scene. Primarily it is for when the playlist is active and it is changing presets on its own, but it sounds like the Scene page is getting confused regarding presets the playlist sets and presets that the user sets.

Quote:
4. Lock ups - While building the playlist i experienced several full lock ups (requiring reboot). I don't have good data on the action i was performing which caused the lockups but i feel that they occurred when i was changing the preset values while building or playing the Playlist. Is there a way to 'soft' reboot the Vector. Its a real pain to have to reboot the hole case each time.
There’s no way to do that yet, but I have reserved the action of ‘push and hold encoder 9 button’ for that task.

Regarding the playlist lockups, I just found the issue, will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
5. Sub-Sequencer - I think i understand the changes to the sub-sequencer. However behavior doesn't seem correct. Example: set sub-sequencer to transpose octave, set some steps as 0 so no change, then a couple of steps as -2 then, back to 0. The sequence correctly plays at original pitch then drops 2 octaves but, as it returns back to 0 it seems to play at -1 octave on the first 0 before returning to original pitch at the second 0. Is this expected behavior? If yes, how do i immediately return to original pitch without the additional -1 octave step (in this example)?
This is a timing bug that I have already fixed for the next build.

Quote:
Apologies if this is too complex - just wanted to document while i remember the issues i experienced.
This is great, thanks again for writing it all out!

Quote:
Jim, Very happy to do more work on this if it helps.
Awesome — I should have a new build up in a few days.

Quote:
All that said - i put a full 30 min set together from scratch using the Vector in a couple of days. This is a really excellent sequencer and works perfectly from a workflow and intuitive use perspective. Really great work.
Thanks!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-29-2019, 10:52 AM

I haven’t seen this before. Are you sending 1/16th note clock to PNW or 24PPQN? Also, how are you using MIDI Clock w/ the Bitbox?

Jim - I'm sending the clock and run signals out of the Vector to the clock and run inputs on Pams. So, I'm using whatever PPQN the Vector defaults to as output values (is that user definable?)
I'm sending midi clock from the expander to Bitbox midi in and triggering beat loops, exactly as you guessed above.
Now that the immediate requirement of the festival is over I'm going to do a little more testing on this 'sync drift' to see if I can understand it better and reproduce it on demand. Will let you know what I find.
I know you're working on new version of the beta, any idea when next version is likely to be posted?
Thx
Old 07-29-2019, 11:02 AM

Sorry - ignore my question on when next build is coming - hadn't seen your comment about 'coming in next few days'
Old 07-30-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:

Jim - I'm sending the clock and run signals out of the Vector to the clock and run inputs on Pams. So, I'm using whatever PPQN the Vector defaults to as output values (is that user definable?)
I'm sending midi clock from the expander to Bitbox midi in and triggering beat loops, exactly as you guessed above.
Now that the immediate requirement of the festival is over I'm going to do a little more testing on this 'sync drift' to see if I can understand it better and reproduce it on demand. Will let you know what I find.
I know you're working on new version of the beta, any idea when next version is likely to be posted?
Thx
You can configure Vectors clock output. I have the same modules, with Vector into Pams and also Bitbox (though I'm sending triggers instead of MIDI), and getting excellent sync here. If you set it up exactly as Jim described in the firmware text, you should be good to go!
Old 07-30-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarRainUK View Post
You can configure Vectors clock output. I have the same modules, with Vector into Pams and also Bitbox (though I'm sending triggers instead of MIDI), and getting excellent sync here. If you set it up exactly as Jim described in the firmware text, you should be good to go!
Thx for this response - I've also been trying various permutations. When you say you're doing same thing are you using Vector as the master clock into Pams or vice versa? Jims firmware explanation seems to assume Vector is clocking externally from Pams (or am I misunderstanding this?)

I am coming to the conclusion that its MIDI that is the problem area here. Last night I reverted to clocking everything from triggers rather than midi from the expander and, for the time I was testing, everything felt much more solid and in sync. Which is weird because I had always understood that midi clock should be more reliable and solid?

Last edited by brister13; 07-30-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:53 AM

You are correct, that part was explaining about clocking Vector from PNW.

Last edited by philgro; 07-31-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:26 PM

Couple of reports from me, Jim.

Just to report that MIDI clock out is running at the wrong speed (about 4.5BPM fast vs a 117BPM target) here when Vector is clocked externally via RC24 or Jx MIDI.

Also, the transport doesn't seem to start when clocked from Cubase MIDI via USB-A.

Finally I had a loss of both OLEDs today - I guess they wouldn’t come out of screensaver mode although the sequencer was still running. Needed a reboot to fix.

John

Last edited by blackdoors; 07-30-2019 at 06:27 PM.