Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 11-02-2015, 12:04 PM

Default Push 2

a heads up ... looks like the Push 2 will not be fully compatible with the Push 1 for 3rd party apps..

in particular it will not support the sysex display messages.

still early days to see what will be possible, but if you trade in your Push 1, N4s current push integration wont work

source reply on a comment I made here, regarding supporting the sysex display messages:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/1...ent-2339011703

reply from ableton dev:
"Diez Roggisch
Hi, Push2 developer here. The answer is unfortunately "no". The device firmware relies on full frames being sent via USB. It's not capable of any rendering."

of course, hopefully Jim could make even better integration with the lovely display it offers.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:04 AM

Mine arrived today. It's very pretty but, as expected, not talking to Numerology
Old 11-05-2015, 11:10 AM

Waiting for mine to arrive, will be doing some investigations then, and will report back.
( I'm also going to decide if to keep my P1 or not)

@Jim are you planning on getting a P2 and looking at native support, it might influence my investigations and plans.
( not after a timeframe from you, just if you think you will get a P2 or not)
Old 11-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechnobear View Post
Waiting for mine to arrive, will be doing some investigations then, and will report back.
( I'm also going to decide if to keep my P1 or not)
Let me know....

Quote:
@Jim are you planning on getting a P2 and looking at native support, it might influence my investigations and plans.
( not after a timeframe from you, just if you think you will get a P2 or not)
Nope -- too spendy for me, esp. as I just got both new Launchpads.

Jim
Old 11-05-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Let me know....

Nope -- too spendy for me, esp. as I just got both new Launchpads.

Jim
fair enough... there are so many controllers on the market now, its not really 'reasonable' for you to have one (or more) of each

... I think I mentioned before, perhaps an open controller api, might be the way forward
(lua, javascript? a similar approach to bitwig/live have with controllers)

anyway, will ping you once Ive worked out what can be done, and also what I plan to do.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:47 PM

Out of interest - what languages would be involved in developing 'something' for a Push 2 interface? I'm a python programmer and would love to fiddle

Fortunately I have two Lauchpad Mini's for Numerology duty.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobbo View Post
Out of interest - what languages would be involved in developing 'something' for a Push 2 interface? I'm a python programmer and would love to fiddle
Since the Push v1 API is very straightforward, you just need something that can process incoming MIDI intended for the Push v1, massage them for the v2, and vice-versa. You could do that in Python I suspect (if it can run standalone as a MIDI client), or in Max, etc. Numerology doesn't care if it's talking to a real Puah or not, just as long as what it is talking to speaks that protocol....

FWIW: I'm not against supporting the v2 Push, just not interested in getting one at this time.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-10-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
FWIW: I'm not against supporting the v2 Push, just not interested in getting one at this time.
But it's so pretty !!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:40 PM

ok, so mine has arrived.... first impression ... wow

ok, some initial tests...
the notes/CC that are used for the pads/encoders input and output are identical! (good for ableton making it compatible!)
... and the vibrant colours make N4 look awesome!

so now the 'changes'
- you wont get any text on the display, as we knew the 'api' for this has completely changed.
- 'user mode' is now only active when using Live, so this means...

when using N4 when LIVE is NOT running , you need to use the "ableton push 2 LIVE port"
when using N4 when LIVE is running, you need to use the "ableton push 2 USER port"

so this i think is a bit different...

actually I think overall the news is pretty good, hopefully over the next few days I will take a look at the display side.

as for can this be done from python... WELL, its not known yet.
what I know so far is :
a) when Live is running, though a process called Push2Display , this looks to have a IPC mechanism, so this would be possible via Python. as yet I don't know how 'primitive' this interface can get....
b) it may be possible when NOT running Live to run Push2Display, and access in the same way 'standalone'
c) access via USB device, this is how Push2Display works, I need to work out the low level usb protocol for this, this the code to expose this will need to be writing in C/C++.

and just as a 'tasty morsel' to keep you interested, Push2DisplayProcess has an emulator mode, which appears to emulate a push 2 - I believe its a debug tool, presumably so developers can test things without a push attached. (possibly before push2 was in manufacturing? ), seems to cover both input and output, but don't know fully till Ive managed to get Live to start it in emulator mode

anyway... now I'm off to make some music with it
Old 11-10-2015, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
so now the 'changes'
- you wont get any text on the display, as we knew the 'api' for this has completely changed.
- 'user mode' is now only active when using Live, so this means...

when using N4 when LIVE is NOT running , you need to use the "ableton push 2 LIVE port"
when using N4 when LIVE is running, you need to use the "ableton push 2 USER port"
Actually not that bad overall...

Jim