Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Groh View Post
If it was just the processing load for the messages, I'd expect an ever-increasing delay. But this doesn't seem to be the case.
So, what could explain a constant delay, yet dependent on the data rate? Some auto-adapting buffer maybe?
true for geco it appears to be more a constant latency.
on the eigenharp, however I do get increasing delays, so there is some 'threshold'.

How do you measure the latency?
I can only see it watching the OSC in data, which gives us an idea of numbers involved but not very accurate, so i think we cannot draw to many conclusions.

anyway, Jim is on the case... Im sure he will fathom the issue

btw Jim, I was thinking is there a way we can record/playback OSC data... i.e. could i produce a recording that would help you in testing?
( though its simple enough to use osctools/oscpack to write a command line app that can send a lot of data to N4 )
Old 03-31-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechnobear View Post
btw Jim, I was thinking is there a way we can record/playback OSC data... i.e. could i produce a recording that would help you in testing?
( though its simple enough to use osctools/oscpack to write a command line app that can send a lot of data to N4 )
There's the OSCSeq demo can be used to record and replay OSC streams: http://www.oscseq.com/
Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arboria Auralist View Post
There's the OSCSeq demo can be used to record and replay OSC streams: http://www.oscseq.com/
yeah, I saw this too...
unfortunately it appears to be 'clocked' with tempo in bpm, and this is not going to be fast enough for the high speed testing we need. ( ~ 1000 msg/sec)

no real issue, I can test for Jim, or put something together if necessary.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechnobear View Post
yeah, I saw this too...
unfortunately it appears to be 'clocked' with tempo in bpm, and this is not going to be fast enough for the high speed testing we need. ( ~ 1000 msg/sec)

no real issue, I can test for Jim, or put something together if necessary.
Ah, right, of course.

If you've got a copy of ChucK installed then this quick script I knocked up can be used to easily generate vast streams of OSC data.

Code:
OscSend xmit;
xmit.setHost("127.0.0.1", 7000);

function void send(int rep) {
    xmit.startMsg("/d6", "i i");
    xmit.addInt(rep);
    xmit.addInt(Math.random2(1, 6));
}

while (1) {
    Math.random2(10, 50) => int repetitions;
    while (repetitions-- > 0) {
        send(repetitions);
    }
    Math.random2(2, 20) => int pause;
    pause::ms => now;
}
Tweak the random2 bounds on the repetitions variable to affect how many messages are sent at once, and the same with the pause variable for how long it waits between sending each batch.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Hang on a bit -- I'm working on a few other things before I get back to OSC timing. Ideally I want to test w/ the actual sources folks will be using...

Jim
Old 04-02-2014, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Hang on a bit -- I'm working on a few other things before I get back to OSC timing. Ideally I want to test w/ the actual sources folks will be using...
No problem.
At least it will not be a big investment for you to buy that high-rate OSC source. I paid 100 euros for LeapMotion and 10 for GECO.
BTW, what made me want that gadget was this video, a performance by our forum member ughoenig. Not Numerology based in this case but worth to see, and I think we can imagine what we could do with the Leap/Num combination.