Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 06-19-2015, 04:42 PM

Default Controller question

Hi Jim,

I'm thinking this is probably way more work than I want to do, but would there be an easy way to set up the DJ Tech Tools MIDI Fighter Twister so it could run Numerology? It has its own step sequencer but I'm less interested in theirs!

https://store.djtechtools.com/produc...ighter-twister
Old 06-19-2015, 05:27 PM

I've used a few v-pot controllers with Numerology, this one looks pretty standard and should work fine. Things only get slightly complicated if you want changing on-screen values to update the values displayed by the knobs on the controller.

You'll need to enable 'controller reflection' in Numerology's prefs (pretty sure it's called that, I'm not in front of a Numerology computer right now to check.)

Numerology doesn't "know" the port the controller is on or something along those lines (Jim explained it someplace a long time ago,) so the controller data meant to update the location of the knob on the controller gets sent out every port that Numerology is aware of. If you have hardware synths or other controllers, you'll want to set the midi channel of your controller to 16 or something else you don't use in case one of your other devices just happens to "do stuff" when it receives the controller number being sent. Sometimes when I move my on-screen faders, weird stuff lights up on my Push, for example.

The port-spamming thing can also cause problems when using the Numerology plugin. It probably depends a lot on what DAW you're using ... I had a lot of CPU over-runs using my controllers with Ableton because of the way it handles real-time input. If I'm working with the Numerology plugin, I usually disable controller reflection.

It's great one you sort out the minor difficulties. When you change presets, the assigned knobs all jump to the new positions of the parameters, which is pretty awesome.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:12 PM

Thanks! I'm wondering about not just knob values, but the actual sequencers, since your can do a step sequencer on it. Of course, I. Order for it to work I would need Numerology to send visual data to it.