Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Eurorack Hardware > Vector Sequencer

Old 04-17-2019, 05:19 PM

Default Running Vector with your DAW - using Silent Ways "SW SYNC" VST

Running Vector with your DAW using Silent Ways "SW SYNC" VST

These instructions are quite detailed to cover different issues. It is actually quite simple! Once you get it right once you will need about 10 seconds to set it up in any new project.

OBJECTIVE
  • To sync Vector to your DAW so recording sequences is perfectly in time with your audio project.
  • These instructions use the Expert Sleepers Silent Ways suite of plugins and either a headphone out or pair of TRS outs from your audio interface.
  • Testing was with a Motu 624 using headphones out but there are instructions below for TRS out also.
SILENT WAY APPLICATION
  • The Expert Sleepers Silent Way software is available here: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html
  • The vendor recommends that you download the demo and test with your DAW and hardware prior to purchasing
  • The SW package includes eighteen different plugins and is a fantastic tool if you are a Eurorack musician who also uses a DAW
  • SW SYNC is the specific plugin to use for this operation
SETTING UP SW SYNC
  • Install Silent Ways and ensure the VST files go to a location your DAW knows about.
  • Check it is available in your DAW and if not then rescan VSTs etc.
  • Load an AUDIO track (stereo) and assign SW SYNC as an insert in that channel.
  • Assign the OUTPUT of the new audio track to a free audio output on your interface.
  • You must ensure NO OTHER AUDIO is piped to the output that SW SYNC is using. If it is, it will ruin your timing as the audio and PPQN signals get mixed together.
  • Open the SW SYNC VST and select CUSTOM 24 PPQN.
  • Some Eurorack target devices require that you select 1ST DELAY to get timing right. I found 1ST DELAY to be necessary for the Vector. Your mileage may vary.
  • Leave everything else as default in SW SYNC. See screenshot linked directly below.
https://imgur.com/a/WZKHQm5

PHYSICAL CONNECTION TO VECTOR
  • If you are using TRS OUTS (2x) you will need 1/4 inch TRS to 1/8th inch TS cables.
  • Expert Sleepers sell these https://www.perfectcircuit.com/exper...-ts-cable.html
  • You will need 2 as a minimum. I would order a couple more as you can do a lot more using SILENT WAYS than what we are doing in this tutorial
  • If you are using headphone out you will need a TRS 1/4 inch to dual mono TS 1/8th inch splitter (and possibly an adapter to your headphone jack)
  • I used https://hosatech.com/products/analog...kouts/ymp-137/
  • Connect the CLOCK output to the CLOCK input on the Vector.
  • Connect the RUN output to the RUN input on the Vector.
  • My preference is to mult both these into my Eurorack and then feed CLK and RUN to various devices but you can go straight to the Vector if you want.
STARTING THE SEQUENCER
  • Set your timing source as RC24 on the Vector by going to GLOBAL and using encoder 4 to select RC24.
  • Open a gate on a PART and connect it so a sound generator.
  • Hit PLAY in the DAW and ensure the channel is not muted.
  • Your Vector will begin running when your DAW starts a new bar (ie, not at the moment you hit PLAY)
  • Record audio into your DAW on a new audio track and zoom in to check timing against bar lines.
  • If it is noticably out, play with the 1ST DELAY setting and also check output volume is at a decent (high) level.
  • If you want to play your DAW project without kicking off the sequencer, just mute the SW SYNC channel and re-enable it when required.
  • Save your file and enjoy rock solid sequence timing from your DAW to the Vector!
TROUBLE SHOOTING
  • I found I needed 1st DELAY in SW SYNC with the Vector, but NOT with the Circadian Rhythms. Your mileage may vary.
  • If the Vector does not start on a new bar check the audio channel is not muted and the VST is enabled.
  • Check your cabling, and check you have not crossed them over to the wrong inputs.
  • If BPM on the Vector is fluctuating wildly then you may have other audio coming into your SW SYNC outputs. Ensure you do not! It will ruin everything.
  • We are dealing with science and art so a little bit of fluidity is fine here and there.

Last edited by steve.turner; 04-17-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 PM

If anyone who has done this can proof read the above as a peer check I would appreciate it please. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2019, 05:28 PM
Numerologist

It looks good to me. I have done some testing with Sync from SW, i normally sync via MIDI Clock, also from Silent Way
Old 04-17-2019, 05:30 PM

Hi Cliff, thank you very much. I hit a few snags setting it up at first so thought I would document it here. Wonderful little app.

What is the benefit of sync to midi clock?
Old 04-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Numerologist

I don't know that there's any advantage to MIDI sync vs clocks. I just happened to have the MIDI expander for Silent Way (ESX-8MD) - I use an ESX-8GT to send clocks from sync to other devices in the rack that need clock. I really should do some timing comparisons.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:16 AM

Yeah just interested. I fired up my Moog Subesequent 37 with beats and sounds from the Eurorack. The Vector makes my diverse hardware so much more usable as one system.

Hey do you know if there is a non destructive way to increase step max length in a part? Eg when I increase steps it deletes the pitch/gate etc data and I end up with blanks.