Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Hardware Synths & Effects

Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 AM

Default Master Clock generating for a modular

Okay, back in action after a way-too-long hiatus...

Basically I want to use my computer[software] to generate a Master Clock for my modular hardware, so things eventually sync up whenever I'd want to use both software and hardware. I'm using a Motu DC-coupled audio interface, which is snaked to a breakout box.

Since I don't like Silent Way (or similar), but I do like Numerology -- which totally fits my workflow -- it is the latter I want to set up as my Master Clock.

For now, I've gotten this far, in Numerology :
- Clock output to Clock In on a GateSeq., and Clock In of a Gate Generator
- Gate Out of the GateSeq to Trig In of the Gate Generator.
* All gates of the GateSeq are 'on'. I'm using the GateSeq just in case I'd like to have a syncopated Master Clock; you never know when I want to get funky.
** I'm using the Gate Generator because I want control over the clock's pulse width.
- Then from the Gate Generator Gate Out to CV In of a CV To Audio module.
- Finally from Audio Out to Audio in of the Stack Output, routed to the appropriate outputs.

This then goes to my modular's Analog Clock Dividers, etc...

Output signal is 0-5V, which suits my system fine.

So far, so good (though I'd like to know if there's an even simpler method).

What I'd need next, is separate trigger outputs for Start/Stop, so I can reset the Dividers whenever Numerology's clock stops and/or [re]starts.
Is this possible ?

cheers,
_g
Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 AM

Im doing something similar but using a Numerology LFO with pulse wave->CV2Audio->ES-1->A-160.

Anther thing that i like a lot (not for clocking purpose) is ModulationSequencer->CV2audio->ES-1->A-151 quantizer or even directly in other CV input of my modules.

only a question : why you don't like Silent Way ?
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 AM

I don't understand why you need the Gate generator to control the pulse width. couldn't you just shorten the per step gate lengths in the gate sequencer?

Welcome back !

Wade
Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 AM

I've found something which does generate a gate at Start.
Using the Numerology's main Master Clock module, going from Gate Out to Trig In on a Gate Gen module, then from there to a CV to Audio module. Which is basically the same setup as used for the clocking... only, this gives me one single pulse at the start of the Transport.

It's something, but not quite there yet.
What I'd need - I think - is T/G outputs for the internal Transport. Are there accessible somewhere ?

Overall (and yet again after so many months of not working with Numerology), I'm still a bit confused by Num's terminology. Most likely because "real" voltages (CV's, Gates, etc) are so ingrained in my system that I have a hard time wrapping my head around something which uses the same terms, but which doesn't do the same thing. If only Numerology didn't use MIDI and spew out real voltages for CV and clocks and gates...

@amsonx: I see you're using the Expert Sleepers' ES-1 interface (right?). I don't need their hardware, since my interface is DC-coupled.
I could use a LFO as a clock, but I was hoping for "something more" via another way (start/stop, reset, PWM, and more control over the clock's pulses).
I don't like SW because a) I don't really need it, given the [amount of] functionality in my modulars I have at hand, b) the mix&match of software and hardware is cumbersome (to me), and c) it's probably the ugliest software and UI I've ever witnessed; so much so it literally hurts.

@Wade: I'll have a look into that now, thanks !

Once again, apologies for not being familiar enough (yet) with Numerology. Same thing as before (last year): working on a project with a tight deadline, so no time to read up and study the manual, nor time enough in-between for some quality time with Numerology. This time things are looking better though.

cheers, all,
_g
Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
I don't understand why you need the Gate generator to control the pulse width. couldn't you just shorten the per step gate lengths in the gate sequencer?
Yep, you're right. I forgot about the Gate Adj of the GateSeq...
One modules less. Good !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
Welcome back !
Wade
Thanks ! Good to be here again.

_g
Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyd2 View Post

@amsonx: I see you're using the Expert Sleepers' ES-1 interface (right?). I don't need their hardware, since my interface is DC-coupled.
I could use a LFO as a clock, but I was hoping for "something more" via another way (start/stop, reset, PWM, and more control over the clock's pulses).
I don't like SW because a) I don't really need it, given the [amount of] functionality in my modulars I have at hand, b) the mix&match of software and hardware is cumbersome (to me), and c) it's probably the ugliest software and UI I've ever witnessed; so much so it literally hurts.

cheers, all,
_g
i agree with you about the ugly interface ..
about the Es-1 me too have a Dc coupled interface and i've found that this module is a great improvement, almost for me as i use a lot modulation from Numerology and even from SW.
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it