Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Hardware Synths & Effects

Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM

Just a link for disabling the Server part on the Mac mini server:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4827

Regards

Wade
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM

Mac mini server 2011 with Vienna Pro :

http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/31121.aspx
Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 PM

More connectivity goodness, a Thunderbolt to expresscard adapter by Sonnet technologies.

could be nice with two firewire busses on a mac mini server or expresscard audio interface:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/ec...underbolt.html
Old 02-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
I'm still checking around the net on my coming upgrade and found this setup.

Apparently you could use Wormhole to do the same thing as I was thinking using Vienna Ensemble Pro for .. And it's free.
Just thought of what could be a very interesting trick: using Wormhole transmit CV busses from Numerology on one computer to Numerology on another -- Just use the CV to Audio module on one end and the EnvelopeFollower on the other.. It would be a pretty extravagant use of resources (MIDI CCs work just fine in many cases), but for some signal type, it could be very handy....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
This is sort of relevant for using the Mac Mini for among other things Graphic multiple screens arrays or other graphic and other PCI stuff:

http://www.sonnettech.com/news/pr201...underbolt.html
Indeed -- thunderbolt is pretty awesome stuff...

Quote:
Seems like three mac minis networked with one of these PCI adapters on the master machine is a mac pro killer..
Oh, please don't say that -- I'm afraid Apple will listen!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-29-2012, 11:24 AM

Okay apple don't listen, this mac mini idea is absolutely no Mac pro killer, the big studios need more power. And boasters need it too! Forget all about this mac mini modular thing apple, the whole idea got out hand not realizable, hot air, talking silly talk, like the monty pythons silly walk, look the other way now apple, your not listening ? GOOD!

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 02-29-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 AM

Default AHWOOGA AHWOOOGA!!!! Alarming NewwWsssSSSss

On the Uhe forum a Yewser has complained about the poor performance he's getting out of his Mac mini server 2.0 Ghz with Diva..

This is not good neauwes not good neauwes at allll!

My plan was to get a pair of Mac mini servers to start my Mac mini modular setup. But if a single core can't handle a polyphonic patch with oscillator stacking, then the whole idea is flawed...

My mid 2007 iMac 2.4 Ghz is giving okay performance, so this issue with the server being less capable has me really worried!

I would have to spend serious cash to realize this mac mini modular, so it has to give me absolutely ironclad multivoice multi oscillator performance with these synths:

Diva

RAZOR

Tassman

Chromaphone

ACE

Big Sample instruments, like the True Strike Tension Kore instrument that trounces my computer..

So the mac mini modular really needs a Mac mini running at the maximum speed available which at present is 2.7 Ghz in the Duo Core upgrade.

This is valuewise a rather poor deal as you only get two cores per machine, in Denmark at the apple store it costs 1400 usd, and then you still miss the keyboard mouse and screen...

I think I need to wait for the 4 Core mac mini server to get a speed boost to at least 2.4 preferrably 2.7 Ghz before it's viable to use with my instruments of choice..

Urs Heckman has mentioned that they are working on making Diva more efficient, and further that their looking into spreading the CPU load for one instrument out over 2 or more cores.. Imagine a synth running on several cores crazy.. It has to happen though as it seems that the only increase in performance we are getting these days is an increase in the number of Cores not the actual CPU speed.

The issue with the CPU speed on the Mac Mini server is related to the PSU being an internal, this limits the cores speed apparently because of heat concerns..

So I'm now thinking that the 21.5" imac in it's next upgrade is the most ecominically and performance tuned system for my pocket book.

The next 21.5 iiMac will no doubt have the Ivy Bridge chip and in the mid model have the same clock speed as the present 27" base model a 3.1 Ghz, upgradable to 3.4 Ghz If I could get this processor(speculation) at the same price as the 21.5" upgraded model in a month or two, it could be a mac mini modular killer for a time..

The Imac will perhaps become thinner and lighter this makes the 21.5" sort of more portable. I could saw off the stand and make a tight little flight case for it so I could still get into the carryon for Air Travel.

Later I could supplement with a 2012 macbook pro 15" non glare screen.. The mac mini modular time will come, maybe in 2015 or it¨ll all just be done on the cloud in 2017

Oh the pain of living in interesting times.....

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 03-04-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 AM

" If ain't broken don't fix it. " It's an old saying but sometimes I think it should be applied to the process of specing out a new system.

The question here is if it's necessary to get the apple processor upgrades, in the iMac and the Mac minis..

I have in the previous post gone on about the problem with the Mac mini server not being powerful enough to run Diva in certain configurations.

After continuing my research I'm discovering that often users with the Maxed out iMac 3.4 Ghz i7 are also complaining about having too few voices available. I feel at the minimum 16 voices per machine is what should fairly be expected. I spec my system for live use. This gives a more intuitive and productive workflow in a studio or live situation.

Now this leads me to conclude that for plug ins that are open ended like Diva, Razor, Tassman upgrading to the i7 processors is a waste of money. The i7 processors are optimized for systems that are true multithreaded, That is a single process is spread out over several cores.. This is easily doable for things that don't need to be in realtime. For audio plugins this Realtime factor is what breaks the multithreading functionality..

So upgrades to i7 for dedicated audio plugin player workstations are not necessary. It's only if you are really using multithreading for other appplications on a regular basis that you should spend the money on the upgrades..

I'm now considering a single iMac 21.5" 2.5 Ghz i5 Quad Core networked with a single Mac Mini duo core 2.5 Ghz i5

I save about 400 usd by not going with the upgrades here in Denmark.

I'll end up with this system:

iMac 21.5 2.7 Ghz ? Quad core i5 Ivy bridge buy when released

Mac mini 2.7 Ghz ? Duo Core i5 Ivy bridge buy when released

iMac 20" 2.4 Duo core mid 2007

Mac Book pro 15" 2012 Ivy bridge 2.5 Ghz? Quad Core buy used Sept 2013

Networked over Lan using Wormhole or Vienna Pro.

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 03-05-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Now this leads me to conclude that for plug ins that are open ended like Diva, Razor, Tassman upgrading to the i7 processors is a waste of money. The i7 processors are optimized for systems that are true multithreaded, That is a single process is spread out over several cores.. This is easily doable for things that don't need to be in realtime. For audio plugins this Realtime factor is what breaks the multithreading functionality..

So upgrades to i7 for dedicated audio plugin player workstations are not necessary. It's only if you are really using multithreading for other appplications on a regular basis that you should spend the money on the upgrades..
An interesting and I think probably accurate observation -- for heavy audio calculation, a single thread per core that can really crank up is what you'll want.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 PM

I'm waiting for the mounney and waiting for the upgrades but my thought's about the whole setup shift around once again.

I'd talked about starting with getting the 2 mac minis then a 2012 macbook pro in a year and a half or so when it comes out the other end, er on the used market where I could save say 30% of the new price. Now my thoughts are that the new version macbook pro thats coming with have enough raw power to cover my needs mostly , and perhaps get a single mac mini and say stop this mad rush towards a perhaps too complex setup.

The best workflow would alway be with one single computer that can do the whole production.

This is not quite doable for a reasonable price in the mac world, sure you could get a 8 core mac pro when it comes out for say 8000 usd, but it's not portable and that 's alot of money to tie up if your are me...

So it's seems like the Ivy Bridge chips are going to tip the performance scale enough, it'll run cooler and therefore they will be able to pump up the Cpu to 2.5 or 2.6 quad core in a single Macbook pro 15" This combined with a SSD drive would pack alot of power.

Then to flesh out the system I could get one single mac mini server new version when it comes out, perhaps it also will have a 2.5 quad core processor.

This scenario if it works out would be a most attractive solution. you wouldn't even need an ethernet hub, just plug the cable directly between the two computers. 8 cores for a total of 20 Ghz of computing brash and brawn...

No need for Vienna Pro in this Scenario either just use Wormhole..

So my plan now is to get the Macbook Pro with the antiglare screen top model with no upgrade to processor or hardisk, and install the max ram.

Use it at home with the iMac, later when the Mac mini server comes out in say Oct-Dec I'll get my friends at Five12 to send me a Mac mini serv whoops----> in a parallel universe this might happen, but it seems like CPU power is the spice of planet earth. Like in the Dune series on the planet Arrakis, everything revolved around the spice, and the lack of water. Here on earth it's all about the CPU and the heat they generate...

Wade