Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 12-26-2010, 07:18 AM

Default Using numerology in live ?

I am trying numerology , its got some vey cool features compared to live's archaic sequencing.

but i dont know whats the best way to use it in live.

any users in here ?

some questions, if i have a numerology with a mono sequence for the bass as a poly sequence for melody , how to route one to a midi track and the other to another midi track

what is the best worlflow ?

thanx !
Old 12-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Numerologist

IMO there's no "best" way as everyone uses Live differently. But both AU and Rewired instances of N3 show up as virtual MIDI outputs in Live, so (from memory I believe it is) just Shift-Command-T, drop in your fav plugin, select N3 as your track's MIDI input.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:12 AM

thanx,

but i mean , is there a way to have one numerology with 1 monosequencer and one plysequencer, and then send only the monosequencer data to a midi track and then the poly sequence data to another midi track in live ?

or do i have to have two instances of numerology ?

doubling the number of tracks is something that i hate.

Also , the incoming midi comes into live with a delay ?

is this a normal behavior ?

shouldn't it be in sync ?

is there s a way to set numerology to send midi in sync ?

Last edited by TweakingKnobs; 12-26-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Numerologist

Try putting the seqs on different MIDI channels? Otherwise, you can do 2 different instances of the AU. Or Rewire and use different outputs. There's almost always multiple ways of accomplishing what you want to do in Num.

Also, the latency is normal (actually, all plug-ins have latency it's just that Live auto-corrects for plugins that publish their latencies to the host. Dunno exactly _why_ the N3 AU doesn't do this but I believe the answer is non-trivial.)

At any rate, the timing itself is sample-accurate so you just enter a pre-delay and go. Look around the forum for determining the best pre-delay or just tweak by ear (usually what I do.)
Old 12-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Check out chapters 13 & 15 of the manual for answers to some of these questions. If you are working with Live and want to host your AU's there, then the AU is the best option, but you have to create one instance per part. If you want to keep all your Numerology stuff in one instance, then use ReWire mode (start Live, then Numerology). A few more comments below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakingKnobs View Post
thanx,
but i mean , is there a way to have one numerology with 1 monosequencer and one plysequencer, and then send only the monosequencer data to a midi track and then the poly sequence data to another midi track in live ?

or do i have to have two instances of numerology ?
If you run Numerology standalone or in ReWire mode, you have one instance of Numerology and use Numerology's virtual MIDI ports or IAC busses to route separate MIDI streams to Live (or elsewhere). For the AU, you use multiple instances (each Numerology AU hosts a single stack of modules), and use the virtual MIDI port created by each instance to route MIDI. See Chapter 15 of the manual for an example.

Quote:
Also , the incoming midi comes into live with a delay ?
is this a normal behavior ?
This is normal behavior in OS X anytime you send MIDI from one program to the other. The same thing happens when you send MIDI to external hardware and then record the audio. With Live, the easiest way to manage latency is with track delays: Use a negative delay on the track that is playing late -- with Numerology that usually means the track with the AU you are targeting. I'll have a video on this subject up in a few days.

Quote:
shouldn't it be in sync ?
If you are referring to the latency, see the above response. For sync in general: For ReWire mode and the AU, transport sync is automatic. When running standalone, use MIDI sync (Chapter 14 in the manual).

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 AM

Smile

Thanx brother !!!

im trying numerology , im liking it , might buy it soon , i just need to try it out more , but i like it so far.

i will write some suggestions in another thread.

Tags
live