Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 03-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steff3 View Post
how about the MIDI keyboard module to change note on velocity according to where you press the key (like we have that in virtual instruments - preferably with user selectable polarity) ...
I'll look into it...

Jim
Old 03-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Numerologist

Default Changes in the timeline...

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the changes in the timeline, I look forward to using them.
I'm sure that arranging in the timeline will be more user friendly. Numerology is becoming the analog style sequencer that electronica composers like me have dreamed of for years.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 PM

Default good stuff

Very cool stuff in the new updates, couple of comments. For the step entry mode would it be possible to a) have some kind of marker or color change to indicate which step will be edited, and b) a way to cursor to a different step while doing step editing (I'm on step 14, arrow key left a couple of times, and the insert marker is on step 9). Thanks for the consideration and keep up the awesometastic work Jim.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:59 PM

Default odd timeline behavior

The timeline seems to intermittently get confused about what to do if it doesn't have a preset starting at bar 1 for a track. If the first preset in the track doesn't start at bar 1, it'll sometimes play preset 1 when started even if it shouldn't be playing anything until bar N.

To try and reproduce, assign a preset one bar long starting at bar two. It should play back as expected, eg, nothing happening until bar 2 when you hit the spacebar. Now, "do stuff" to the track ... add a couple bars to the preset by dragging, add another preset after the first one, etc. If you get what I get, it should sometimes play "as expected," and sometimes start playing preset 1 at bar one even if there's nothing defined there. The timeline only seems unsure about what to do about blank track space at the head of the track ... once it gets to where presets are defined, it functions as expected.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Default odd timeline behavior

On Mar 27, 2009, at 11:59 PM, m5tevens wrote:

Quote:
> The timeline seems to intermittently get confused about what to do
> if it doesn't have a preset starting at bar 1 for a track. If the
> first preset in the track doesn't start at bar 1, it'll sometimes
> play preset 1 when started even if it shouldn't be playing anything
> until bar N.
>
> To try and reproduce, assign a preset one bar long starting at bar
> two. It should play back as expected, eg, nothing happening until
> bar 2 when you hit the spacebar. Now, "do stuff" to the track ...
> add a couple bars to the preset by dragging, add another preset
> after the first one, etc. If you get what I get, it should sometimes
> play "as expected," and sometimes start playing preset 1 at bar one
> even if there's nothing defined there. The timeline only seems
> unsure about what to do about blank track space at the head of the
> track ... once it gets to where presets are defined, it functions as
> expected.
Yup, I'm well aware of this one, will fix next week. The workaround
is to create a 'muted' preset and stick that at the head of the
track. Definitely let me know about any other timeline oddities you
find....

Jim
Old 03-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Default good stuff

On Mar 27, 2009, at 4:56 PM, kaioconnell wrote:

Quote:
> Very cool stuff in the new updates, couple of comments. For the step
> entry mode would it be possible to a) have some kind of marker or
> color change to indicate which step will be edited, and b) a way to
> cursor to a different step while doing step editing (I'm on step 14,
> arrow key left a couple of times, and the insert marker is on step
> 9). Thanks for the consideration and keep up the awesometastic work
> Jim.
I'm working on that. The 'write cursor' is already a modulatable
param (if you add a ParamMod module and
target a NoteSeq, you'll see it in the param list). I just have to
decide on the correct way to make it
visible, and to add 'prev' and 'next' buttons....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
What you're really looking for is a MIDI piano roll -- there is nothing else that will operate the way you describe. There's a very good chance that I'll add such a module to Numerology, but it will be a while before that happens. The note sequencers in Numerology are very much step sequencers, which is a very different way of working. Note that I did not use the term "midi recording" when describing the new record features, that's because there is no MIDI recorded -- it is used to set sequencer steps, which record their values very differently. There are a few tweaks I'd like to make to the current recording feature, such as being able to sustain notes across steps in the PolyNote, but it will never work exactly like a piano roll.
Well, i thing you wrong, what i'm looking for, it's enough flexible and well designed step sequencer, and you quite close to it already, add few things like that sustain method and editing cursor, so we can choose which step to edit, and may be something more...don't know, now it is good enough to input values of steps, but not relations between steps, dynamics of changes...

Also, it is very good and appreciated that you want your product to be different, i myself trying to do make my works different, or, as i prefer, original, but it doesn't mean that it must not be good for things that not so "different", like fast and straightforward work You know, i have bicycle which is very different from others, but i still can ride it without any special tricks (Strida 5.0). And about piano roll, looks like we have kind of two different schools, like "piano roll" and "step sequencer" teams, like west coast east coast stuff...haha, what's the point in it, main thing it's to make music...

I'm not really musician, i don't need to write long scores or something, i'm doing quite minimalistic stuff, many times in my step sequencer only two or three active steps, al i need is to be able to put those steps at right time in right place...and do it fast and intuitive way...for now it looks lie it is easier for me to do it by hand. Anyway, looking forward to feature add-ons.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:33 AM

Default Realtime recording of gates

I need to get more acquainted with this app and its new features so i'm not absolutely sure that this is not possible, but in realtime recording i think it would be great if you could adjust gate-value with a CC. Only the gates of the notes you record will change to the current equivalent value of the CC.

When multiple steps can be recorded by holding down a key, it should then be possible to record a different gate for every step by changing the CC value while holding down the key. And how about recording gates without recording notes? Could use a key, that wouldn't be recorded, to disable/enable gate-recording…

If i'm not being clear here, just let me know

Maybe this should've been posted under "Feature Requests", but i also consider it feedback on the new recording feature.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Default Realtime recording of gates

On Mar 31, 2009, at 9:34 AM, fleskus wrote:

Quote:
> I need to get more acquainted with this app and its new features so
> i'm not absolutely sure that this is not possible, but in realtime
> recording i think it would be great if you could adjust gate-value
> with a CC. Only the gates of the notes you record by pressing a key
> will change to the current equivalent value of the CC.
>
> When multiple steps can be recorded by holding down a key, it should
> then be possible to record a different gate for every step by
> changing the CC value while holding down the key. And how about
> recording gates without recording notes? Could use a key, that
> wouldn't be recorded, to disable/enable gate-recording
>
> If i'm not being clear here, just let me know
This is an interesting idea, but to me it would seem to apply more to
step recording than realtime. My goal for gates and realtime
recording is to have the gates values adjust to more accurately
reflect what is played, including tied notes. Or am I missing
something?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 PM

It may be helpful to know that i had the MonoNote and nanokontrol in mind when writing this post. And i hope it's not a total mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
This is an interesting idea, but to me it would seem to apply more to
step recording than realtime. My goal for gates and realtime
recording is to have the gates values adjust to more accurately
reflect what is played, including tied notes. Or am I missing
something?
Cheers,
Jim
Yes, it would be very much applicable to step recording too, and i think it would be very strange not to include this in step recording if it were implemented for realtime recording It's just that i've used realtime more, and so i used that as a basis. I should've mentioned it as a suggestion for both recording methods.

Maybe there could be a way to choose whether to record gate from the keypress or the CC in realtime mode then, since these features collide? A flexible way could be a midi switch to toggle gate recording from keyboard and/or introduce a button in the sequencer interface. This functionality can not be in effect when the assigned CC is active(explained below).

I'll try to better explain and add some absolutely necessary functionality to make this idea work:
I didn't think of this when i wrote the first post, but you absolutely have to be able to use a midi switch (or non recordable key) to toggle whether a CC value should change gate (or other parameter) when you press a key.
By setting the CC value to zero you could record a pause lasting several steps by holding down a key in realtime mode (in step recording mode you could of course just tap several times to produce the same effect), or you could set a small value to record many short notes just by holding down a key, or turn the knob to get varying gates (or other parameter values) while you play or hold keys, recordable or non recordable. It could replace quite a bit of mouse use if the same method could be used on most or all step parameters.

Example:
With the nanokontrol i'm (hopefully) getting in a couple of days, i could assign knob1 to gate and switch1 to toggle whether knob1 decides gate value when i press a key. So if switch1 is off, gates are left alone and only the pitch (and/or other parameters) is recorded. If other parameters could be recorded the same way, i could then assign fader1 to CV1 and use switch2 to toggle, and so on.

About the write cursor:
In the same vein as my other suggestion, i'd like to be able to do this with a midi controller (i think i'm not the first one to suggest this), and i have a rough idea of how that could work: Values between 60 to 68 (or something like that) is a dead zone. Once you get outside that, you jump the same (or maybe half) amount of steps as the CC-values change, but when you get closer to zero or max, the position changes at a speed. When you turn the knob towards center again, it immediately stops jumping steps once you get (or when you are) inside the "relative values zone".

An example of the midi controlled cursor with everything mentioned here implemented: you could set gates, CV1,2,3, velocity, etc, for all steps, to the values you've set on the enabled controls on your midi controller with one sweep through the steps.

Basically, i would like to be able to do most of the programming of the sequencer with a midi controller/keyboard.

André