Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Siderial

Old 08-23-2010, 03:14 AM

Well in the end running tiger or leopard is not a big deal to me if the marginal benefits are only minor and the marginal cost is probably steeper than wanted. If Num runs fine on tiger without OS related crashes i'm happy to stick to that.

Just received the replacement HD, a samsung spinpoint hm160hc. One of the few non sata 2,5" still available but a pretty fast one i believe plus way more storage than the original 30 gb the ibook had.

Will get started on it tonight after work. Is holding the heating radiator every now and then enough to keep static free? Any advice on what type of footwear to put on? I've replaced cpu's and pci cards in desktops before as well as placing memory, but i guess this replacement is a bit different.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Bingo! And every major OS release going back at least to 10.3
Wow. Thanks for that info. I seriously couldn't find any details like that in the marketing material for the new developer program. It talked all about access to new versions of software, and didn't mention a peep about old software.

That info will come in useful at my day job, too. Because for our Mac development, they got us a bunch of new Mac Minis and they're all running 10.6. And I already have at least two bug reports to work on which aren't reproducible in 10.6 but the submitter assures us they occur on 10.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthmann View Post
Is holding the heating radiator every now and then enough to keep static free? Any advice on what type of footwear to put on? I've replaced cpu's and pci cards in desktops before as well as placing memory, but i guess this replacement is a bit different.
Well, I can't personally guarantee it for you, but I've never bothered wearing special footwear when changing drives or other hardware and I usually just touch something metal that can dissipate charge.

Last edited by blurk; 08-23-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:14 PM

Well i replaced the HD which was far less difficult than I expected. Installed tiger from the dvd and ran all the updates it found afterwards. Installed Num 2.3 and all was fine. Then i wanted to install Virtual string machine from Gforce but it wouldn't recognize the dvd. It doesn't even recognize the osx install dvd anymore, although it installed flawlessly from it...

In won't eject discs either while turned on, only just after powering on the unit during boot, will it eject discs. It't not a very big deal as i didn't plan on installing much disc based software, but i would have liked to put VSM on there and maybe Stylus RMX which is on many discs...i reset PRAM without effect.

Maybe one of the updates screwed something up?
Disk utility recognizes the VSM dvd but will not mount it and says it has a bad node structure.

So far the rest of the ibook runs just fine and the new HD is pretty fast considering this machine is almost six years old...

Any clues with regard to the combo drive working fine and then not?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthmann View Post
Well i replaced the HD which was far less difficult than I expected. Installed tiger from the dvd and ran all the updates it found afterwards. Installed Num 2.3 and all was fine. Then i wanted to install Virtual string machine from Gforce but it wouldn't recognize the dvd. It doesn't even recognize the osx install dvd anymore, although it installed flawlessly from it...

In won't eject discs either while turned on, only just after powering on the unit during boot, will it eject discs. It't not a very big deal as i didn't plan on installing much disc based software, but i would have liked to put VSM on there and maybe Stylus RMX which is on many discs...i reset PRAM without effect.

Maybe one of the updates screwed something up?
Disk utility recognizes the VSM dvd but will not mount it and says it has a bad node structure.

So far the rest of the ibook runs just fine and the new HD is pretty fast considering this machine is almost six years old...

Any clues with regard to the combo drive working fine and then not?
Hard to say. Check to see if there have been any firmware updates for your mac at apple.com/support. Also, if you had to remove the data cable from the optical drive when installing the HD, you may want to check it again, it might be loose.

As for VSM, check the GForce website, I believe they have an installer update that may work.

Jim
Old 08-24-2010, 02:12 AM

thanks Jim,

I checked the apple support site and they had a section on optical drive problems. I reset the PMU and now it works again. Put in the VSM disc and recognized immediately!

so tonight i'm going to give the machine a good test run with Num2.3 and if it works ok I'll quickly get the upgrade to Num3 Pro!
Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Excellent -- great to hear that you got that resolved.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-24-2010, 03:55 PM

thanks again for all the help in this thread! I've got the system up and running and the thread below you find the first jam session I recorded this evening!

http://five12.net/showthread.php?p=4371#post4371